Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:37 PM
korby
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep they did nothing .I'm sure they'll think it's just bad enough to fix as soon as it's out of warranty .Eyeballing it 20 feet through a dirty window not warped enough ?

Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
If your hood scoop is warped as mine was, it pays to set it up with the dealer before going in for service. This is a warranty item. There is no cost.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:25 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by korby
Yep they did nothing .I'm sure they'll think it's just bad enough to fix as soon as it's out of warranty .Eyeballing it 20 feet through a dirty window not warped enough ?
Bonnet hot there? Have you measured the temperature? Is it hot enough to burn human flesh?

Open a complaint with the NHTSA. If it's hot enough to melt your scoop, it's hot enough to be a hazard.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Rubbus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Is it hot enough to burn human flesh?

What about >inhuman< flesh? MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:26 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Arnbut
Bonnet hot there? Have you measured the temperature? Is it hot enough to burn human flesh?
Previous threads and measured temperatures have it as between 225 and 250 degrees on the models without open scoops (early R56). Don't know what it is for later builds, but a friend's '08 has a stock partially open scoop and it seems to be similar (I don't have a way to measure to be sure).

Someone posted somewhere that a totally open scoop solved the problem.

It's hot enough that when I needed to reheat some bratwurst for a picnic, 10 minutes on top of the turbocharger did the job.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:05 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Is there a published dealer TSB number for this melting hoodscoop problem? Anyone?

Old 05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Is there a published dealer TSB number for this melting hoodscoop problem? Anyone?
I'd like to get the answer to this as well. My clubby has the partially open front grill in the scoop and the heat is starting to deform the top of the scoop. There is also a lot of talk on this same subject on the "S Drivetrain" section:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=139158

Some folks are using aftermarket turbo wraps to reduce the heat (though it is unknown what this will do long term to your turbo).

Last edited by taskmaxter; 05-27-2008 at 01:36 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
So I have a late 2007 with the hood scoop open and the heat insulator under the hood. I also have the clear bra that the dealer had installed when I bought the car. I just noticed last night in the garage my hood after 10 mins was very very hot and the 3m clear bra on the hood right above the hood scoop is now starting to distort after 7,000 miles. That should not be happening!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:07 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
So guess what I get home tonight 10 mins after parking my Mini I went out to the car to check the hood and it was boiling hot again. I also noticed my hood scoop is now starting to warp as well as my clear bra is distorting and melting. I have a late production 07 with the hood scoop update installed from the factory and it is not working. So I am now opening my hood whenever I park my car. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. I understand cars get hot but this is way too hot and is now causing damage to the car. I just wanted to tell everyone that the update Mini did is not a complete fix.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:11 PM
korby
6th Gear
I got mine replaced , 8,000 miles .

Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Right--a friend has an early '08, and I didn't notice a difference in the temp, although his is open.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you had a hood scoop that looked warped when hot, but normal when cooled off? One of the MAs at MoTW said he'd seen this.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
I will ck my scoop in the moring and see if it goes back to normal.

My hood does not get hot all the time. It is warm to the touch most of the time and I feel the heat coming from the scoop, but some times I can hear the fan run in the garage wide open ten mins after I parked the car. Thats when the hood and I mean the whole hood is way hotter than it should be. I got a temp reading around 260 f last night. Other times its more around 120f when its cool. I will just see what the dealer tells me tomorrow.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Previous threads and measured temperatures have it as between 225 and 250 degrees on the models without open scoops (early R56). Don't know what it is for later builds, but a friend's '08 has a stock partially open scoop and it seems to be similar (I don't have a way to measure to be sure).

Someone posted somewhere that a totally open scoop solved the problem.

It's hot enough that when I needed to reheat some bratwurst for a picnic, 10 minutes on top of the turbocharger did the job.
Yes, the hood use to get hot enough to cause blisters. I have seen it. This was on a early 07 model. The turbo after being shut off radiates heat. A lot of it. The early 07s had the fake scoop totaly closed. The heat had no where to escape to. The came out later with the honey comb cover partically opened up. that helped let the heat out. Most of the people I know that have 07 and 08s have totally removed the honey comb peice.. when shut down, the heat come pouring out the opening.. hood barely gets hot now... we did it on our 07, and on a cool night, it looks like a bull blowing steam outs its nose... kinda funny.. Now, on our clubman, I took the honey comb peice out, and with a dremmel, carved out the rest of the closed areas.. now the whole thing is open, yet still retaining the honey comb look.

Last edited by azminiman; 05-29-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: sp
Old 05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
korby
6th Gear
I dremmeled mine and the service guys were fine with it , they dremmeled a few more holes while they had it out for painting .

Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
You guys have had no problems with rain or car washing?

But if I did this, how would I cook my bratwurst? (I'm not kidding!)

Last edited by daffodildeb; 05-29-2008 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 AM
goatdog
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
You guys have had no problems with rain or car washing?

But if I did this, how would I cook my bratwurst? (I'm not kidding!)
Why would drilling out all the holes rather than having just 1/2 of them open make it more likely for water to enter? The heat should vaporize it anyway

I talked to my dad, a retired metallurgical engineer, about the turbo wrap concerns expressed by others. FWIW, he thought wrapping was a good idea and posed no danger to the longevity of metal parts. In fact, he thought, theoretically, that slower cooling might be better. I'm thinking seriously about getting the Way Motor Works wrap for my MCS when it finally arrives.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:30 AM
svjj
2nd Gear
So I have an appointment on June 14th. My service adviser said he has never heard of this and sounds like I am a very spirited driver . I told him I know they have replaced some of the scoops for this very problem already and I am not abusing this car in anyway. I also told him he should look at the car first before blaming the customer. It is 98 deg outside right now just drove my car to lunch parked it and then check the hood temp 15 min after parking. It was 265.6 deg at the top of the scoop. The rest of the hood was 150-170 deg (normal). My scoop is very sagged in the middle. I am going to order the turbo wrap tonight! I don't think Mini has any fix to this since the updated scoop. Oh I also removed the honeycomb cover. Thats not making much of a difference on 90+ deg days, but I am sure on 75-80 deg days it is helping.

Old 06-06-2008, 11:02 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I noticed the top of my scoop was begining to warp a tiny bit. So off came the honeycomb cover!

It seems to have helped a great deal with the temp of the hood...even in the 100 degree heat here.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Rubbus
2nd Gear
"has never heard of this and sounds like I am a very spirited driver"

What a total CROCK. So now we are supposed to drive a Cooper S like a Grandma??! I don't think so.

I don't buy that he hasn't heard of it either.

Old 06-07-2008, 06:24 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by svjj
So I have an appointment on June 14th. My service adviser said he has never heard of this and sounds like I am a very spirited driver .
There are two rules a new SA has to master to keep his or her job:

1. I've never heard of this before; and

2. Our tech couldn't duplicate it.

That's when YOU go to work. There are several threads on NAM about this problem. Printing out just a few responses will help with #1. And having the SA and/or tech holding his/her hands on the scoop 10 minutes after shutdown will take care of #2.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
PVP
1st Gear
Hood Ooze?

I think this may be a variation of the same problem. Went out to wash to my new (1800 miles) 08 MCS and noticed underneath the passenger head light in the seam between the bonnet and the front bumper? A drip/stream of gunk that I originally thought was the dying remnants of a real big bug. Well I swiped a bit of it with my finger and tasted to be sure. No just kidding! But it was an oil of some sort. Popped the bonnet and it seemed to be leaking outta the holes in the underside of the bonnet. Seems like something up inside is melting and flowing out the holes. An insulation or something? It did actually discolor the paint on the bumper slightly where it dripped, I think it can be polished it with a little work though. Man, these little buggers do have a tendency to run a little warm huh? Gonna keep an eye on my hood scoop.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:40 PM
russr
5th Gear
Originally Posted by PVP
I think this may be a variation of the same problem. Went out to wash to my new (1800 miles) 08 MCS and noticed underneath the passenger head light in the seam between the bonnet and the front bumper? A drip/stream of gunk that I originally thought was the dying remnants of a real big bug. Well I swiped a bit of it with my finger and tasted to be sure. No just kidding! But it was an oil of some sort. Popped the bonnet and it seemed to be leaking outta the holes in the underside of the bonnet. Seems like something up inside is melting and flowing out the holes. An insulation or something? It did actually discolor the paint on the bumper slightly where it dripped, I think it can be polished it with a little work though. Man, these little buggers do have a tendency to run a little warm huh? Gonna keep an eye on my hood scoop.
That's cosmolene...we've all got that. It's the stuff they spray the cars with to protect them on the ship. Do a search here with 'cosmolene'.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:46 PM
PVP
1st Gear
Thanks Russr, after a search of "cosmolene" it appears I'm not the only MINI around with cosmo leakage. This place never ceases to amaze me!

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Yeah, it's cosmolene, but the amount of it relates to how well your dealer preps the car. Some have had so much that it gunked up the washer nozzles (no, not the same thing as the "weeping washer" problem some have experienced). I've been very happy with my dealer, with the exception of the aforementioned two rules SAs are required to learn. And believe me, I was rushing my MA to get my car--it was delivered 4 days after the nationwide release in February, 2007. I was bugging my MA about every 6 hours, but they still did it right, 2 days after the truck arrived!

Old 06-16-2008, 06:38 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
Went Saturday to the dealer for my hot hood issue. I pulled the service advisor out to my car after it sat for 15 mins. I pointed to the hot spot and he pressed his hand on the top of the scoop and hood. He burned the crap out of his hand and ran of cursing looking for the teck to show him . When the tech came out he saw how hot my hood was with out the scoop grill in place. I told him it runs much cooler with out the cover inside the scoop. Tech said he is calling Mini and emailing a report to them. He said that the hood is way too hot. We will see if anything ever comes of this but I think the service adviser sees how hot the hood is

I went ahead and ordered the WAY turbo wrap today. I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: I think my hood scoop is melting...