Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

I think my hood scoop is melting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tkwasny
I am just starting to get the melting hood scoop problem after owning the car for 4 months. The droop is not super noticeable yet but I don't want to replace the scoop with another plastic one if BMW doesn't do anything to fix the problem. My question is, since it doesn't look like most dealers are going to replace plastic hood scoops with carbon one, has anyone had any luck at least getting a discount on a carbon one. A new plastic scoop goes for about $80 (retail) and with paint and labor I would think the cost to the company would be at least $100 to $150. If I could get a dealer to sell me a carbon scoop less the cost to replace the defective one I would probably jump on it
Just have the dealer replace the scoop with a new one under warranty (thats what I did). Hopefully, if enough of us get the scoops replaced under warranty (and keep having to since the new ones will melt as well), that will get MINI to do something about it in terms of a permanent fix. Why doesn't someone come out with a scoop made out of aluminum?

Old 08-13-2008, 02:58 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Guess this confirms what we've been suspecting--the "chrome" isn't really "chrome" metal.
About the only thing that is metal dipped in chrome anymore are lugnuts.... and the mini comes with black ones....

Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Why doesn't someone come out with a scoop made out of aluminum?

And you think the plastic gets hot???? Wait until someone touches a couple hundred degree piece of metal.

Remember the lady that had the hot coffee spilled on her privates and had to have skin grafted? Wait until some amorous couple leans on the hood of a mini.... She's gonna have a horizontal welt built into her azz.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Guess this confirms what we've been suspecting--the "chrome" isn't really "chrome" metal.
Deb, see my post above (#191). The chrome scoop is ABS plastic. The same as the stock scoop.

Old 08-13-2008, 04:03 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Just have the dealer replace the scoop with a new one under warranty (thats what I did). Hopefully, if enough of us get the scoops replaced under warranty (and keep having to since the new ones will melt as well), that will get MINI to do something about it in terms of a permanent fix. Why doesn't someone come out with a scoop made out of aluminum?

Agreed. When they have replaced too many under warranty, they will come up with a solution.

I like the idea of the bolt-on custom heat shield a vendor had on here, but I would want some input from MINI that its ok to use this shield while under warranty. It also appears there was a rubbing issue with the custom shield and the underside of the hood. I think the vendor is trying to fix right now.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:11 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
Agreed. When they have replaced too many under warranty, they will come up with a solution.

I like the idea of the bolt-on custom heat shield a vendor had on here, but I would want some input from MINI that its ok to use this shield while under warranty. It also appears there was a rubbing issue with the custom shield and the underside of the hood. I think the vendor is trying to fix right now.
Who was the vendor? If it rubs against the underside of the hood, I don't care... I'd rather have some paint rubbed off than a warped scoop.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 08-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Blerg, do you guys think this is enough of a concern to purchase the $300 carbon scoop before I get my mini in September/October? I guess I won't be driving it in summer heat for almost a year - and it seems to be some combo of sun exposure and improper heat distribution that causes it, but... this way I'll be able to finance the hoodscoop!

Or am I being paranoid because I spend too much time reading the Stock Problems/Issues board?

Old 08-13-2008, 10:27 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by richs10
You're assuming, of course, that your SA would AGREE to replace it. Mine probably wouldn't, on the grounds that the little dip isn't enough to justify it. The scoop's little dip, that is, not me!

Old 08-13-2008, 11:52 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Who was the vendor? If it rubs against the underside of the hood, I don't care... I'd rather have some paint rubbed off than a warped scoop.

Thanks,

Mark

Check out M7 for the heat shield. I had one, but sent it back since I preferred to not have my hood paint being worn off down to the metal everytime I closed the hood. They are coming out with a redesigned one, so it may correct the problem.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:21 PM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got my M7 heatshield installed. It is one of the new shields with slotted holes. I checked clearances using modeling clay between the shield and hood. There is 1/4" of clearance at the closest point so there should be no rubbing issues with their new shield.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
conshohockencoopers
Neutral
I called my dealer last week when my hood release broke to make an appointment to have it fixed and also mentioned the scoop melting....they acted like this has never happened before (not the best acting though). Today they took one look at it and ordered me a new one.....hopefully mini will get tired of giving away scoops soon and come up with a better fix.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Check out M7 for the heat shield. I had one, but sent it back since I preferred to not have my hood paint being worn off down to the metal everytime I closed the hood. They are coming out with a redesigned one, so it may correct the problem.

Thanks for the heads up, I missed the post or I would have responded sooner.

Thanks again,

Mark

Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leave the clay on

Originally Posted by futuremini
I just got my M7 heatshield installed. It is one of the new shields with slotted holes. I checked clearances using modeling clay between the shield and hood. There is 1/4" of clearance at the closest point so there should be no rubbing issues with their new shield.
and go drive a bit, launch in first and do some sudden lifts of the gas pedal to get fast onto engine braking. This will test the range of motion of the engine as driven.

Good luck!

Matt

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 AM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Yesterday I noticed my hood scoop is starting to deform. Sagging on top...in the middle. 2008 MCS, 4 months old, 2500 miles.

Anybody had luck with dealer replacing and successfully matching paint?

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
conshohockencoopers
Neutral
My dealer did a great job of matching (outsourced to a body shop). The problem is that the replacement slightly deformed after 1 day. I fully opened the scoop and no further sagging yet.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:06 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by conshohockencoopers
My dealer did a great job of matching (outsourced to a body shop). The problem is that the replacement slightly deformed after 1 day. I fully opened the scoop and no further sagging yet.

How did you open your scoop? I just did mine and opened all the little holes one at a time.

Not sure if it's going to make a difference but we'll see.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
I stopped by Desert BMW to see what used minis they have on the lot, here is a couple of pictures from a used MINI Clubman for sale.... Its prety obivous the scoop is melting on a very NEW car!. Also hard to believe a Clubman already 4 sale on the used car lot????

Old 09-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
Oh the other MINIS the scoops looked fine. They were pre 2007 models.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:38 PM
conshohockencoopers
Neutral
[quote=orangecrush;2458632]How did you open your scoop? I just did mine and opened all the little holes one at a time.

Not sure if it's going to make a difference but we'll see.

My newly opened scoop looks just like this picture and I used the same tools, it is not perfect but hard to notice unless you are looking for it. A lot better than a melted scoop, if it works...

Old 09-07-2008, 07:02 PM
T&CMCSa
4th Gear
Add me to the melted list. Hot Chocolate Clubman, 6 months old, 11K miles. The dealer calls start tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Futures10
Neutral
don't know if mine is melted in a record time: 2700 miles, lightning blue clubman S. Called dealer and now waiting for parts...

Old 09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
rwwilsonjr
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Juiceman
I stopped by Desert BMW to see what used minis they have on the lot, here is a couple of pictures from a used MINI Clubman for sale.... Its prety obivous the scoop is melting on a very NEW car!. Also hard to believe a Clubman already 4 sale on the used car lot????
This is exactly what mine looks like.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:59 PM
Doc Cooper
3rd Gear
If you drill the holes... how about water going in.. raining or washing car... do you think it will be ok?? ill just drill the hole thing out.. hahah and add a mesh grill from home depot.. lol

Old 09-07-2008, 10:24 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine's not quite that bad, but a photo would show it if taken at the same angle. I'm over half way through the warranty (by miles). I don't know if I should bug for a replacement, drill, pull out the screen, change to carbon fiber, or what.

It's like the arm rest problem. It slides open super easily--rest your arm on it and it opens. I had the original one replaced for this problem; less than a year later this one is exactly the same. They won't pay for the "clam-shell" type that is available in Europe.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:50 AM
ondrovic
4th Gear
My dealer just called to let me know that I will be getting a "new" scoop this week. They have received it and it is being painted now. According to the dealer the "new" scoop is made from a plastic which should no longer melt. I'll keep youse guys posted...

Old 09-08-2008, 08:40 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ondrovic
My dealer just called to let me know that I will be getting a "new" scoop this week. They have received it and it is being painted now. According to the dealer the "new" scoop is made from a plastic which should no longer melt. I'll keep youse guys posted...

The "new" scoop your dealer is putting on, do you have a part number or bulletin? I called my dealer and they had neither.

I most certainly don't want them to order another one and have it do the same thing.

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply: I think my hood scoop is melting...