Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Event-Horizon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TK76911S
Won't 0w-30 hurt your engine, since 5w-30 is spec'd in the manual?
No, it is ok to run 0w-30. The 0w part of the oil allows for easier starts in the morning when it is cold because the oil flows like a 0 weight oil. Once the engine has warmed up, this particular oil, acts more like a 40 weight oil because of its higher viscosity index than most other 30 multi-weights.

Plus, it meets all the BMW oil requirements.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How do you know you have the same issue as MissLindsey?

Originally Posted by lava
No - nothing to do with the clutch. I've sat it out and let it go away, and I've driven away while it was still clattering - clutch has no affect on noise. Warming up makes it go away. Sometimes its 2 minutes, sometimes 30 seconds.
I'm curious as to how those that have similar symptoms know absolutely that there is only one root cause? Lots can create start up noises. What fixes your car may not fix all cars.

Matt

Old 02-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Arnbut
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I just read this whole thing.

Have you ever over-revved a '67 Rover and heard the valves groan for thier lives?
That's what the "sound" reminds me of.
Like this guy said:
Originally Posted by minicobra1
You have a good point, but there are other direct injection systems out on the market, BMW, Audi, Peugeot, etc, this hasn't been reported to be a problem across the board. I'm not a professional mechanic, but I have worked on normally aspirated engines in the past and remember hearing a similar sound when the timing was off on a rebuilt 302 V8. If the exhaust valves dont open quick enough to release the spent gasses it can create back pressure in the engines cylinder and cause rough idling and a helicopter or diesel type sound.
It also reminds me of a problem that Honda had with it's v-4 motorcycle engines in the early 80's from lack of top-end lubrication.

My car's not doing it, I'm glad to say.
If it were, I'd switch to a POA group-IV synthetic oil like Amsoil and use a 0W-30.
Flow dynamics are important.

I also remember a problem that Ferarri had with valve noise and grinding and they told owners to use a 0W-20.

The owner who suggested mounting an oil pressure gauge and watching the results is on the right track (IMHO). I'd like to see that done on a habitually-offending car, both with standard oil and with the Amsoil 0w-30.

Somebody try it...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:48 AM
misslindsey
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lava
No - nothing to do with the clutch. I've sat it out and let it go away, and I've driven away while it was still clattering - clutch has no affect on noise. Warming up makes it go away. Sometimes its 2 minutes, sometimes 30 seconds.
Like I said: MY cold start noise appears to be clutch-related. The other times I didn't really notice, just sat it out and it went away. And I may not have noticed it save for my savvy coworker, as it doesn't totally go away with the clutch depressed, and I would have been slowly letting out a clutch to launch and to 2nd gear when pulling away anway - especially as I was trying to baby it before it warmed up.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:30 AM
mataku
5th Gear
Glad motoringfile got on top of it as they are able to generate a lot of noise. I just hope the dealers catch on. I can't even get the cold start issue to replicate itself, especially with the new oil. It's been in the negatives and lower teens, but still no noise. Now the question becomes, do I keep using 0w-40 to keep the noise away or do I use 5w-30 to get the dealer to hear it and document the problem.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
Finally a CEL.

Well my cold start issue finally registered a CEL. It stalled 3x times, before getting fired up. Now maybe they can pinpoint my issue.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Event-Horizon
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sbutler20
Well my cold start issue finally registered a CEL. It stalled 3x times, before getting fired up. Now maybe they can pinpoint my issue.
The stalling is related to another issue. It has to do with a frozen throttle boddy.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Event-Horizon
The stalling is related to another issue. It has to do with a frozen throttle boddy.
According to the SA he said it was due to a high ethanol content so hopefully we can find out soon.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Those of you who refer to "warming up" do you mean that liteterally, or does it relate more to the fact that the engine has run for a period? That is, an engine won't "warm up" in several seconds. Although related, based on what I've read here, the issue seems more likely to be oil deficiency than temperature, especially given the "parked on a slope" factor. Parking on a slope shouldn't affect the oil pump's ability to get oil to a particular location in the engine, but could affect the amount of oil that stays in that location when the engine is off.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Motoring File has posted an article, leave comments there!!, I have a feeling that BMW/Mini pay close attention to their forms.
http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/02/20/r56-mcs-engines-cold-start-issue-exposed/

How can we get an online list started?? any Ideas??

Braden

Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
While there are exceptions...

Originally Posted by sbutler20
According to the SA he said it was due to a high ethanol content so hopefully we can find out soon.
Most of the stuff I hear quoted by SA can be classed as pure excriment. This isn't a universal statement, but this is really the last place I'd go for any serious information.

Matt

Old 02-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Laser-Red
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
Most of the stuff I hear quoted by SA can be classed as pure excriment. This isn't a universal statement, but this is really the last place I'd go for any serious information.

Matt
Most exceptions are rare!

Old 02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
prb44t
3rd Gear
MINI had technicians look at my car last week. I was told "We are aware of the problem and are looking into it. But there is nothing to worry about, its not causing any damage." Though when asked what causes the sound they said "we're pretty sure the noise is coming from the area of the chain tensioner." Wow that makes me feel so much better!

I don't know about the rest of you but I decided to take a different approach to the issue. Since MINI says the noise isn't a problem, and since I am already 20K into my warranty I've decided to push my luck. I am no longer waiting for the noise to stop before I start driving, nor am I going easy on the car while the sound persists. I figure the only way to get some proof that the noise causes damage is to push MINI's ascertion that there is nothing to worry about. I figure I got nothing to loose the sound is already lasting longer, over 5 min in some cases now, and happens when just sitting a few hours now, not just overnight.

So maybe 0w30 helps, but I wonder if its already too late from a damage perspective.

