Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Water problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 07:19 AM
nickelaz
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water problem...

Hey All!

I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S.

Just recently here in Nova Scotia, February 13th, 2008, we had a rainstorm. I had not been driving my car the day after the storm. So the day after, I get in my car drive to town, and everything goes crazy!

Lights start to go crazy, the cars electronics are malfunctioning to the point were the car no longer operates. I spent 3 1/2 hours the other night trying to get it towed in the bitter cold to Halifax BMW/Mini.

The first towing company ripped the bumper almost off, and damaged underneath. The second towing company used the proper flat bed.

Now the service department at BMW is saying that water had leaked in from either the sunroof, and or windows, which completely ruined the electronics. I simply do not open my sunroof in the winter months, and the car has been in many rainstorms before with no problems. Now I firmly believe that this is a Manufacture defect, and I also believe that I shouldn't have to pay a single dollar to get all this fixed.

When I purchased the car from Oregans Motor Group here in Dartmouth in March 2007, it was purchased with an extended warranty. Weather or not the warranty covers the repairs, I still believe that the car simply is a defective on behalf of the Mini Manufacturer.

I have been a faithful customer to Halifax BMW/Mini, having going there three times the average person would, and certainly doing expensive repairs to the Mini every time in the last 5 months.

Those repairs are;

Overheating problem #1 Cost: 110.00 - I had taken the car to were I bought it, and they just replaced the fuse, and coolant to only find that a week later, it would go again....

Cooling Unit - Housing, Fan housing, relays, fuses, thermostat, expanding rivet, coolant, etc. Cost: 892.00

Steering Column - The complete steering column, upper/lower columns replaced. Cost: 1108.53

Now the storey with the clutch is I kept hearing an annoying clatter, so I had taken it to the BMW Dealer and they said they have to replace the whole unit.

Clutch & Assembly - Cost: 1209.08

Powersteering Fan - Cost 373.58, this actually caused the car to over heat a 3rd time in the last 5 months.

Then 2 days later....

The water issue. Which is expected to cost well over $2000.00

Now is my car lemon?!

I really don't want to go through my insurance whereas it's a $2500 deductible.

Should I take it back to where I bought it and say heres the car you sold me last year? And it really has been nothing but a headache every since, A) Replace the car, B) Refund me my money for the car, C) Pay for the repairs..

All advice please!

Thanks,

Nicholas

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The sunroof leakeage problem is probably caused by blocked drains, not exactly your fault unless you parked under some trees or something and plant debris got in there (what usually causes this).

I've never heard of the need to replace an entire steering column, what was the symptom that lead to this repair?

I believe this leakage situation has been going on for a while now, and you only now became aware of it because it "killed" your car.

Our Audi 100CS died from drowning as well, although ours was caused by leaf blockage of the fresh air plenum drains, which allowed water to back up into the dash and floorboards where all the computers lived - the insurance company totaled out the Audi saying that due to corrosion it would never really be right again. But, because this was not due to a collision, we only payed a small deductible.......

I don't know what the right thing for you to do is, but with the problems you've already experienced, I think an insurance total might be the best course for you.........

Old 02-17-2008, 11:00 AM
nickelaz
1st Gear
The steering was a wee notchy, and became more noticible as time went on. If it was to be not addressed, the steering wheel would become usless to the point where your pretty much strong arm'n the car.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:21 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds to me like it was your power steering pump failing intermittantly, which was later replaced.............but, good luck with decision.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:05 PM
nixjosh2
4th Gear
I just had my whole steering column replaced, It would move up when in a locked position and this was the cure according to Global Mini

Old 02-18-2008, 02:05 PM
nickelaz
1st Gear
Just an update...they are still trying to dry things out of the car! yikes!

Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 AM
nickelaz
1st Gear
I cotacted both Mini Canada, Local Dealership, and my insurance... no one wants to touch it or help out in anyway..... the expected cost is to be over $4000.00 out of my own pocket....