Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power steering problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 PM
lefty03
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering problem!!

Has anyone else had problems with the power steering? I had my car sitting for a week, unfortunately, and when I returned the power steering started giving me problems.

Heres the essentials:
2004 MCS
70,000 miles
Power steering works goes on and off.

When I turn the wheel I can feel it go from heavy resistance to only needing light pressure all in the same breath, which has been more than scary a few times....

I tried searching but didn't find a thread with the same issues. Anyone have any ideas or know where to direct me?

Any advice is much appreciated...
i dont think this one is going to be a cheap fix

Old 01-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Alerious
3rd Gear
hmmmm... I'd consider just disabling the power steering pump in the meantime and attempt to find a replacement on ebay or through some salvage yard... at least that way you can try and save some money on the part... seems it'd also be safer/better to have a consistent heavy feel in the steering rather than having to apply varying amounts of pressure.

GotMINI

Old 01-12-2008, 07:09 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen this many times and 90% of the time it's a failed pump, all the other times the wiring was corroaded.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:54 AM
lefty03
1st Gear
Thanks for the responses, hopefully it is just the wiring.. One mechanic didn't think it was the pump because it still gave some juice every once in a while. I'm taking it to the dealer on tuesday for a few unrelated issues...

Old 01-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Rawhyde
5th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 1 Post
Does it work, then not work, then work again in very rapid succession? Like a switch being flicked on and off really fast? If that's the case, it could be low on power steering fluid and could need refilling and bleeding. Of course, the problem that caused the initial loss of fluid would need to be corrected as well.

When my power steering pump failed, it continued to run after the key was turned off. I was under warranty, so I crawled under the car and unplugged it to avoid potential overheating issues (Fire BAD!) and took it in to be fixed.

Rawhyde

Old 01-13-2008, 06:02 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
Remember it is not your standard power steering fluid that is used. So, if anyone has used anything but the proper fluid you will eventually have a failed pump. Petroison 11S is the proper hydralic fluid.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
I've seen this many times and 90% of the time it's a failed pump, all the other times the wiring was corroaded.
+1, with that many miles your pump probably went ka put. It's very common.

For the record JAGFIXER, the power steering fluid is Pentosin CHF 11S, which is available at most import car parts stores for about $20/liter.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 PM
JAGFIXER
2nd Gear
Sorry about the spelling. I was just in the garage and saw the can and came in to edit and you beat me to it. Hydralic Fluid Pentosin CHF 11S, I bought thru AutoBarn for $25 a ltr. 4 years ago. Used in Bimmers and originally SAABs and Rolls Royces.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Chicago Cruzer
Neutral
My mini has 67k on it and i had the same symptoms. I brought it to the dealer and needed the steering rack replaced.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:39 AM
lefty03
1st Gear
Yeah, it feels like it's flicking on and off, but the power steering fluid tank is full. This morning on my way to school it felt like there was more resistance than if the power steering was off altogether. I think it probably is the steering rack. I have to drive it up to Classic Mini today and have them take a look at it.
thanks for the responses!! Anyone know how much a steering rack replacement should cost at the dealer vs having a non-dealer BMW mechanic work on it?

Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM
lefty03
1st Gear
I'm going to post this just in case anyone is having the same issue.

I ended up having it towed the Classic Mini because the steering started to completely lock up. It ended up being the steering column bearing. Apparently it was very corroded, damn Ohio's salty streets!!
Bottom line: $375
It cost less than replacing the glove box that my ladyfriend accidently knock out....

Old 01-15-2008, 07:15 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the update!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:41 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lefty03
I'm going to post this just in case anyone is having the same issue.

I ended up having it towed the Classic Mini because the steering started to completely lock up. It ended up being the steering column bearing. Apparently it was very corroded, damn Ohio's salty streets!!
Bottom line: $375
It cost less than replacing the glove box that my ladyfriend accidently knock out....
I thought I was the one of the only people with this.
I started to hear a sound under the dash and took it in under warranty. I thought it was the pump, but it was the column bearings and they replaced the whole thing.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
OK, just for the sake of conversation, when my drive belt disintegrated the other day, I had to limp about a mile to a pull off. In that time my power steering pump (which ran fine)quit running. Dint see any collateral damage. No blown fuses. Fixing the belt tomorrow, but am perplexed why a system that is designed to be independent of the engine would fail at the same time. Cant really check further until the belt is back on. Any ideas?

Last edited by Montana Miniac; 01-16-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM
revronrowl
1st Gear
My just purchased 2 weeks ago 04 cooper automatic is leaking power steering fluid. My street corner mechanic said it is leaking at the hoses and the rack. Said it would cost $1600 to repair. If so, I'm trading it in on something else. I love the car but the costs of repairs and potential transmission failure, is getting me nervous about owning such a car. Anyone have an idea if $1600 is too high or spot on?? Any advice as to purchasing the rack or parts as to where to look?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:07 PM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
Montana,

I can't say I know this with certainty but the circuit which controls the power steering pump may be activated by whether the alternator is spinning (i.e. generating) or not. With your belt disintegrated the alternator may not have been spinning like it should, and your pump shut down thinking you were just sitting in the car chilling to your radio.

I suppose another possibility is that without the belt, the power steering pump drained the battery to the point where it could no longer drive the pump.

Either way a new belt and starting the car should solve the problem. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM
revronrowl
1st Gear
Yeah... I have no idea if the belt blew or not. My steering seems fine. No problems like the ones mentioned in the earlier posts. Just fluid on the floor. I'm taking it to the dealer to get an official diagnosis and price. I'm taking some heart medicine now to get ready for the news.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
The Italian Job
1st Gear
revronrowl,

My post was actually aimed at Montana Miniac who posted just before you.

I empathize with you completely. I love driving my MINI but the cost of repairs is hard on the heart, even for the do-it-yourselfer. $1600 sounds about right for a replacing the steering rack, I understand the part itself is not cheap, and they have been known to blow seals. Usually they fill up the rubber boots at the ends of the steering rack when that happens and they blow up like balloons.

Hopefully its just a hose leak. The hoses seem to be easy enough to replace, although I have no idea how much the high pressure hose assembly would run. Seems odd to me that the hoses would leak and the rack would blow out its seals at the same time. With any luck the hose started leaking all over the rack and your mechanic assumed they were both leaking; or something like that.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
revronrowl
1st Gear
Thanks Italian, I'll see what the dealer says. Hopefully it is hoses only.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Montana Miniac
2nd Gear
Thanks for your suggestion Italian Job. It actually makes pretty good sense. I will try and get a look at the wiring at the pump to check for corrosion, then I have a belt and tool on the way from Out Motoring.com. Great outfit IMO. Thanks everyone. (JD)

Old 01-16-2008, 06:09 PM
HVYWGHT
1st Gear
Sounds familiar.

My steering pump sounded like it was working extremely hard. Took it in and found out it needed a new steering rack, a new drive belt, new shifter cables and new REAR brakes. And no, I have never replaced the front brakes and they are still within tolerance.

Ridiculous. Also ridiculous b/c my warranty just expired 12 days before and i only have ~46k miles on it. Feeling a bit put out by all of this. Kind of expensive to boot.

I wonder how many racks have needed replacing. The dealer told me only 2 other cars. Seems like a design flaw.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:08 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
There are two connectors on the pump...one two wire and one three wire....please advice on where to look for corrosion.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:52 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HVYWGHT
I wonder how many racks have needed replacing. The dealer told me only 2 other cars. Seems like a design flaw.
Replaced mine under warranty on my 05 S at 15K. blew a O-ring in the bellows, $1,390 + 130 (4 wheel align). It's not that's it's a design flaw, it's just that 02-06 Minis have a lot of weird Rover technology left in them. And yes one reason BMW went with all-electric steering in the 07s was to exorcise themselves of Rover steering demons past. I have a feeling yr stealership has replaced more than 2 racks, they just didn t want to alarm ya.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:59 PM
frenchie
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just recieved this information from BBA Remanufacturing, Inc.

We repair the power steering pump for the Mini Cooper for $200 plus shipping. It usually takes about 2 days and then we call you for payment. The part will come with a lifetime warranty as long as you own the vehicle.

Thank you for your question.

BBA Remanufacturing, Inc
300 Myles Standish Blvd.
Taunton, MA 02780

Last edited by frenchie; 03-24-2008 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
tenofclubs
Neutral
Sucess in Getting BMW to pay for power steering pump repair

Quick Reply: Power steering problem!!