Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:27 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by svjj
Went Saturday to the dealer for my hot hood issue. I pulled the service advisor out to my car after it sat for 15 mins. I pointed to the hot spot and he pressed his hand on the top of the scoop and hood. He burned the crap out of his hand and ran of cursing looking for the teck to show him .
Funny, in a perverse sort of way.

Keep us informed. Sometimes the dealers have an inside track on this sort of thing (but I'm not holding my breath). I read this to Hubby, though, and he said he was going to remove the hood scoop grill (mine is an early, closed, type). He noticed a dip in the scoop, which actually formed last year.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Ikeprof
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went Saturday to the dealer for my hot hood issue. I pulled the service advisor out to my car after it sat for 15 mins. I pointed to the hot spot and he pressed his hand on the top of the scoop and hood. He burned the crap out of his hand and ran of cursing looking for the teck to show him .
LOL nothing like injuring an SA to get attention.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
This whole thing is kind of funny for a non-functional scoop.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Not funny at all. The scoop IS functional if opened up (or the screen removed). I intend to do this myself. Too bad it took owners, rather than engineers, to discover this fault.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:27 AM
oryx
2nd Gear
anyone replaced their melting bonnet scoop with the JCW carbon fiber one?

I wouldn't think the CF would melt... anyone with an experience otherwise?

I'm thinking of replacing my hood scoop,which is beginning to melt/dimple with the CF one. My husband's 08 is melting too. The heat down here is just brutal on cars....

Old 06-18-2008, 11:41 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Would the Chrome hood scoop be better?

Is the "chrome" hood scoop made out of metal, or is it just chrome colored plastic?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:57 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
I installed my WAY Motor Works turbo wrap tonight. I will see over the next few days if it helps!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:07 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
I want to start by unblocking the holes in the plastic insert, but will remove it permanently if that doesn't work out. I looked at the scoop tonight, and got the feeling that unless I want to destroy the insert. I have to remove the scoop first. Does anyone have a diagram, or simple instructions for taking the scoop off, or removing the insert?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:15 PM
diablito
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hfs3
I want to start by unblocking the holes in the plastic insert, but will remove it permanently if that doesn't work out. I looked at the scoop tonight, and got the feeling that unless I want to destroy the insert. I have to remove the scoop first. Does anyone have a diagram, or simple instructions for taking the scoop off, or removing the insert?
Look under the bonnet is one single screw/tap thing...be careful not to drop it . then using a nylon flat knife of some sort I use MikeyD's plastic...pray the scoop from the tabs...simple then use a small screw driver to remove the grille part.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:11 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by diablito
Look under the bonnet is one single screw/tap thing...be careful not to drop it . then using a nylon flat knife of some sort I use MikeyD's plastic...pray the scoop from the tabs...simple then use a small screw driver to remove the grille part.
Thanks, I sent your info to my husband. His reaction: "The power of prayer."

I had to think about that one for a moment...

Old 06-22-2008, 05:18 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
Update

Since I installed my turbo wrap this week. I have notice my hood temps down by almost 100 degrees. They are running around 140-167 around the hood scoop. I was having before 210-260. I tried with and with out the grill insert. It was still kinda hot with the vented grill insert in. I then took out the insert and the temps dropped to normal hood temps. I still need a few more good hot days to test but I feel much better about the hood temps and I have not notice my hood scoop sagging anymore.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM
richs10
5th Gear
I just took delivery on an 08 Clubman S and was wondering if MINI has taken any steps to compensate for the extreme heat under the hood that you all mention.

