Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:34 AM
JimRoberts12
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok...from square one. with this noise what do i need to do with the dealer? people say they've taken bulletins etc. to make sure things were done. do i request a sepecific thing fixed? request a fix ref. number?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Thom228
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I've been kicking the idea of a MSC for about a year and a half. I look at other cars, but always find myself coming back to the idea of a MCS. When I've done my test drives, they just feel "right" to me. And right now, a 2010 Mayfair MCS feels and looks right.

Unfortunately, I keep coming back to these forums and finding reason after reason as to why I wouldn't want to dump 33K on a car that although may be fun, has a history of issues.

I live in Virginia and this winter has been brutally cold, so this issue would seriously impact me. There are tons of information here and I was wondering if the overall feeling is that this issue is still going to impact the '10 models?

Between this and the carbon buildup issue, I have once again decided to put the breaks on placing an order. So yeah, I think waaaay too long when it comes to making a purchase.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Groovin
Neutral
Mini May have a handle on it

I wanted to reserve my comments a I've had my car (Aug 2008 build, clubman S) in for the cold start rattle twice. The first time it could not be reproduced so nothing was done. The second time a couple of weeks ago, the chain tensioner was replaced under the SIM procedure.

I've had maybe 10 cold starts since that time and the noise has not recurred. Before I would consistently have the chatter problem, on probably 7 of 10 cold starts.

So, I'm much happier now, and my mini is too!

Don't let this issue keep you from buying one -

Old 01-14-2010, 11:21 AM
torobud
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Thom228
So I've been kicking the idea of a MSC for about a year and a half. I look at other cars, but always find myself coming back to the idea of a MCS. When I've done my test drives, they just feel "right" to me. And right now, a 2010 Mayfair MCS feels and looks right.

Unfortunately, I keep coming back to these forums and finding reason after reason as to why I wouldn't want to dump 33K on a car that although may be fun, has a history of issues.

I live in Virginia and this winter has been brutally cold, so this issue would seriously impact me. There are tons of information here and I was wondering if the overall feeling is that this issue is still going to impact the '10 models?

Between this and the carbon buildup issue, I have once again decided to put the breaks on placing an order. So yeah, I think waaaay too long when it comes to making a purchase.
Thom - not to sway you one way or another but.... my car has two personalities.. today in Chicago it is a cold but reasonable 31 and no problems with the MINI just like it was 50 or 70 or 100 outside... but put that temp down in the single digits and everything changes...

My point - for Viriginia... you should be fine

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Groovin
I wanted to reserve my comments a I've had my car (Aug 2008 build, clubman S) in for the cold start rattle twice. The first time it could not be reproduced so nothing was done. The second time a couple of weeks ago, the chain tensioner was replaced under the SIM procedure.

I've had maybe 10 cold starts since that time and the noise has not recurred. Before I would consistently have the chatter problem, on probably 7 of 10 cold starts.

So, I'm much happier now, and my mini is too!

Don't let this issue keep you from buying one -
How long did yours (and anyone elses here) procedure take???

I dropped mine off at 730am this morning and got a call its done at 230pm...

I know thats 7 hours, but just wanted to make sure they actually did it all... said they replaced the tensioner/ chain / ect..

Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Um, I'm not sure if you're attempting to call me out, or call out your service manager. I said "could be related in an ancillary way" because, right now, that's the general consensus out there among SAE engineers, some of who own MCS's, that have both problems. Some have even blamed the valve train vacuum pump, and if that goes in yr $30K go-kart, so too will the engine.
Nope not trying to call anyone out, I just don't understand the link between the tensioner/chain and the HLA. Perhaps these are 2 distinct problems and not necessarily related. My car used to rattle now it hammers. I will admit that I am not an powertrain engineer, but to me they are 2 separate issues. Replacing the chain and tensioner did get rid of the "rattle" or "chatter", but I think the issue I am currently experiencing lies somewhere else, either the HLAs or vacuum pump. I think Mini knows its a problem and are not willing to spend the money to have it fixed. I did take it to the dealer and they were of course not able to replicate the problem (story of my life). I am going to video tape every time I start that thing up in the morning, just to prove to them that I'm not crazy if nothing else. I fear though that even if they were able to replicate it, the only action they'd take is to replace the chain/tensioner. Oh well, if I have to "live" with it, then so be it, but this will probably be my second and last Mini.

Last edited by bigsmittyJAS; 01-14-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:04 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well then It's prob time to repost the link to this thread at the Michigan MINI forum explaining turbo Prince engine HLAS. Best to read, at your risk, Tom's technical writeups in blue and his responses to other posters in black.

http://www.michiganmini.org/forum/in...p?topic=3115.0

Take some time and go thru the entire thread, Beleive me, you will feel smarter.

>EDIT< BigSmitty I noticed y're already on that forum, so this link is for those who have not read it, or need an education in valve train enginnering. Hey and we do have one thing in common: the total complete awesome-ness of CR/B

Last edited by sequence; 01-15-2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:13 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bigsmittyJAS
Nope not trying to call anyone out, I just don't understand the link between the tensioner/chain and the HLA. Perhaps these are 2 distinct problems and not necessarily related. My car used to rattle now it hammers. I will admit that I am not an powertrain engineer, but to me they are 2 separate issues. Replacing the chain and tensioner did get rid of the "rattle" or "chatter", but I think the issue I am currently experiencing lies somewhere else, either the HLAs or vacuum pump. I think Mini knows its a problem and are not willing to spend the money to have it fixed. I did take it to the dealer and they were of course not able to replicate the problem (story of my life). I am going to video tape every time I start that thing up in the morning, just to prove to them that I'm not crazy if nothing else. I fear though that even if they were able to replicate it, the only action they'd take is to replace the chain/tensioner. Oh well, if I have to "live" with it, then so be it, but this will probably be my second and last Mini.
I bolded the response that yeah it sounds like yr HLAs, and that while the tensioner/chain issue may be seperate, they could be related issues within the same mechanical realm. After all, all that banging has to create mechanical stress on the entire valve train.

Tip for recording: do it inside the car, hvac and stereo off, glovebox door open. There's way too much ambient noise with the DI and everything else if you record outside. Besides, if you do it with a video camera, you can capture your odometer as well.

Then, take that and yr car, to your dealer and leave it for a week to have them reproduce the noise. They should be able to by parking it nose-down, or starting it, let it run for less than a minute, shut it off, and restart.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by iwashmycar
How long did yours (and anyone elses here) procedure take???

I dropped mine off at 730am this morning and got a call its done at 230pm...

I know thats 7 hours, but just wanted to make sure they actually did it all... said they replaced the tensioner/ chain / ect..

That is the same amount of time that same dealer took to do mine. You should be fine.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Just scheduled another service visit. Dropping it off tuesday night and they will listed on Wednesday.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Just posted on Motoringfile. Mini to try again!!!

http://www.motoringfile.com/2010/01/...problem-again/

Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Just saw this! Very good news. Gonna call my SA and make sure he knows!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
And just for S and G, here is another video of the noise in the morning. This is the under the hood view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/willsisti/4276530323/

Old 01-16-2010, 08:08 AM
sequence
6th Gear
I have my doubts this will solve the problem. I think it's much deeper and more systemic than adding a couple links to the chain. We'll see, I guess.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So here's my problem:

Sent my car in, they said I was 1qt low in oil, topped it off, said that's why the car was noisy and sent me on my way. About 10 days went by, I have 2 oil spots in my driveway from my car (My car has NEVER leaked oil until now), and the clatter is back, but not as bad or as noisy as before, but there is some clatter. WTF?!?

Also, It leaked oil for a few days (that i noticed, at least) and hasn't leaked since.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM
urrrric
2nd Gear
Old 01-16-2010, 07:43 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
Also, It leaked oil for a few days (that i noticed, at least) and hasn't leaked since.
Probably some knucklehead missed the fill cap and your spot was the residual. Never really heard of a car being noisy because it is low on oil (unless it is SIGNIFICANTLY low on oil). Mini dealerships must have a book of BS that they keep handy to placate people complaining about that noisy motor.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Cold Start "Hammer." How appropriate!

Also, MF is jumping to the conclusion that all's well with the 4th fix. Maybe they should insert "attempts to" between "MINI" and "solves."

Last edited by sequence; 01-17-2010 at 07:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:57 AM
WillF
1st Gear
I attempted to read this whole thread, but 60 pages defeated me. Is it true that if you're build date is after 03/09 then you should be safe from the cold start chatter issues? I have an 09 MCCS with a build date listed on the door sticker as 06/09, am I safe or still possibly screwed?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM
BlackMagicMini
2nd Gear
I attempted to read this whole thread, but 60 pages defeated me. Is it true that if you're build date is after 03/09 then you should be safe from the cold start chatter issues? I have an 09 MCCS with a build date listed on the door sticker as 06/09, am I safe or still possibly screwed?
My reco is do not worry about it and do not look for problems. Enjoy the car and if yours is inflicted with the design issue, you will hear it and know what it is.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
bigsmittyJAS
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlackMagicMini
My reco is do not worry about it and do not look for problems. Enjoy the car and if yours is inflicted with the design issue, you will hear it and know what it is.
Good advice, but realistically, if Mini has had 4 failed opportunities to fix the problem on all pre-03/09 cars, what are the chances they got it right on the post 03/09 cars? I wouldn't worry about it though. All of these noises are just annoying, not a threat to your car. However, the best advice I think you can get is to have all of this stuff documented. If something doesn't sound right, bring it in and at least get it on a service record somewhere.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Quinoa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by WillF
... Is it true that if you're build date is after 03/09 then you should be safe from the cold start chatter issues? I have an 09 MCCS with a build date listed on the door sticker as 06/09, am I safe or still possibly screwed?
No, it is not true that 3/9 was "the fix". You will likely, eventually, also have issues with yours. BMW has just issues yet another "fix". This time a longer timing chain. Only time will tell if this fix is an improvement ....

Our 09 has a build date of May 2009 and it has just started doing it after sitting over a week.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Quinoa
Our 09 has a build date of May 2009 and it has just started doing it after sitting over a week.
Is it a raspy, rattly sound, or a hammer-on-metal pounding?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WillF
The relevent date is not when your car was assembled, but the date the engine was assembled.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Going to the dealer in about an hour. Already sent them the MotoringFile article and my videos. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter