Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch noise upon release

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to hear about all yr clutch issues. I had a TON of them with my long-gone R53 to the point that there is NO way I will ever buy another BMW product with crappy LuK clutches (and their plastic yes PLASTIC throwout bearings) and the equally crappy LuK dualmass flywheels. They are the weak link in the MCS drivetrain, and that's why Im going for the Aisin steptronic in my 2nd MCS (that and a bad left knee.)

Good luck resolving yr issues.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by checkercoop
hey just so you all know, the dealer that is taking care of my clutch informed me that the day I took it into them that a new bulletin was posted. Its for an Unpleasant Noise in the clutch, but it only is specific to the S which is weird.
Do you have the bulletin number? It would help others who appear to have the same issue.

Last edited by Nimcosi; 10-04-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
danny 1940
2nd Gear
I've got a Clubman S, 6sp on order. I've read these posts and pretty much everything else on this forum and needless to say as I await delivery I'm getting worried about Mini quality. There is absolutely no excuse for clutch linkage noise, bad throw out bearings or problems with dual mass flywheels and clutch assemblies. I have not looked into the mechanics (how it's built) of the Mini but as they do have a hydraulic clutch there are minimal parts required to move the T bearing against the clutch. Has anyone with this noise checked to see if there is any firewall cracking occuring? Again I don't know the configuration but is the clutch master cylinder mounted to the firewall? If it is you might be hearing sheetmetal moving under pressure. I've owned Corvettes with the dual mass flywheels and SAABs neither of which ever gave any clutch related problems. Someone tell me Mini's are reliable. This thread is a downer. I'm going to find a happy thread! Dan

Last edited by danny 1940; 10-06-2008 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sequence
sorry to hear about all yr clutch issues. I had a TON of them with my long-gone R53 to the point that there is NO way I will ever buy another BMW product with crappy LuK clutches (and their plastic yes PLASTIC throwout bearings) and the equally crappy LuK dualmass flywheels. They are the weak link in the MCS drivetrain, and that's why Im going for the Aisin steptronic in my 2nd MCS (that and a bad left knee.)

Good luck resolving yr issues.
Thanks, and yes this experience has pushed me to get the auto in my next MINI. I figure the paddles will give me plenty of fun and will be nice to not have to worry

Originally Posted by Nimcosi
Do you have the bulletin number? It would help others who appear to have the same issue.
I do not have the bulletin all he told me it was under was "Unpleasant Noise." I will try and find it when I'm up there tue, if not, that is what it is supposed to be under

Originally Posted by danny 1940
I've got a Clubman S, 6sp on order. I've read these posts and pretty much everything else on this forum and needless to say as I await delivery I'm getting worried about Mini quality. There is absolutely no excuse for clutch linkage noise, bad throw out bearings or problems with dual mass flywheels and clutch assemblies. I have not looked into the mechanics (how it's built) of the Mini but as they do have a hydraulic clutch there are minimal parts required to move the T bearing against the clutch. Has anyone with this noise checked to see if there is any firewall cracking occuring? Again I don't know the configuration but is the clutch master cylinder mounted to the firewall? If it is you might be hearing sheetmetal moving under pressure. I've owned Corvettes with the dual mass flywheels and SAABs neither of which ever gave any clutch related problems. Someone tell me Mini's are reliable. This thread is a downer. I'm going to find a happy thread! Dan
I wouldn't worry because, for the most part, they are build nicely. Yes there will be a few things like creaks and rattles that will be fixed. Unfortunately for me, I got stuck with the crap shoot one that is rebelling against staying together. But it seems to be a trend with the MINI to have the weakest link be the clutch assembly, so just be on the lookout

Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
sk8erguyzach
4th Gear
ahh just over 5000 miles and have heard this noise to!!! first heard it on they way home from mm4 with almost 5000 miles... havnt heard it in a while though

Last edited by sk8erguyzach; 10-07-2008 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well I am waiting right now at the dealer. They actually had it down in a few hours and I got to see the old clutch. It looked brand new and they said it was definitely a defect of the pressure plate because it was also not putting the proper amount of pressure down. I can't wait to show that to the other dealer who didn't want to fix it thinking it was my fault. Will get pics up tonight of the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel

Old 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Ok things are getting worse instead of better. You know in a bad experience how something turns around and makes you not care as much, well it went the other way. So after they put the new clutch on, I checked real quick and could still slightly hear the clicking and had them check it. They had 2 lead techs check it they all agreed it was normal. Now that I made it home, it is loader and sounds just like it did originally (although the clutch peddle itself has a little less texture to it. So now I am more mad I had to put over 510 miles on my car to have the fixed at another dealer and now the whole problem wasn't fully the pressure plate. I thank the other dealer for replacing it, but now when I take it to my local dealer they have to find a fix because they cannot deny the clutch since its already been changed. This is ridiculous I paid for a new car, now I have to pay for an old sounding one that I have to fight to get repaired

Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
brought in the mini today to address the issue with the clutch. The SA said they have to order some parts this time but im not exactly sure what they are as i have class and my dad is picking up the car for me. I will have him find out what they are going to replace and ask about th service bulletin.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:48 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
ok,

so my dad says the SA ordered and will replace the slave cylinder to get rid of the noise. In addition, the SA said he hasnt heard of a bulletin out for the clutch noise.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
update, the slave cylinder was replaced about a week ago and it did solve the problem... hopefully it never returns.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM
eric0919
1st Gear
Originally Posted by e30r56
Is the noise you are hearing a chattering type noise heard only when in neutral and your foot off the clutch? If so I just received my 07 mcs back from the dealer after a month of trying to fix this issue. They first replaced the flywheel, then the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing assembly, then the transmission, and finally the harmonic balancer. When all of this didn't fix the noise, Mini in Jersey told the tech to do some in depth diag, and then they reviewed the results for over a week. They came to the conclusion that this was normal operation for these cars, and that it was noticeable in all the cars they test drove. I started hearing the noise in the fall with around 6k on it, and just recently took it in with ~11k on it. I find it hard to believe that such a noise (that honestly sounds like a throw-out bearing on it's way out) would be "normal operation."

Discuss.
This is the noise I'm hearing. At a stoplight, in neutral, foot off the clutch. Push in the clutch, still in neutral and no noise. The Indianapolis dealer is saying it's normal slop between the gears. Who knows? I also have the cold start chatter.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
ok... clutch noise is BACK!! at this point im seriously considering lemoning it... im sad because i really do enjoy the MINI but man, this problem is just irritating.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:23 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
ok... clutch noise is BACK!! at this point im seriously considering lemoning it... im sad because i really do enjoy the MINI but man, this problem is just irritating.
I hear you man. You know I heard others with autos say that they wont get MINI mannys until they fix the clutch weak point, and after having my own experience with it, I agree. As much as it suck because I have such a blast with my manual, I think the next will be an auto. At least the Aisin is very efficient and has the paddles.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
yeah.. i dont even know what to do... im seriously considering going the lemon route. I will contact MINI USA first and then take the car to the shop once again. The SA said that if it comes back its time for a new tranny.

Sadly I cannot get myself into an AUTO for a sports/sporty car. The only type of "auto" is a DSG, but those are more accurately classified as a auto-manual in its purest sense.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Back from the dead

Its funny how my ol' faithfull 2006 VW Jetta TDI was once on the chopping block for practically the same problem until she got lemoned. VW had tons of problems with their dual mass flywheels made by LuC (LuK or whatever) cracking under stress. Eventually chunks of flywheel would accumilate inside the bell housing and pressure plates would warp causing *major* clutch disks failure. It really sucked because the failure was esily pawned off as driver abuse. VWs solution, if you could get them to do it; was replace all of the LuK clutch components with ones manufactured by SACHs. Another solution was to install an older style VR6 flywheel, clutch, and PP assembly.

Its sad that manual trannys after 100+ years of engineering even require maintenence, nevermind outright manufactoring defects.

It eclipses me that Mini or LuK would even consider manufactoring a manual gearbox proportioned by a plastic throwout bearing. I mean, a failed throwout bearing is the number 2 cause of all clutch failures! Add to the fact that dual mass flywheels dont do a damn thing more than easily break when everything else wears out and you've got a nice recipe for soup of the day.

I too occasionally hear what I explicitly call throwout bearing/linkage noise. it sounds like the little bugger is spinning off-center pretty heavily. Thats a lot of noise for a plastic pos high impact item.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
Sadly I cannot get myself into an AUTO for a sports/sporty car.
Sorry that yr another victim of the crappy MINI clutch syndrome, but until U actually put an auto MCS thru its paces dont be so close-minded. As a stick devotee, I felt the same way, but after driving an 08 MCSa--and watching manual MCS's regularly get SMOKED by MCSa's in stock-class auto-X--I was convinced. Sure it's not a DSG, and sure one can feel the torque converter in the lower 2 gears, in the taller gears it is still a hoot to drive and one does not have to wonder "what will happen next with my clutch/dmf"? or worse yet, "will my dealer honor warranty work for what can be considered a wear item"? Lots of folks have been denied warranty work by their dealers regarding clutch problems, even clear mfr defects.

If I wouldve kept my R53 I prob wouldve had Randy Webb install a Clutchmasters h/d clutch and flywheel setup, and send all the crappy LuK components to where they belong, to the trash heap of (German) automotive technology.

Last edited by sequence; 12-26-2008 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:23 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Sorry that yr another victim of the crappy MINI clutch syndrome, but until U actually put an auto MCS thru its paces dont be so close-minded.
MINI's performance model, the factory JCW, comes in manual only. I'm curious to hear your response to this fact.

My response? Manual transmissions provide the direct feel and engagement that no automatic (DSG or otherwise) will ever match. It is a purer driving experience, and always will be. Period.

My apologies to checkercoop for going OT, but this "auto-vs. manual" argument crosses way too many lines, and quite frankly "get a new car" is not the type of help I think people want when they say they're having problems with their cars. Unfortunately, warranty service of manual transmissions seem highly dependent on the dealer. Many people post that they get warranty replacements without major issue, others are run through the ringer.

And quite frankly, for every person that loudly complains there are thousands more that don't. Does this imply that not all R56 manual transmissions are inherently problematic? IMO, yes, absolutely.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 AM
sequence
6th Gear
The issue here is with the clutches and flywheels, not the transmissions, which are generally pretty reliable.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:29 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
MINI's performance model, the factory JCW, comes in manual only. I'm curious to hear your response to this fact.
Means nothing to me, man; to say one is better than the other is purely subjective. If MINI ever offered a factory JCW with a high-perfomance DSG-type manumatic setup that could compete with say the R32 Vdub, would that pollute the line in yr narrow world view?
You know, some of us may have other reasons for opting auto, besides crappy oem clutches and dmfs that cant hold up. I did because I have a very shaky left knee (old skiing accidents) that will require at least two surgeries, and I want to be able to motor while recovering.

Oh wait: I won't be able to have a "true" driving experience with the auto, silly me!

I suggest you take yr opinions on the auto to the 2nd gen JCW forum and see how those motorers who have 07-09 MCSa's with tune kits respond. Be brutal and opinionated, they will LOVE that

Old 12-27-2008, 09:39 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
OK, let me rephrase...

For every person that loudly complains there are thousands more that don't. Does this imply that not all R56 clutches/flywheels are inherently problematic? IMO, yes, absolutely.

If this was such a big issue don't you think it would be more than just a vocal minority complaining about it? Yet apparently we have crossed generations with the same "crappy components". I could be wrong here, but MINI manufactures thousands of standard MINIs that come with said clutches and flywheels. Bear in mind I'm talking law of probabilities here, because that's all I have as proof (I wouldn't count my own experience because, quite frankly, I'm only at 15000 mi. albeit with no issues)

I also would like to offer up the possibility...could it possibly be assembly or manufacturing issues as opposed to the components themselves? Possibly. Aren't manufactures allowed for a defective rate?

Anyway I'm done arguing. I've spoken my peace and stated why I think manual transmissions are "worth it". BTW it would've been nice to get an actual response to my post instead of a play on semantics, but anyway.

Again, apologies to OP for talking this way off topic. It would be nice to hear an update, btw. Hopefully the original issues have been resolved to some degree.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:46 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Oh wait: I won't be able to have a "true" driving experience with the auto, silly me!
Posted while I was still composing mine. OK, last time.

My response: "Manual transmissions provide the direct feel and engagement that no automatic (DSG or otherwise) will ever match. It is a purer driving experience, and always will be. Period. "

I stand by this, always will, feel free to disagree. OK, back to the stock problems/issues

Old 01-04-2009, 04:32 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bye bye Drew.

I am on the same camp as other here.... I love my 6-speed Getrag manual, but I am leery of the log term reliability of the LuK clutches and flywheels. My 2005 MCS has had 2 clutch kits and 1 flywheel replaced in 50K miles, all done under warranty, no questions asked. Why? Because MINI and its dealers know that the LuK components are crappy and prone to premature failure and the same defects have made it into the R56 to this very day.

It is the same story with the crappy OEM rubber bushings. Manufacturers put in components that will last the warranty period, not a lifetime. The clutch and bushings are among the weakest links in these cars. It is cheaper for MINI to fit a car with a LuK clutch and rubber bushings at the assembly line than it is to fit quality made components.

And this is where the aftermarket comes in...

This week I am having Powerflex Poly bushings fitted in my '05 R53 S. The factory ones are shot at 51K miles. The Powerflex bushings are rated to last 10 times longer than stock and return 100 times the reliability and road feel these car deserves.

My new clutch and flywheel was fitted 3 weeks ago. So far so good, time will tell. But when this clutch and flywheel goes and the car is over 100K miles, I will fit a new Clutchmasters FX200 stage II clutch and flywheel kit.

And not until MINI demands better quality clutches and FWs from its main supplier, LuK, I will not be purchasing another MINI manual anytime soon.

My other MINI has the Japanese 6-speed auto and I am beyond happy with it. Only narrow minded people and closet race car driver wanna bes are ready to diss it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:07 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
My other MINI has the Japanese 6-speed auto and I am beyond happy with it. Only narrow minded people and closet race car driver wanna bes are ready to diss it.
Wait a minute, I never dissed the auto (read my posts again), never said that you couldn't enjoy driving an auto, never said anyone who drove an auto "was any less of a man" than someone who drove a stick. I'm not sure where you get that from. Maybe from other idiot stick drivers (I definitely understand because there are a lot of jokers out there who will say stupid stuff like that (see standardshift.com), but not from this poster.

As a matter of fact there are some true merits to auto over manual, better 0-60 times, faster shifting, both hands on wheel.

There is some merit, however, to driving manual, which I felt I needed to point out in light of the other poster telling OP to "get an auto" to solve his clutch problems. Direct feel, direct engagement, which is unfortunately something the auto does lack. Honestly, weighing all the pros/cons, I would still get a manual transmission. I cannot give up that direct engagement, and would gladly go aftermarket to get a stable setup if needed.

I also found it necessary to point out that from a pure statistical standpoint that these clutch/flywheel components may be defective, but it might not necessarily due to how they were designed, but rather how the particular clutch/flywheel assembly was manufactured/put together. Several thousand of these identical setups have been placed in 2 gens of Coopers, and still the only hard evidence we have of a major clutch/flywheel problem we have here are a vocal contingent on NAM. Yes, not hard evidence ultimately, but food for thought nonetheless.

BTW whenever arguments pop up in NAM we need to remember we all drive MINIs, therefore we are all smarter than 99.9% of the population, so hopefully no hard feelings.

See you around

Old 01-05-2009, 03:16 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drew, you get no disagreement from me there. It is just that the auto version of this car is nowhere nearly as bad as some make it out to be.

I truly enjoy driving my manual R53 but I won't be buying another until MINI addresses the basic quality control issues they are having with their clutches and flywheels.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:57 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well it turns out my clutch fork was never lubed from factory. So the little ball joint has been running metal on metal. They lubed it up properly and now it doesn't make any noise

Quick Reply: Clutch noise upon release