Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
MikeWz
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try parking it on a slant for a long period if you can as well. If you've got ramps or something like that. I'm picking mine up next weekend, and I'll be parking on a driveway that's angled pretty well towards the rear wheels, so I'll get to see how that affects mine too

Old 04-16-2008, 02:10 AM
rippymcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MikeWz
Try parking it on a slant for a long period if you can as well. If you've got ramps or something like that. I'm picking mine up next weekend, and I'll be parking on a driveway that's angled pretty well towards the rear wheels, so I'll get to see how that affects mine too
I don't have ramps and my garage is pretty flat, so I'm gonna try the flat position first and then do the simulated slant with jacks after that.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:14 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rippymcs
Just an update. (reminder: I had the cold start chatter at 235 mile)
My car was parked for four days straight again (for the third time), and no chatter still (car is barely over 400 miles at this point). So we can completely rule out long term parking being one of the cause for the cold start chatter.
I'm going to try and test out the other theory this weekend, which is the short-engine-run theory, where the engine runs for less then a couple of minute prior to shutting it off and then park for extended time.
I just started mine after sitting for 5 days straight (in my garage). I have just over 1200 miles on it and have not yet changed the oil (but I will soon). I didn't get any clatter noise. I ran it for about 5 minutes and then shut it down. Temperatures at night here have been a little chilly, mid-30s range, for that time period.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 AM
bitharvest
1st Gear
my car just sat for 5 days, after a short drive (less than 3 miles), and when i started it this morning, no noise. temps were higher (in the mid 50's) than they have been, but i've had the noise even in that temp range...
mymini must know it is going in for a service appointment next week!

Old 04-16-2008, 06:26 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
So I guess we can rule out short engine run as the culprit.

Today I went to the dealer to pickup my license plates, it was an hour drive round-trip. I also stopped for lunch at a place 5 miles away from my house. No unusual noise. When I got home and pulled into the garage, the typical "FSI noise" (sounds like valve tapping) was a bit louder than normal, but not to the point where it sounded like a diesel engine.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
brizio81
Neutral
Please

check this site:

http://www.r56mcs.com

It's a dedicated site abt cold start issue, the site is ---new--- and there is ---no post yet--- but it's a good opportunity for a survey / poll about the chatter!

Anyone with a recent built MINi has experineced the prob again?

Last edited by brizio81; 04-21-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:30 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
It's been in the 40°+. And after work when I start it it makes the abnormal noise everyday.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:05 AM
korby
6th Gear
Interesting! From Mini 2
If the chain had stretched would this not mean you would hear the noise at least every cold start?

We are only talking 6-12 month old cars and nothing with excessive mileage.

How old were those Nissans?

Seem to affect lot of Nissans (micras, sentras, almeras)

Timing chain question [Archive] - Micra Sports Club

2007 Micra, timing chain/tensioner noise on starting engine - RAC Motoring Forum

"worked at Nissan for ten years and we have long experienced timing chain problems

The most common engines that sufferd from chain sretch were the almera and primera models (X99-54 plate) fitted with QG15 and QG18 engine.
The K11 model (1993-03) never sufferd from chain stretch (they just used to snap!)

The K12 micra (your model) is fitted with a nissan timing chain and we did have problems with the early K12 chains stretching, which causes loss of power (due to the ignition timing being out) and you may get the engine warning light on which usually flags up a fault with the camshaft position sensor, again this is due to the timing being out.

The noise on start up has been common on the micra since the first models from 1993. It is noticable more on cold mornings, as soon as the oil pump starts getting oil to the top of the engine the noise goes.

I would not be to concerned at the moment about you're car, I know they have fitted a modified chain on the later models so I wouldnt worry untill you notice running problems with the car and/or engine warning lights.

Make sure it is serviced every 9,000 miles or 12 months (whichever is sooner),
to keep ther warranty valid incase the chain needs attention in the future"

VCT problems also sound similar

brgc00perboyView Public ProfileSend a private message to brgc00perboyFind More Posts by brgc00perboyAdd brgc00perboy to Your Buddy List

Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by korby
Interesting! From Mini 2
If the chain had stretched would this not mean you would hear the noise at least every cold start?

I don't profess to be an expert, but it would seem to me, we are talking about VERY minor changes in parameters here. Things, especially metal, change size under different heat/humidity conditions. Thus, it would take the right circumstances for the noise to occur. Of course, the same applies to the oil itself.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
It seems to me the chain tensioner gets stuck in the compressed position and takes time to expand. But some dealers already have replaced the tensioners and the problems came back. All I can say is it must be a design flaw. I will have to let the car go before the warranty is up.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Bhatch
4th Gear
Anyone have any issues related to this chain problem other then the noise?

Last edited by Bhatch; 04-23-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Do Clubman owners also have the cold start clatter?

Old 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM
cycleway4
2nd Gear
Hi...Have followed your posts here on the cold start noise on the MCS's....Is the base engine in the Cooper not effected?...I was thinking they were basically the same [engine] with exception of the turbo on the S?....
This may have been addressed somewhere and I overlooked it.

Steve

Old 04-25-2008, 05:51 AM
russr
5th Gear
The base cooper is not affected. So the Clubman Cooper is not affected, but the Clubman S will be affected.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
The bleeding procedure hasn't worked but it did resolve the issue temporarily.

So I m going to get them to do a full oil change. Or at least have them perform the procedure once again..

The noise is NOT completely random. It has do with how much the temperature changes (at least for cars sitting outside). If the temperature changes too much then I get the problem. If the difference is only 10 F then I dont see the problem.

Also driving short distances might be the issue too (I dont drive much and have just 4000 miles after 9 months of owning it)

Old 04-25-2008, 08:55 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cycleway4
Is the base engine in the Cooper not effected?...I was thinking they were basically the same [engine] with exception of the turbo on the S?....
They are the same block, but IIRC (with the R50/R53 anyway), on the 'S' engine all the internals are replaced with higher performance and stronger bits to handle the extra HP from the turbo/supercharger.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:06 AM
cycleway4
2nd Gear
OK...thanks for the replies....was just curious why it effected one and not the other.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:49 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
So no word from MINIUSA, yet?

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
My theory is that the issue is with the injectors; the chatter noise sounded like amplified injector noise. When I had the noise on my MCS, the noise was more prominent at the top of the block, and not at the side where the timing chain is. This theory is supported by the fact that only MCS, which has FSI, has the noise, and the regular Cooper does not. Again, this is just my theory.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:55 AM
r56mini
6th Gear
I hope some engines go cahpoot! so all the S's can be recalled for a permanent fix or a refund.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope...

Originally Posted by rippymcs
My theory is that the issue is with the injectors; the chatter noise sounded like amplified injector noise. When I had the noise on my MCS, the noise was more prominent at the top of the block, and not at the side where the timing chain is. This theory is supported by the fact that only MCS, which has FSI, has the noise, and the regular Cooper does not. Again, this is just my theory.
It has variable valve lift and different cams. The top of the engine is very different between the two...

Also, if it's just direct injection stuff, why would BMW be doing ANYTHING to the valve train? I think your theory needs some work.

Matt

Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 PM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it's some weird software thing and the timing/injection or something is very advanced. Yes, my theory also needs some work.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 PM
rippymcs
4th Gear
I've worked my theory down to mere speculation.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:20 AM
chandler_vt
3rd Gear
Guys

How many of you have a consistent rattle for more than 3-4 minutes? Mine goes away in a minute or 2 max.

I think the problem is with the cars where the rattle stays on for a really long time.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chandler_vt
Guys

How many of you have a consistent rattle for more than 3-4 minutes? Mine goes away in a minute or 2 max.

I think the problem is with the cars where the rattle stays on for a really long time.
My '07 MCS (Nov. '07 build) had the noise once in Mid-March at about 2000 miles. It went away in about a minute. Hasn't happened since, but I am very concerned about this happening again. I do not understand MINI not addressing this concern ... what's up with that??

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter