Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM
azminiman
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
4500 miles on clubman.. 12000 on our 07 R56 jcw... still no issues.. ( once again, we took out the scoop - air escape restricting peice first day we got the cars.)

Old 08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
wbarnhill
Coordinator :: Upstate MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here's a question... Is my scoop showing those early signs or is it a normal dip?

It's dead center but it's also been horribly hot here in SC since I got Siva, so I'm just curious which way I should be leaning... normal or replacement time?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's probably melting, but may stay that way for a long time. Mine has had a dip like that for a full year. A friend of mine got his replaced recently, and it was dipping to this degree, so you might just ask.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:04 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was there ever a consensus re: the chrome scoop? I saw earlier mention, but nothing definitive. Anyone have problems with that one?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
mine is doing that also im only 1070 miles in waiting 4 it to get worse then heading to the dealer and try to fanagle a carbon fibre hood scoop from em anybody think the ram air scoop and cai will help with the problem?

Originally Posted by wbarnhill
So here's a question... Is my scoop showing those early signs or is it a normal dip?

It's dead center but it's also been horribly hot here in SC since I got Siva, so I'm just curious which way I should be leaning... normal or replacement time?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:29 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wbarnhill

Yes, it's melting / warping. Carbon fiber scoop maybe the best solution. Order the one that comes with the JCW Aero kit and it should fit okay. I believe it can be painted, if you do not like the black color.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:17 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kbleicher
Was there ever a consensus re: the chrome scoop? I saw earlier mention, but nothing definitive. Anyone have problems with that one?
I saw another thread on NAM that someone was having issues with a chrome scoop and they thought it was due to the heat. The "chrome" portion that covers the plastic was starting to shrivel up and contract.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:22 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
I saw another thread on NAM that someone was having issues with a chrome scoop and they thought it was due to the heat. The "chrome" portion that covers the plastic was starting to shrivel up and contract.
I think the chrome is really plastic underneath, it's not real chrome on metal.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I'd like to know why the "open" scoops are having just as much trouble as the "closed" scoop I have on my very early R56. I thought that was supposed to fix it.

Has anyone completely removed the grate, and still had trouble?

I'm not thrilled with the idea of having to spring for carbon fiber myself, and I'll bet no one will be able to get one from MINI.

While I'm on the subject, has anyone had trouble with the paint itself on either the hood or the scoop? You'd think those high temps would cause some cracking or something along the line, wouldn't you?

Old 08-04-2008, 10:46 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know that no one likes to spend money to fix something that the Mfg. should take care of but we had seen so many melted scoops including ours that we had to do something . This is a possible option for some of you .

Randy
M7 Tuning

This is the listing on our site .

http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=137

This is a thread going here on NAM by some members that have installed the unit.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=148539

Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Froglips
1st Gear
Maxmini,

So did these covers work as far as NOT causing your new scoop to melt?

How many months have you tested the cover with the new scoop on?

Are you using a Carbon fiber scoop or the normal one to do the testing?

Have you had any turbo issues due to having it all covered up with the cover?

Do you think it would be better to use those heat wraps to cover up the turbo, or is using your plate cover a much "Safer" solution?

Thanks for your time, Maxmini.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:59 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All good questions and I will try to answer them as best I can.

Maxmini,

So did these covers work as far as NOT causing your new scoop to melt?

So far we have not had one report of a scoop that has had any issues after the install.

How many months have you tested the cover with the new scoop on?

Over 6 months with the first prototype. Here in sunny So Cal I think that is a good test. We had a customer drop by with his brand new , under 300 mi, R-56 with a droopy scoop so it can be said that we are in a rough environment here heat wise.

Are you using a Carbon fiber scoop or the normal one to do the testing?

We have tested it both ways on multiple cars .

Have you had any turbo issues due to having it all covered up with the cover?

Because the turbo is NOT all covered there have been no turbo issues.

Do you think it would be better to use those heat wraps to cover up the turbo, or is using your plate cover a much "Safer" solution?

We feel our solution is a better one than the complete wrap. It would be interesting to see a Mini service writers opinion of the complete wrap system.

Thanks for your time, Maxmini.

Thanks for your questions,

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
We feel our solution is a better one than the complete wrap. It would be interesting to see a Mini service writers opinion of the complete wrap system.

Randy
M7 Tuning
Yes it will. As in "no warranty on the turbo" or "can't work on your car because it's all covered up."

Old 08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Yes it will. As in "no warranty on the turbo" or "can't work on your car because it's all covered up."
That is my concern as well. While my stock scoop has not melted, it does get very hot, hitting 200+ degrees. I have recently installed the JCW CF scoop, and would like to protect it with the M7 shield which appears to be a very elegant and easily installed solution. However, my concern is that the dealer may take issue with the shield. I considered just removing it whenever the car requires service, but after reading the installation instructions, the double-faced tape makes removing and re-installing seem less tha ideal.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Bishamon
That is my concern as well. While my stock scoop has not melted, it does get very hot, hitting 200+ degrees. I have recently installed the JCW CF scoop, and would like to protect it with the M7 shield which appears to be a very elegant and easily installed solution. However, my concern is that the dealer may take issue with the shield. I considered just removing it whenever the car requires service, but after reading the installation instructions, the double-faced tape makes removing and re-installing seem less tha ideal.
Why do you think a CF scoop will melt or warp? As far as I know none of the scoops with this problem are CFs, if I am mistaken please correct me. MINIs with JCW CF scoops please chime in, your input would be appreciated. It's my understanding that the CF is made to withstand much greater amounts of heat than the stock plastic.

PS Check the uses of carbon fiber from sailing masts and so on.

Last edited by sikamini; 08-05-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:49 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
Why do you think a CF scoop will melt or warp? As far as I know none of the scoops with this problem are CFs, if I am mistaken please correct me. MINIs with JCW CF scoops please chime in, your input would be appreciated. It's my understanding that the CF is made to withstand much greater amounts of heat than the stock plastic.
While it may not melt, I think others on here were quoted as saying the heat from the engine would eventually discolor an unpainted CF scoop.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:55 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
While it may not melt, I think others on here were quoted as saying the heat from the engine would eventually discolor an unpainted CF scoop.
When that happens have it painted to match the car. Race cars with carbon fiber body parts are painted all the time. But, I've heard and read about the discoloration, and it was also stated it could be cleaned and restored.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Does that include sun damage? I've seen some pretty ugly carbon fiber.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Axela
2nd Gear
Unbelievable, mine started slowly deforming as well, I bought it 1 month ago exactly (have 1500 miles now). I have clear bra over the scoop as well! This will cost me more later...

I knew I should have gotten base Mini Cooper, not the S. You pay over 22k for a car, you expect that manufacturer would use a quality material.

Not sure what to do, since Mini doesn't seem to have solution to this besides replacing the poor quality scoop with same one..

Old 08-05-2008, 06:29 PM
sikamini
6th Gear
Does that include sun damage? I've seen some pretty ugly carbon fiber.
I believe so, there are a couple of MINI owners in NAM that said they have restored the finish on CF. What appears to be sun damage (milky color) may actually be the clear coat needing a polish if I understand them correctly. You can probably search the topic for a better idea. I'll have to see myself when our MINI comes in, but I am going to try to follow their advice to maintain the finish.

I posted a maintenance question earlier, here is the link:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=148443

Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM
flaco
4th Gear
of course it melts...why else would you use cf?

Old 08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Axela
I knew I should have gotten base Mini Cooper, not the S. You pay over 22k for a car, you expect that manufacturer would use a quality material.
I personally wouldn't keep this problem from letting me enjoy the S. MINI WILL replace the scoop, after all, and eventually will find a fix. And your scoop might not dip more than wbarnhill's or mine. Yes, technically it is deforming, but I'd sit tight until you see how far it goes. My car is 1 1/2 years old (25,000 miles), and it looks like his.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Axela
2nd Gear
I personally wouldn't keep this problem from letting me enjoy the S. MINI WILL replace the scoop, after all, and eventually will find a fix. And your scoop might not dip more than wbarnhill's or mine. Yes, technically it is deforming, but I'd sit tight until you see how far it goes. My car is 1 1/2 years old (25,000 miles), and it looks like his.
Yeah.. I was just annoyed at the time of the post, that's all... to be honest, mine has a very slight deformity, less than wbarnhill's. Only way to tell is open up the hood and look at the scoop at flat level and feel by hand (burn!! ) Hopefully, MINI finds a fix soon.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Bishamon
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sikamini
The fiber itself will not melt, but the resin can, though the temperature would likely need to be in the 400 degree range. My primary concern is that heat can cause carbon fiber to fade quite noticably.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 AM
sir5150
3rd Gear
I think it has alot to do with the resin used. we use cf for our motorcycle exhaust cans all the time with no fading, as long as the packing does not blow out and let direct exhaust hit the carbon it takes the heat just fine.

Quick Reply: I think my hood scoop is melting...