Last edited by prb44t; 02-21-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 AM
steaming79
4th Gear
any way to digg the motoringfile article? the article needs to be dugg and spread.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:23 PM
korby
6th Gear
From the 207 oc Peugeot forum , the car that share's the same engine .
Re: engine noise when cold
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:06:34 PM »

hi guys,
i now have the conclusion to this problem..after 9 weeks at the dealers and the engine in bits it has finally been diagnosed. oil starvation!! basically when the engine drains oil down to the sump there is no oil left in the cylinder head and when you start up from cold the oil valves dont let oil through to the cylinder head until the oil pressures is so high the oil is forced through hence engine has been damaged and a new unit is required!
seen as though peugeot say this noise is a characteristic of the engine when in truth the tractor sounding noise is actually your engine slowly being killed! unfortunatlly it seems as though this engine has a very poor design fault which is allowing this to happen and peugeot are trying to say it is normal and hoping that none of the engines actually go bang within the warrenty period

the same unit is fitted in the mini cooper s and many people are having the same problem even with a new engine fitted the problem has returned for a number of people, hence it is the engine at fault, although it only seems to afect cars that run on short journeys and get started and stopped while still cold.
i have found this out from the head mechanic at peugeot dealer as i was clearing my car out..... yes i have made the decision to part company with the 207, was a good car while it was quiet, but i am not prepared to have a car that is a time bomb waiting to go off! for those who's interested i got a crackin deal on a 407 sw sport xs with the 2.2 hdi 170 bhp engine.

i really hope everyone else who is having the same problem as me gets theres sorted but i think in the long run it will be best to get rid before the warrenty expires

andy

Old 02-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Event-Horizon
2nd Gear
More reason to run 0w-30 weight oil then.

Those that still have the "cold start noise" should try Castrol 0w-30 and see if the noise goes away.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM
russr
5th Gear
If that guy who owns the Peugot 207oc is correct, then this problem would affect the MC too right?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
This is great... Basically owning a second gen MINI beyond the warranty period is akin as to playing russian roullette. I hope the Prince engine doesn't turn out to be the fiasco of the century.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:04 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by russr
If that guy who owns the Peugot 207oc is correct, then this problem would affect the MC too right?
Apparently so.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
russr
5th Gear
ClubmanS, are you experiencing this problem on your brand new clubman? I've yet to see any reports of '08 model owners having the cold start problem. Granted, this more than likely due to the low mileage we have on our cars.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:27 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I haven't even taken delivery of my new Clubman (yet). That will happen sometime this coming week. You would think this would make cancel my order, but I am going to go forward with it. Not holding my breath that the car at some point will develop these symptoms. If the problem shows up and MINI ca'nt fix it during the warranty period, the car will be traded for a BMW 3 series wagon. That is my exit strategy. Hope I never have to use it as I much prefer MINIs.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:30 PM
korby
6th Gear
http://www.207oc.com/index.php/topic,1554.0.html Here's the link to the Pug forum . I dont know Andy from shinola so take that post with a grain of salt .

Old 02-22-2008, 01:55 PM
bmbleB07
2nd Gear
wow really???

Originally Posted by korby
From the 207 oc Peugeot forum , the car that share's the same engine .
Re: engine noise when cold
« Reply #43 on: Today at 12:06:34 PM »

hi guys,
i now have the conclusion to this problem..after 9 weeks at the dealers and the engine in bits it has finally been diagnosed. oil starvation!! basically when the engine drains oil down to the sump there is no oil left in the cylinder head and when you start up from cold the oil valves dont let oil through to the cylinder head until the oil pressures is so high the oil is forced through hence engine has been damaged and a new unit is required!
seen as though peugeot say this noise is a characteristic of the engine when in truth the tractor sounding noise is actually your engine slowly being killed! unfortunatlly it seems as though this engine has a very poor design fault which is allowing this to happen and peugeot are trying to say it is normal and hoping that none of the engines actually go bang within the warrenty period

the same unit is fitted in the mini cooper s and many people are having the same problem even with a new engine fitted the problem has returned for a number of people, hence it is the engine at fault, although it only seems to afect cars that run on short journeys and get started and stopped while still cold.
i have found this out from the head mechanic at peugeot dealer as i was clearing my car out..... yes i have made the decision to part company with the 207, was a good car while it was quiet, but i am not prepared to have a car that is a time bomb waiting to go off! for those who's interested i got a crackin deal on a 407 sw sport xs with the 2.2 hdi 170 bhp engine.

i really hope everyone else who is having the same problem as me gets theres sorted but i think in the long run it will be best to get rid before the warrenty expires

andy
hey andy i'd love to see some documentation on this, cause i am going to figure out the best possible outcome for most of the r56 owners with this problem. i'd like to figure out different oils and pumps and possibly a deeper sump attachment...

thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
sbutler20
2nd Gear
Update from SA on issue

Ok, so now that my cold start stall/noise what have you has given a code here's what I've got so far....mis-fire in all 4 cyclinders. Both fuel pumps good, both fuel filters good, all air filters good. Ethanol back down to 11%.

Still no word on fix yet...maybe we'll know in a couple hours, it's still in shop.

Wish me luck.

Update: High Presure Fuel Pump. It was getting flucuating pressure at various RPM's. Part is on order so I guess we'll see when it gets installed if it solves the problem.

Last edited by sbutler20; 02-22-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: update
Old 02-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
On another forum...

gnatster had the good suggestion of something called an Accusump. It's a presurized oil resevior that gets filled while driving, and when you turn the car on a solenoid opens to pre-presurize the system.

Anyway, for those that want to help low pressures on start up, this may help. Couple hundred dollars, and you have to find a place to put the resevoir....

Matt

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter