Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

MINI USA Re: Windshields

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 07:58 AM
LizzyBobio
OVERDRIVE
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My windshield cracked last week! I think that a rogue snowflake hit it just right.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:49 AM
MrWhoa
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
somewhat off topic but... The more stuff I see about dealers not honoring warrenty work, in this case the windshield if there is the smallest crack in it, the more I let my worries about my warrenty being void due to mods

Seems like MINI is just looking for any reason to tell you to go to hell on a warrenty repair...

Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't go into detail again about MINI's refusal to fix my stress-cracked windshield, and tomorrow I am having a new one installed.

I am doing it through my insurance company and the glass shop is giving me a discount to help with my insurance deductible, so my out-of-pocket expense is minor. The glass shop gave me the option of OEM or PPG glass, and I demanded that I get the PPG so that BMW cannot profit one cent from their bad glass and refusal to fix something that should have been a warranty issue.

The windshield has been my only problem with my MINI or with MINI-USA's customer service.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM
kensmini
3rd Gear
My windshield cracked, on its own, while warming in the sun in a parking lot two weeks ago. It's a 6 inch crack and begins in the lower left (driver's) side of the glass and extends diagonally upward toward the rearview mirror.

The service manager at my dealership took one look at it and agreed that it was the "dreaded stress fracture" and told me it would be replaced under warranty. Since then, the process of getting the glass replaced hasn't been fun but that's been more of a scheduling and parts availablity issue. In fact, my current delay is due to the dealer not wanting to put in the first windshield they had in-stock because it was pitted. I can certainly appreciate that. I'm supposed to pick up the car this afternoon.

I contacted MINI Div to make sure they had my VIN and record of the windshield crack.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:42 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the bright side, I recently spoke with my insurance company and for an additional $4 per year, I can lower my deductible so that I will not have any out-of-pocket expenses for windshields.

Hopefully, the PPG glass is stronger than the MINI glass and I won't have any further problems once the aftermarket glass is installed tomorrow.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:54 AM
jceviche
2nd Gear
My windshield sustained an 8 inch long crack on the lower corner driver side just above the vin number. This happened one cold morning while warming up the engine at the driveway. BMW denied warranty coverage because of a stone pit a size of a pen Dot along the cracked area. The high numbers of windshield that have cracked on the same general location (above the bin number) is definitely an indication that stress is a big factor for the windshield cracking. Could someone start a survey to find out the number of cracked windshields and at what part of the windshield the crack originated from. I am hoping that with the survey result we can convince BMW and NHTSA that there is stress problem on MINI windshield. I found this at NHTSA http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...in/results.cfm Should we all file a complaint to be heard?.

Old 01-19-2004, 12:44 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
>> BMW denied warranty coverage because of a stone pit a size of a pen Dot along the cracked area. ?.

I got my first windshield crack at about 18K miles...lower right corner, started at edge just a few inches up from the bottom of the shield, and cracking arched down toward the bonnet.

Dealer did the "pen" test--detected a very small "spot" which he claims was an impact (about the size of a pencil point--much smaller than a pencil eraser).

I will make a report to NHTSA...haven't gotten it repaired yet...
and I will sign any petition that someone starts on this subject!

Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 PM
Smokey
6th Gear
Dave - I just forwarded this to my contact at MINI asking for a followup. I'll post when I hear something. - Mark
Any word yet?

Come on MINIUSA

Old 01-23-2004, 01:59 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
To BMW/MINI USA,

I'm on my second windshield, the first one was hit and cracked by something while I was driving on the long island expressway at about 70 mph. The replacement OE windshield (wich I paid for) has been on the car for 13000 miles and was hit a lot of times but it's held up better than the original. It did get a small chip, I hope it doesn't become a crack. Thank you, v36 fixed the stumble. I'm hoping the YO YO and WINDSHIELD will be fixed some time in the near future. Ownership of this car has been frustrating at times but I still love it.
Sincerly yours, minibrute.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:13 PM
FourBrews
Neutral
Would you like to reimburse me the $772.57 that Irvine BMW charged me when my windshield cracked under the driver's wiper while stored in my garage?

Old 01-25-2004, 06:15 AM
mini58
2nd Gear
I have a question about windshield replacements and this certainly seems to be the place to ask it.

How is the infrared sensor for the rain sensing wipers installed? Is it just stuck on the inside of the windshield? Is it an issue with windshield replacements?

Old 02-09-2004, 02:11 PM
zogbogbean
1st Gear
Hey Everyone.

I picked up my second MCS 3 weeks ago and have about 1,200 miles on this '04 model. My June '02 MCS screen was a mess and I had it replaced once just before trading it in. Thankfully I have full glass coverage. That old one had pits everywhere... then a few stress cracks.. but since I had pits and a "bullet hole" it wasn't covered by the warrantee… and of course I was too busy to run out and get it fixed right away. But that was that car. This, this is my new car less than 3 weeks off the lot.

So this AM I get up and drive to work. I realized that I had gotten the new reg sticker from NYS and thought, “Hey I better put that on tonight”, so I checked the temp to make sure it hadn't expired. When I got out and looked I said to myself "Mother F*&%er". There is a crack there about 4 inches long that comes from the black just below the VIN and heads on up through the inspection sticker. I never even would have noticed it unless I looked closely like that.

So I call the dealership. My rep tells me to take a ball point pen and trace the crack with it. If it stops or hits anything, it will more than likely not be covered. So I do go out with my pen to perform this "highly scientific" test. And crap for crap, I detect a barely noticeable spot where a piece of sand may have hit the glass. I can't believe that I have to deal with this crap... regardless of the money - but the crap to either leave the car with them to look at it or go through the insurance company. Hey if I get hit by something and the windshield goes… well that’s one thing. But for me to NOT even recollect or notice something hitting my BRAND NEW BABY… you know it wasn’t a large object. I mean come on! There is obviously some design defect either in the glass they use or the methods employed in keeping it attached to the car. Something is obviously wrong here.. There are simply too many of us out there who have had cars for years and years without a windshield problem vs. those of us who have had numerous glass problems with a car that we’ve owned for a matter of months. (In my case a matter of weeks.) I’ll post tomorrow after I stop by the dealership and find out the fate of my situation.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:03 PM
zogbogbean
1st Gear
With no evidence of an impact, Mini Westchester is replacing my "stress cracked" screen. Smiles all around! =) I'm so glad I don't have to pay for this one. But still, there's obviously a problem here and I hope MINI is still working on fixing it.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:20 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Just gotta love MINI-Division's dedication to the loyal fan base... checking the site about once every twelve months and posting one topic to give everyone a glimmer of hope - and then NEVER respond again. MINI USA seems to be the king of doublespeak - don't race your MINI, or you might void your warranty, but you can win money from us if you win!

Old 02-10-2004, 09:30 PM
motormad
3rd Gear
MINI, or should I say BMW, is slow to respond to problems. They do like to first blame the owner for any problems. I have seen this on some of their motorcycles. Same pattern of reported problems, blame the owner, denial any problem exists, stall while they figure out what is really going on. Then what they usually end up doing is making a revised model that doesn't have the problem and they never admit the original design flaw. They are too proud of their German Engineering to admit they have a design/production problem.

As a soon to be MCS owner, I worry about having the same stress crack induced problem many of you have experienced. We all should be aware that the MINI windshield is more vertical that found on most cars so when a rock (or road grit) hits the windshield it is closer to perpendicular to the glass. The force of impact is therefore absorbed by the glass more than a sloped windshield which the impact glances off or is redirected. The MINI windshield is also lower to the ground which means more rocks and road debris will hit it. Both make it more vunerable to rocks and pitting. I plan not to drive right on anyones tail (other than just before passing them) because I know what it will do to my windshield.

I have never seen a windshield crack from a small pit. I have seen many windshileds crack from larger "bullit hole" marks left from a big rock impacts. If I experience a warranty denial of a stress crack that they claim was caused by a pit to small to see, then I will plan on taking BWM to small claims court.

If you notice a crack early on, you can usually find the point of origin and the direction of crack propigation. Stress cracks are more likely to start at the edge of the glass and move accross the glass with a narrow tip at the end of the crack. If you catch this leading tip of an expanding crack on camera before it goes all the way to the "other" edge of the glass you can demonstrate where the crack started.

With cracks originating from bullit hole craters you will often see cracks growing in both directions out of the rock impact crater. Cracks can spread very quickly so on a MINI with known stress related cracking ans warranty denial problems, I suggest washing the windshield frequently and looking for any sign of a problem and photographing it as soon as you notice it starting.

Good luck fighting BMW about this pane in the glass.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Arioch
1st Gear
I just got word from my insurance company (USAA) that they will repair rock pits with NO DEDUCTABLE. They gave me a toll free number 1-888-452-7754. This number is to Safelight, who is their subcontractor it seems. So if you are a USAA member and you think you have a rock pit check it out and get it fixed for free BEFORE the 8 inch cracks appear. :smile:

Hope this helps some of my fellow mini owners!

Old 02-16-2004, 12:55 PM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, USAA will repair crack/chips without charging you your decuctable.

I have used that free service at least 5 times with my MINI. After 3 cracks on the windshield, I had USAA replace the windshield. Since I have a zero deductable that replacement cost me nothing. Otherwise, I would have been charged for my deductable.

Dave

Old 02-16-2004, 03:48 PM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
First, my 04 MINI has already had a stress crack that my MINI dealer agreed to cover under warranty. It was also just above the VIN number and started from under the A-pillar.

Second, after only about 2,000 miles since the windshield replacement a small gravel/pebble/sand-grain hit the windshield and I have a 1/4 inch pit. This gravel hit was nothing compared to the many I have had in my previous Honda's, Ford's, and Chrysler's.....and I have NEVER had a pitted or cracked windshield before now.

Third, after talking with a few people in person as well as listening to many comments on NAM it sounds like when a windshield cracks due to stress, it has a tendency to cause a small chip to be broken off. This then may appear to be from a rock hitting the windshield when they run the 'pen test'. I am very confident that the MINI windshields are susceptible to stress cracks due to a design flaw, and as well are simply sub-par for durability. This is major problem that MINI NEEDS to deal with. My JD Powers survey included a long description of this problem and that I was VERY dissapointed with MINI. I also will be filing a claim with the NHTA.

MINI USA, you DO have a problem, are obviously knowledgable about it (since they conduct their own internal surveys when you call the 800 line), and are NOT addressing it. You better wise up before someone reallys gets upset (or hurt) and you find yourself in an expensive lawsuit!!!!!!

Old 02-17-2004, 06:19 PM
MPETUOS
2nd Gear
I'm rather sad to say this is my first post and it has to do with my cracked windshield. My trip to the dealer was exactly as everyone else has posted. No less than 4 different people did the sceintific ball point pen test, and the vote was 3 to 1 in my favor :smile: I really could not beleive it, the dealer said yes to warrenty work. Now all I have to do is wait for the parts and watch this creak shoot across wind screen.

Wish me luck!!

Old 11-12-2006, 11:06 AM
tvacc
1st Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
800 miles on my 2006 Mini S and a stress crack from the bottom..right in front of the driver seat...

Has there ever been a resolution to this?

Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
3000ish miles on my MC and I have one coming from the driver's side edge, maybe 6 inches from the lower corner. I was supposed to go in on Tuesday but I'm glad I found this thread - I went and did a pen test and there is the world's tiniest chip near the pillar. I'm thoroughly annoyed but Safelite will fix it for $265.

I'd like to know if there was a resolution too. There's obviously a defect here.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Fool68
2nd Gear
Found my first crack yesterday on the way home from work. Mine has 11400 miles on it. I had just cleaned the windshield the day before and didnt' see anything. The car is garaged at night (about 60 degrees in the garage). It was in the high twenties on the way to work, where the car sits outside durinig the day. On the way home I noticed the crack. It's about 6 inches long, starts just to the driver's side of the top center and goes straight down. No chips that I can see. I certainly didn't hear any impacts on the way to work. Calling the dealer today.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Mine cracked sitting in the garage over night (it was in the 50's that night). It is on the driver's side and starts from the roof and goes down about 4 inches before making an almost 90 degree turn to the center of the car (away from the pillar). I had around 10.8K miles on the car and of course my MINI SA noted an almost invisible chip so they won't cover it. Who's to say that the crack and the stress of the crack isn't causing the minute chips that MINI uses to deny coverage?

As MINI wants $800 to replace the windshield with the same POS glass, I will eventually replace mine with PPG glass from an authorized ProStar glass shop for around $350. I know the price as I had my wife's windshield replaced due to a quarter inch diameter star shaped rock gouge on the driver's side.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:46 AM
putttn
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
If it's German made glass it stinks. I have had numberous MBZ vehicles over the past 40 years and all, I repeat all, have had poor quality glass. Easy to pit.