Here is a snapshot of the underside of the hood. Is it the same insulation that you all have in your cars or has it been changed? Also, the Scoop is about 50% flow through on my car. (I tried to take a pic, but its not real good. Both are below:

Old 06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
svjj
2nd Gear
You have the latest correction for this problem. Some people including me are still having hood scoops warping with the updated insert. I went to the dealer two weeks ago about this and I was not the only one that day there with this problem. It does seem not every one has this issue so just keep an eye out for it. My scoop warps just a little but my biggest problem is it is warping and shrinking my $600.00 3M clear bra on the hood above my scoop. I removed the scoop insert which did help. I also added a turbo wrap and so far that seems to have made a big difference.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
You have the latest correction for this problem. Some people including me are still having hood scoops warping with the updated insert. I went to the dealer two weeks ago about this and I was not the only one that day there with this problem. It does seem not every one has this issue so just keep an eye out for it. My scoop warps just a little but my biggest problem is it is warping and shrinking my $600.00 3M clear bra on the hood above my scoop. I removed the scoop insert which did help. I also added a turbo wrap and so far that seems to have made a big difference.
Agreed - those pictures of the clubman are identical to my clubman (scoop holes and under hood shots) and I have a slight depression in my hood scoop due to the heat. I'm still evaluating options to reduce heat under the hood and am planning to have MINI replace my scoop.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:59 AM
korby
6th Gear
My replaced one is already sagging a bit . Looks like I'll have it replaced every oil change .

Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I wonder how many warranty scoop replacements it will take for MINI to take a serious look at this? And will the fix be retroactive?

Old 06-26-2008, 09:57 AM
rotohead
Neutral
Hi,
Has anyone tried opening up the fake side vents on the front quarter panels? It would seem that increasing under-hood ventilation would help the situation. I realize that the fake vents are small, but it might help. It would take a drill and a chassis punch to open them up. I don't have a mini ( but I want one), so can't try it myself.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:02 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Sounds pretty ugly. Maybe they could be removed?

Probably wouldn't make much difference, though--that hood scoop is directly over the turbo, and that's what's getting hot.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:08 PM
goatdog
2nd Gear
Well, my procrastination in installing the WMW turbo wrap (bought it, it's sitting in the garage) has resulted in the appearance of a divot in the center of my hood scoop after 601 miles of normal freeway driving. Guess I'll have it replaced when they fix my scratched (at delivery) headlight cover!

Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
kelsey ellen
I had a reallllly badly melted bonnet scoop and I just got a new one thanks to the warranty...

took over a month to actually get it here.. but they fixed it without complaint really

Old 07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
kelsey ellen
Yeahh spoke too soon.. the new scoop is now showing signs of doing the melt... and I've only had it a WEEK.

this is RIDICULOUS.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 AM
capnbill
1st Gear
Originally Posted by diablito

So does that mean you need to pull the whole scoop off to remove the vent/grill? I've got my Dremel tool ready and I'm looking for a weekend project. Just wondering how long to allow.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM
oryx
2nd Gear
we've replaced our melted scoops with JCW carbon fiber scoops and haven't had signs of melting yet. The CF should have a higher glass transition temp than the plastic stock scoop. Summer in Alabama is a good testing ground for this! I will keep you updated if the temps are still so brutal that the CF scoop warps.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 AM
oryx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by capnbill
So does that mean you need to pull the whole scoop off to remove the vent/grill? I've got my Dremel tool ready and I'm looking for a weekend project. Just wondering how long to allow.
Yes. It didn't take us long to do it, and most of that time included figuring out what to do. First, there's a black plastic screw underneath the hood to unscrew, at the top center in front of where the grille is, be careful it popped right off on us. Then, we used a screwdriver wrapped in a cloth to pry the scoop from the hood. There are plastic screw shaped tabs at all 4 corners and the middle of the top and bottom of the hood scoop. It sounds horrible to take off, but not too hard, and it just slides straight out. The grille is attached to the scoop by screws (4 of them i think).

Good luck! I hate all the plastic connections/tabs on these cars...they seem so fragile.

Last edited by oryx; 07-03-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: adding more detail! :)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:12 AM
kelsey ellen
Originally Posted by oryx
we've replaced our melted scoops with JCW carbon fiber scoops and haven't had signs of melting yet. The CF should have a higher glass transition temp than the plastic stock scoop. Summer in Alabama is a good testing ground for this! I will keep you updated if the temps are still so brutal that the CF scoop warps.
I'd do that too but I don't have the money to fix what seems to be MINIs mistake :(

Would it hurt to dremel more holes in the scoop?

Quick Reply: I think my hood scoop is melting...