Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Clutch noise upon release

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:19 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clutch noise upon release

So heres another problem that developed tonight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQIp-JEXg3E
turn up the volume its kinda quiet...this is engine off and bonnet open

I noticed it when parking and putting it into gear...it makes this noise every time I let out the clutch now even in neutral...it happens at the top of the travel (last portion before fully off clutch) (plus I can feel it in the pedal)...im sooo glad I go in tuesday

Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Clutch return spring or pedal bushing?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:15 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Clutch return spring or pedal bushing?
I could be wrong, but I feel like it may be something more to do with closer to the clutch assembly. It can be heard inside the cabin, but its loudest with the hood open by the clutch assembly. Thats where this video is taken is inside the bonnet

Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
woops double post

Old 02-26-2008, 07:09 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
They think it has something to do with the contact with the throwout bearing. They aren't a hundred percent sure, but they can hear and feel the clicking as well, but they can't do anything under warrantee because it functions properly

Old 04-12-2008, 06:53 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
OMGGGGG its getting worse!!!

Now its happening on the push-in as well instead of just the release...its a little louder now and can be felt more

Heres a new video of it...just turn it up it didn't come out that loud on my camera phone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zlIvin55g

I'm going in tue cuz my engine whistle at idle is back so hopefully they can look at this again and maybe decided it should be fixed for safety reasons

Old 04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started to hear linkage-movement sounds last night when driving kinda slow on city streets. Only happens on the lower gears. Is this how your problem started? Thanks!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax
I started to hear linkage-movement sounds last night when driving kinda slow on city streets. Only happens on the lower gears. Is this how your problem started? Thanks!
Yeah if I do notice it on shifts its usually more during 2nd and 3rd...I really only notice it when the car is off and stopped...so not really affecting the driving, but to me its a safety hazard cuz now I have to wait till the clutch sticks while driving to have it fixed....comforting

Old 04-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine makes the same noise when releasing the clutch. I didn't really think anything of it since it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. ...I just can't wait for a problem to arise.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Böhme417
Mine makes the same noise when releasing the clutch. I didn't really think anything of it since it doesn't seem to be affecting anything. ...I just can't wait for a problem to arise.
My R56 is heading into the shop for service on Tuesday (just under 4k miles: oil change and a punch list of little issues) and I am going to have them take a look at the linkage / clutch noise matter. We had a run in NW CT today and within an hour I could hear the noise and feel the linkage moving on shifting again. I'll let you know what they say...

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2008, 04:10 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Is the noise you are hearing a chattering type noise heard only when in neutral and your foot off the clutch? If so I just received my 07 mcs back from the dealer after a month of trying to fix this issue. They first replaced the flywheel, then the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing assembly, then the transmission, and finally the harmonic balancer. When all of this didn't fix the noise, Mini in Jersey told the tech to do some in depth diag, and then they reviewed the results for over a week. They came to the conclusion that this was normal operation for these cars, and that it was noticeable in all the cars they test drove. I started hearing the noise in the fall with around 6k on it, and just recently took it in with ~11k on it. I find it hard to believe that such a noise (that honestly sounds like a throw-out bearing on it's way out) would be "normal operation."

Discuss.

Last edited by e30r56; 04-20-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by e30r56
Is the noise you are hearing a chattering type noise heard only when in neutral and your foot off the clutch? If so I just received my 07 mcs back from the dealer after a month of trying to fix this issue. They first replaced the flywheel, then the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing assembly, then the transmission, and finally the harmonic balancer. When all of this didn't fix the noise, Mini in Jersey told the tech to do some in depth diag, and then they reviewed the results for over a week. They came to the conclusion that this was normal operation for these cars, and that it was noticeable in all the cars they test drove. I started hearing the noise in the fall with around 6k on it, and just recently took it in with ~11k on it. I find it hard to believe that such a noise (that honestly sounds like a throw-out bearing on it's way out) would be "normal operation."

Discuss.

Mine is only a clicking noise while releasing the clutch in neutral. It can be felt too. They dealer said it could be rubbing in the throwout bearing, but couldn't know for sure or really fix it since nothing is malfunctioning

Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 PM
e30r56
4th Gear
Yup, sounds like my noise. You can try saying it didn't make it when you bought your car, so why should it now. Unfortunately you will end up having to live with it. The higher-ups say it's normal.

Good luck.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:36 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by e30r56
Yup, sounds like my noise. You can try saying it didn't make it when you bought your car, so why should it now. Unfortunately you will end up having to live with it. The higher-ups say it's normal.

Good luck.
Well the tech that works on my car said he could feel it too cuz he took me out in another car and he said he could definitely feel the difference in smoothness...he took the slave cylinder off and something else to grease it up a little, but said it was probably something in the throwout bearing... warrantee wouldn't cover a replacement at this stage because everything is working fine, but at least they acknowledged that it was not normal and now I'm on file for that problem so I guess I have a free clutch replacement guaranteed in the future

Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 PM
Böhme417
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Mine is only a clicking noise while releasing the clutch in neutral.
This is the case with mine. It only does it when releasing the clutch. It doesn't do it when the car is idling. However, I can't feel anything in the pedal. It's just that squeaking sound. I wouldn't suspect anything if it weren't for the noise, and it definitely wasn't there when I first got the car.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
The dealer told me that my linkage noise was normal, too. Not that I expected anything different, but, as everyone else has said, it's on record as being present as a symptom at this time.

My dealer has had my car for 15 days ... oil change, tach replacement, center the exhaust in the rear spoiler, and replace a driving lamp bulb. I'm starting to freak out.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:14 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
The dealer told me that my linkage noise was normal, too. Not that I expected anything different, but, as everyone else has said, it's on record as being present as a symptom at this time.

My dealer has had my car for 15 days ... oil change, tach replacement, center the exhaust in the rear spoiler, and replace a driving lamp bulb. I'm starting to freak out.
Don't worry there are just a few start up kinks that the car may have that need little tweeks here and there...everything will be ok and you can enjoy motoring in the funnest car

Old 09-30-2008, 11:38 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
hey guys, just found this thread. I had a similar issue a long while back where the clutch pedal would "squeak" after warmed up. It didnt matter if i was in gear, or not, the pedal would make the sound.

Long story short, the techs said it was on the slave cylinder end, i already knew that based on the sound location, and that it was something to do with where the slave cylinder contacted the clutch fork(well something along those lines). anyway, they were able to lube it and all was well....

now the creaking noise has appeared and im going to take it into the dealership. Hopefully they can fix it for good.

Old 10-01-2008, 03:04 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear

Ok, like you I am starting to freak out and get really mad.
I have had a bad water pump, bad AC compressor, bad cat, went to another dealer and told me the clicking was a bad pressure plate and that they would do the fix (gotta find time to get out there), and was just up there for a whine and a clicking in my window motor when it goes up and down and they say the its the water pump again

Lets just say I am not a happy camper. Luckily I am working on it, but the dealer sure tried to make more money off of me Told them I am looking for a buy back/replacement and they simply offered me 16.5K for the car!!! 16.5K!!! what an insult that exact day was 1 year from the day I ordered it and the car was only 11 months and I paid $21K! MINIs do not lose value like that and they should not treat my case like a trade-in (except mine kind of has lost a lot of value because who wants to buy an 11 month old car with a list of repair-work already? My issue to deal with? No way they need to step up and realize they cannot make money off of this...they need to REALLY work on the customer service side over finances sometimes, although I think they need to all the time). This is the failure of a product not a person bored of their car looking to get a new one. I simply want a replacement car that I refuse to pay more money on. Like I'm going to spend more money on a car that is no different when I plan was to keep the car wayyyy past warrantee and maintain myself. So the heck to see if my defective car is gunna cost ME money

Sorry end of rant

Old 10-01-2008, 04:41 AM
GregO
4th Gear
lemon it

ccoop,

How many days has your car spent in the shop? If it's been over 30, I'd look into lemon-lawing it. MINI seems to have earned that "stain" given your situation, and given your problems and attempts to resolve it, I'd do an initial consultation and take a hard look at that. Good luck...

Greg

Old 10-01-2008, 04:53 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
ccoop,

How many days has your car spent in the shop? If it's been over 30, I'd look into lemon-lawing it. MINI seems to have earned that "stain" given your situation, and given your problems and attempts to resolve it, I'd do an initial consultation and take a hard look at that. Good luck...

Greg
The problem is I am 20 (just turned it today actually haha), so I cannot have a loaner car (didn't find that out when I bought it, but they sure did use that as one of the bonuses for buying it...found out when I needed service). That means that whatever problems arise I must go drive all the way to the dealer, have it diagnosed, then drive it back and wait till the parts are in. Once they are in I have to schedule an appointment and then sit there and wait for the work to be completed (water pump took a few hours and AC compressor and cat took like 4...the clutch will take all day and its at another dealer that is 80 miles away).

So really my headache is even more than others because I cannot just drop my car off, get a loaner, and come back when its done. Instead I must plan it on days that school is closed or when I do not have to work. I feel I deserve really good compensation and the fact the dealer tried to charge me to switch because of their mistake is an insult. I have something in the works though and hopefully it pulls through pretty well. If all else fails, I'm 2 water pumps down and just need it to fail 2 more times haha

Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
at least your dealer provides loaners.. mine only has shuttle service.

As for lemon laws... i think it has to be in the shop for 30 days for the same problem... at least thats what ive heard. It varies from state to state though.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Once you get her back you will forget the wait

Old 10-01-2008, 08:57 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
at least your dealer provides loaners.. mine only has shuttle service.

As for lemon laws... i think it has to be in the shop for 30 days for the same problem... at least thats what ive heard. It varies from state to state though.
Here in florida it is 3 attempts for a fix that is something that affects operation or value. Water pump is perfect because it affects operation majorly

Old 10-04-2008, 09:00 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
hey just so you all know, the dealer that is taking care of my clutch informed me that the day I took it into them that a new bulletin was posted. Its for an Unpleasant Noise in the clutch, but it only is specific to the S which is weird.

Quick Reply: Clutch noise upon release