Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINI USA Re: Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 01:45 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
thread moved to beneath the bonnet since this is warranty related.

Old 07-18-2003, 03:51 PM
JiminVirginia
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've noted this before, and MINI USA has talked to me about it, but I just want the general reader to know that there are more of us with cracked windshields. This isn't rare, or MINI USA wouldn't be commenting on it.

MINI of Sterling, which I respect as a professioanl outfit, quotes me $800 to replace my windshield. My complaint is that I am afraid this will just be the first of many replacements, a la Dave in Denver.

I think MINI USA owes it to me (and to others like me) to do what it can to assure me that it will not turn many of our MINI owning experiences into a financially unsustainable sequence of broken windshields. There has to be a limit to this.

For those of you who have not had to replace your windshields, and even to those who never will have to, your resale value will nevertheless be affected by what Dave in Denver and people like me go through. Try persuading your prospective buyer that they won't have to fork over $800 a year to chronically replace the same part.

Let's hope MINI does something constructive. At any rate, I appreciate MINI USA communicating about it.

Old 07-21-2003, 09:55 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
Got the new Windshield....

Covered by warranty

Tape up your Crack as soon as you see it! (that sounds fun)

Anyhow, I have 19k on the Mini... crack was in top center ( classic location as stated earlier)

Assael Mini in Monrovia, Ca Acknowledged it immediatly and replaced it according to the warranty.

Do I care how or why it cracked... Yup.
Did I learn how or why? Nope

Do I care Now? Not until the new one cracks.

So the deal here is, Inspect your crack yourself first.... and as soon as you SEE the crack... clean up your crack and put tape all over your crack, to prevent road debris from chipping it.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:16 PM
thejamesgang
2nd Gear
>>>>I am wondering if the cracks may be related to temp difference asssuming the windshield is defective in materials and/or design. Mine cracked after a very warm day followed by a cooler night. The crack began in the lower passenger corner when the air from the fan (cool) hit it and the morning dew was on the windshield....
>>

Sounds like the same thing that was happening to us during V22 Flight Test in Yuma, AZ. 105 all day, 75 at night. We left on a saturday night, came in monday morning and 2 windshields were spiderwebbed. Happened while the duty watch was in a hut 50 feet away so we ruled out vandalism.
The ironic part? PPG glass in every window and windshield on a V22.

Old 07-22-2003, 02:22 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
The 4+ windshield club

DiD
macncheese
RandyBMC

Old 07-22-2003, 03:23 PM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today, just TODAY I noticed this thread. Thought nothing of it. I go wash my car. (it's about 105 today).....dry it........come inside, shower, go off to run an errand, and as soon as I sit in the car - BAM!!! I see it like it's glowing neon or something:

:smile:

Old 07-22-2003, 03:26 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Lower corner right through the VIN. Yeah, I've had that one.

If you are going to put tape on it, I would use scotch tape since it's in your field of view.

Old 07-22-2003, 03:32 PM
macncheese
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep. thats the same location I have right now :smile: Welcome to the club.

--
Cheese

Old 07-22-2003, 03:38 PM
mightyMiniz
Banned
It has nothing to do with you washing it....

Use scotch or clear packing tape.

Old 07-22-2003, 05:56 PM
Gas2Hi
2nd Gear
MiniUSA: Any updates,,,Comments?

Old 07-23-2003, 06:30 AM
MEmini
2nd Gear
>>I wonder if MINI USA realizes the gold mine they have in the input you folks are providing? In essence its a database for windshield failure as a function of mileage and geography. They can't get that in a lab or with a computer.

MiniDivision must be on vacation....since he /she is failing to respond...Is there someone out there who could start a database on this and post on the most frequented 3-4 sites? We may need this info for our class action suit. :evil: :???:

Old 07-23-2003, 09:43 AM
fabooj
1st Gear
Wow, glad to hear that Assael took care of you. I'm on my way to take my car in AGAIN (9th since July 2002) to get my windshield replace. I got the chip in my window when we took it to Universal MINI July 2002). They're idiot's, so I never wanted them to touch my car again. Had my car in for malfunctioning bits (shocker right?) last Thursday, picked it. Going down the 210...I hit Pasadena then realise that the glare over in the right corner was a 6 in crack! When I got home, I got on my mobile and Kevin said they'll replace it. I hope they don't have it longer than a day. They're notorious for keeping our car for 2 - 7 days at a time.

Old 07-23-2003, 07:25 PM
jwhcars
3rd Gear
Here I am driving the 80 miles to the dealer,time to get the rear latch fixed,oil changed & tire rotation and more. WHACK BOOM well there goes the windshield hit buy a rock or something. Not a car in front of me , must have been thrown from the other lane going the opposite direction .

NOW I have to wonder will the new glass be defective?Time will tell $800 are they. out of their minds or what!!

Old 07-24-2003, 10:10 AM
hafid
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, no warranty coverage on mine (see pic above). The white dot you see next to the crack is a chip and they're saying that's the cause.

Thankfully, today I learned I have zero deductible windshield coverage through my insurance so they're going to have to get used to this I suppose.

In all my life of owning cars, I've never cracked a windshield. First time for everything I suppose.

haf :smile:

Old 07-24-2003, 10:15 AM
mightyMiniz
Banned
FABOOJ!

Firstly Welcome to MCO...

when I sent my mini in for windshield replacement they said it would be in their shop for 2 days.... Which was fine with me.

I think they just wanted to wash it and pamper it for the 24 hours after the replacement.

Old 07-26-2003, 09:35 AM
m3jstock
2nd Gear
Guys and gals,

Go to NHTSA website and fill out a complaint form about this.
This really is a safety issue and MINI USA should take care of this.

The form takes a bit to fill in, but it is worth it. NHTSA keeps track of all these forms.

Also, write to your favourite car magazine. I am planning on writing to the BMWCCA
Roundel and ask the technical advisor there.

MINI USA commenting on these forums is not proof that they are working on a solution.
Or they will cover these repairs.

We should really start a cracked windshield database like the E46 M3 group did for the engine failures.
BMW eventually fixed them but after the topic got a lot of press from several auto magazines.

Contact C&D (Brock Yates owns an MCS), contact European Car, contact GRM.

Bora

Old 07-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Sullivan'sDaddy
3rd Gear
Is this happening to only S's?

Old 07-26-2003, 12:49 PM
MEmini
2nd Gear
>>We should really start a cracked windshield database like the E46 M3 group did for the engine failures.
>>BMW eventually fixed them but after the topic got a lot of press from several auto magazines.

OK, I agree! Who is able to do this and post it on all 3 sites and then compile the info.... It would be helpful to have some facts and figures when writing..

Old 07-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Hank
4th Gear
Trust me I am from the US Government!

Old 07-26-2003, 01:09 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
My test drive car at the dealer had a crack (VIN type). My MA said is was damage from a stone...I heard another MA say that the shop door slammed down on it. People, if you're gonna lie, at least get your STORY straight!! :evil:

Old 07-26-2003, 02:54 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
I posted to this thread this morning. I was the first one to respond and now I came back to find that my post was deleted and no one even notified me. What did I write that was so wrong?

Confused........

Old 07-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Deli
6th Gear
Do you remember what you said? Are you sure the post was properly transmitted?

Old 07-26-2003, 03:12 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
I remember most of it: let's see if it gets deleted again.......

I wrote:

"What? Nobody has responded to MINIDivision's comments?

Okay, MINIUSA has heard us when we said "windshields", but why haven't they heard "stumble".

How many windshields needed to get cracked before MINIUSA piped up"

^^ Now was that worthy of getting deleted?

Old 07-26-2003, 03:13 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
>>I posted to this thread this morning. I was the first one to respond and now I came back to find that my post was deleted and no one even notified me. What did I write that was so wrong?
>>
>>Confused........

Harmini: your post wasn't deleted MINI Division started a post a while ago that resides here in Beneath the Bonnet. Then they posted again in MINI Talk. You commented in the MINI Talk thread this morning. It is still there.

Dave

Old 07-26-2003, 03:18 PM
HARMINI
5th Gear
LOL @ me

Quick Reply: MINI USA Re: Windshields