Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sequence I know this thread goes on forever and I'm too lazy to ready your original post/fix. Did they do the full maintenance (SIM 110207) or just the tensioner?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM
bagwell
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
death rattle... that sucks... I'm getting burned out with this car really fast.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exact same story with me. Only got a few thousand miles out of the version #3 tensioner before the start-up death rattle returned. The Rasmussen service reps explained BMW had replaced the replacement tensioners - again - and I had the previous version. All is well so far with the latest latest tensioner.

What really surprized me was the replacement timing chain also failed the deflection test after only 3500 miles. Anyway, the dealership replaced it all without any prompting on my part.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
MG is there an updated SIM bulliten to go with the new part(s)? It'd be great to get a PDF version uploaded so if other's of us re-experience the problems we can be better equiped when we approach our dealer

Old 08-11-2010, 10:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rixter
Sequence I know this thread goes on forever and I'm too lazy to ready your original post/fix. Did they do the full maintenance (SIM 110207) or just the tensioner?
Just the tensioner. Also, my service folks are just as frustrated about this as we are.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:50 PM
oldMGguy
2nd Gear
MG is there an updated SIM bulliten to go with the new part(s)? It'd be great to get a PDF version uploaded so if other's of us re-experience the problems we can be better equiped when we approach our dealer
My understanding from the SA's comments is that the SIM-11-02-07 is still the definitive repair order for this problem, but has been updated several times. The latest and greatest chain tensioner part number is 11-31-7-597-895.

If you've have a previous "death rattle" repair and don't have the -895 tensioner, expect problems in your future. I'm no lawyer, but since BMW has already tried to repair your car, and subsequently found the replacement part to be itself defective, you would have a very good case to argue for a no-cost repair even if off warranty.

From my latest experience with my wife's '07 MCS, it appears there is a "silent" recall underway. Her MINI started the "death rattle" at 27,000 miles and then only rarely. I told the SA if they can't hear the rattle, I'll pay for a new tensioner (a $45 part) in any case - just fix it. The response I got was basically "If you're complaining about it, that's good enough reason for us". The end result was the "full monty" repair with the -895 tensioner. So far, so good!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
Just the tensioner. Also, my service folks are just as frustrated about this as we are.
Sequence, I had the full repair done on mine a year ago. Granted I've only driven 2000 miles since then, but still with your repeated problems, I'd as for the full repair according to the service bulletin.

oldMG, thanks for the update

Old 09-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Regarding this issue, I took my new-to-me 2008 MCS to the dealer to have some warranty issues taken care of, one of which was the cam chain tensioner since she clattered like a diesel.

When I got her back, all of the issues I came in with were addressed, BUT, instead of sounding like a diesel she now sounds like a sewing machine. As in, there is still a tick-tick-tick-tick audible from outside the car. Not nearly as bad as the clatter before the replacement, but still noisier than I would expect. My previous car was a 2006 Kia Rio with a 1.6, and at 50k miles she was still much quieter at idle than my 18k MCS.

Since this is my first DI car, are they just naturally a little noisy, or should I ask the dealer to look farther into the issue?

My service ticket mentions: Timing Chain Tensioner, SI M 11 02 07 - Defect Code: 11 33 04 39 00. And the part number was 11-31-7-607-551.

Apparently chain slack measured at 65mm before the tech replaced the timing chain tensioner piston...

Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Tick tick tick is the direct injection.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:06 AM
skippydog
3rd Gear
Yup the tick tick tick is normal. The DI injectors are very loud.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:34 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Awesome, thanks for the info! So instead of purring like a kitten, she purrs like a kitten... sewing.

Works for me

Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Maurtis
My service ticket mentions: Timing Chain Tensioner, SI M 11 02 07 - Defect Code: 11 33 04 39 00. And the part number was 11-31-7-607-551.

Apparently chain slack measured at 65mm before the tech replaced the timing chain tensioner piston...
Same as my 07. Slack measured 65mm. They replaced the tensioner with the same part number. Engine is much quieter now at all rpms. Customer request was enough to check, they didn't need to hear it.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:23 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mini has a fix for this problem, and will do it under warranty. Suggest you see your dealer.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by BMBULBE
Mini has a fix for this problem, and will do it under warranty. Suggest you see your dealer.
That's only partially correct.

There are a handful of fixes, of varying degree, depending on the severity of the noise, and the history/frequency of its occurance (documented, not actual).

MINI now requires us to check the engine oil level first. If it's at all low, we are required to top it off, recheck it, and if the noise has diminished, we can't perform any further repairs.

IF the problem reoccurs, we can then check/replace the timing chain tensioner (some will be an updated p/n, some will just be a replacement.)

IF the problem reoccurs again/still, we can check the slack in the timing chain, and replace as needed.

We have seen at least three vehicles where excess slack in the chain caused the chain guides on the top end of the motor (which are plastic, btw ) to break off, causing catastrophic engine failure. Two were well out of warranty by mileage (66k, 59k) but MINI still took care of the repairs.

While MINI only requires oil changes every 12-20,000 miles per the service indicator, if your plan is to keep the vehicle, I would HIGHLY recommend changing your oil at least every 10,000 miles - even if it's out of pocket, and do so at a dealer. This will ensure your warranty will have some...flexibility...should the need arise.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Rixter
5th Gear
Hey Gokaht, Skippy, Minidrvr, Maurtis, et al can you guys go and quickly do the Cold Start poll when you get a chance so we can try to get some stats regarding this issue. You can find it at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-issues.html

Thanks
Ric

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
k, voted. Thanks Ric for pointing out the poll.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:55 AM
gokaht
3rd Gear
Hey Gokaht, Skippy, Minidrvr, Maurtis, et al can you guys go and quickly do the Cold Start poll when you get a chance so we can try to get some stats regarding this issue. You can find it at https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-issues.html

Thanks
Ric
I'd love to, but I'm a MINI Service Advisor for a dealership - I own an R53, so it doesn't apply to me

Old 02-20-2012, 03:23 AM
TWINDAD222
1st Gear
This thread seems to be a bit old but, I thought I would ask. I have a 09 Clubman S with 52k miles on it. I am having a couple of problems that I wanted to see if anyone knew how to get fixed at this point. I just replaced the turbo hoses due to a leak. Then 2 days later cold engine start issue with check engine light. Does anyone know if SIM-11-02-07 correct this problem and more importantly can I get MINI to pay for it? Since I am past my 36k and 50k marks I am guessing not. From what I am hearing to get the problem corrected will cost in the 13-1500dollar range. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 AM
pedroa1
1st Gear
Cold Start Rattle

Cooper S 2008, 52K. The car has been in 3-4 times (since purchase) for correcting the problem. It started to do it again recently when cold and at low rpm. Perhaps Mini hasn't been able to find a lasting fix because everything has been replaced. Can't help with the cost because it has been paid by mini extended warranty.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Cold Rattle Causes: Due to Timing Chain/Tensioner

Recently, Mini assisted the delear to pay the entire cost for replacing the timing chain and tensioner of my 2007 mini cooper S because i have been complaining about the "cold chatter" since I picked-up the car in Sept '07. It was nice of my service advisor to finally acknowledge that the product is defective.

In addition to the latest recall notice about the secondary water pump, Mini should also send the recall notices about these issues including: timing chain, tensioner, oil line to turbo, water pump.

I wonder why the NHTSA did not push Mini to send the recall notices on the above issues. The mini owners have been complaining about these issues since 2007.

Mini owners, go to the NHTSA website and file your complaints! Occupy Mini!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Sundevil
Recently, Mini assisted the delear to pay the entire cost for replacing the timing chain and tensioner of my 2007 mini cooper S because i have been complaining about the "cold chatter" since I picked-up the car in Sept '07. It was nice of my service advisor to finally acknowledge that the product is defective.

In addition to the latest recall notice about the secondary water pump, Mini should also send the recall notices about these issues including: timing chain, tensioner, oil line to turbo, water pump.

I wonder why the NHTSA did not push Mini to send the recall notices on the above issues. The mini owners have been complaining about these issues since 2007.

Mini owners, go to the NHTSA website and file your complaints! Occupy Mini!
I am with Sun Devil on this one. I recently just picked up my 09 S from the Dealer after having them replace everything that involved the Chain and Tensior. It was completely covered under the warranty. It started making noise after 5,000 miles, but I never really bothered with it, until my rep said that i could get that clatter resolved next time I come back to the dealer. And the reason I was there originally was because I was getting the recall of the Turbo Aux. Pump replaced.

I believe it should be a recall since it seems to happen to all the MINIs I have heard or seen or talked to people about it. I guess it wont be a recall until a bunch of MINIs crap out because of engine failure. If you have the issue, just make sure it gets taken care of prior to the warranty expiring (50,000 miles).

Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
I am with Sun Devil on this one. I recently just picked up my 09 S from the Dealer after having them replace everything that involved the Chain and Tensior. It was completely covered under the warranty. It started making noise after 5,000 miles, but I never really bothered with it, until my rep said that i could get that clatter resolved next time I come back to the dealer. And the reason I was there originally was because I was getting the recall of the Turbo Aux. Pump replaced.

I believe it should be a recall since it seems to happen to all the MINIs I have heard or seen or talked to people about it. I guess it wont be a recall until a bunch of MINIs crap out because of engine failure. If you have the issue, just make sure it gets taken care of prior to the warranty expiring (50,000 miles).
I had the timing chain issue (see my sig below). My dealer wouldn't do a thing. In fact, they wouldn't even give me a priority appointment to get it fixed. Due to the water pump recall, they were "all booked up"...for over a MONTH. I couldn't drive the car for fear the chain would break. Thus, I no longer own the car.

I hope MINI reads this thread and takes heed. Some dealers do the right thing...others don't (see MINI of St. Louis).

Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tjtull
I had the timing chain issue (see my sig below). My dealer wouldn't do a thing. In fact, they wouldn't even give me a priority appointment to get it fixed. Due to the water pump recall, they were "all booked up"...for over a MONTH. I couldn't drive the car for fear the chain would break. Thus, I no longer own the car.

I hope MINI reads this thread and takes heed. Some dealers do the right thing...others don't (see MINI of St. Louis).
Sorry to hear that man. Mini of Baltimore has been fairly good to me. I don't understand why they would not honor you issue especially if you are under 50,000.

I recently went in to get my car looked at since the engine idle was fluctuating alot and I had an CEL. They said the fluctuation was because my MAF sensor was covered in K&N filter oil and that they would need to replace it, not under warranty. I did some research and found that K&N filter oil cannot cause malfunction to the MAF Sensor. (Also how do I really know if the MAF Sensor was really drenched in filter oil). I told them that I would do the work myself. They never even mentioned the CEL. The CEL was because of a bad O2 sensor and I was also misfiring. I resolved my CEL like by replacing the O2 Sensor myself, got the part from Bavarian Auto. Replaced the spark plugs, got them from Amazon, come to find out one of the spark plugs ceramic was cracked and that cylinder 4 was misfiring. Then I clean the MAF Sensor with MAF Sensor Cleaner just to be sure. Misfire was gone, CEL hasn't come back on for 1500 miles.

They wanted to charge me $482 for the MAF, $90/hr for Labor, and $120 for reprogramming. I spend $120 for 02 Sensor, $45 for the spark plugs.

After going back to get the time tensior chain resolved they reprogrammed and I wasn't charged anything. And they said that the program did not come up with any errors.

So were they going to repair or replace the tensior under warranty, was that the plan? It was just that they didn't have space available for you? How much did you sell the car for, if you don't mind me asking?

P.S. My car has 38,000 miles on it.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 PM
tjtull
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SpeedRacer0212
Sorry to hear that man. Mini of Baltimore has been fairly good to me. I don't understand why they would not honor you issue especially if you are under 50,000.

I recently went in to get my car looked at since the engine idle was fluctuating alot and I had an CEL. They said the fluctuation was because my MAF sensor was covered in K&N filter oil and that they would need to replace it, not under warranty. I did some research and found that K&N filter oil cannot cause malfunction to the MAF Sensor. (Also how do I really know if the MAF Sensor was really drenched in filter oil). I told them that I would do the work myself. They never even mentioned the CEL. The CEL was because of a bad O2 sensor and I was also misfiring. I resolved my CEL like by replacing the O2 Sensor myself, got the part from Bavarian Auto. Replaced the spark plugs, got them from Amazon, come to find out one of the spark plugs ceramic was cracked and that cylinder 4 was misfiring. Then I clean the MAF Sensor with MAF Sensor Cleaner just to be sure. Misfire was gone, CEL hasn't come back on for 1500 miles.

They wanted to charge me $482 for the MAF, $90/hr for Labor, and $120 for reprogramming. I spend $120 for 02 Sensor, $45 for the spark plugs.

After going back to get the time tensior chain resolved they reprogrammed and I wasn't charged anything. And they said that the program did not come up with any errors.

So were they going to repair or replace the tensior under warranty, was that the plan? It was just that they didn't have space available for you? How much did you sell the car for, if you don't mind me asking?

P.S. My car has 38,000 miles on it.
No, they were going to charge me full price ($1600 quote) to fix the chain, if it ended up being out of limits. They couldn't fit me in because of the recall...they didn't even TRY to, knowing full well that it wasn't a good idea to continue driving the car.

There's no way I was going to rent a car for over a month while mine sat waiting for a $1600 repair that would never have been necessary if the whole chain assembly wasn't so poorly designed to begin with!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM
SpeedRacer0212
4th Gear
I understand what it means if the chain is out of its limits, but its not like you took the chain out of the car and you intentional stretch the chain. It does that on it own, what bull **** is that. They should honor the warranty; you were under the specified 50,000miles. I don't get that at all. That is just wrong.

Did you happen to go to another dealership and see what they could do for you. If MINI of Baltimore didn't help me I would have gone to MINI of Annapolis or Montgomery or somewhere that would help me and cover it under the warranty. or maybe you are not even allowed to go to another dealership; who knows. But I would have tried... Again that is just terrible service, as long as you are under warranty, and they can't find anything that really relates to resulting in stretched chain that they believe is by your own doing, then you should be covered. If the engine did it to itself, then they should cover it. Sad on their end...

What crap.

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter