Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Cold start chatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Miata13
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
It's just this issue and the fact that I'm 120 miles from my nearest dealer is why MINI, while on my list....is sinking fast as a candidate to replace my '99 Miata. My Miata has nearly 100k miles and has been problem free even while having dodged a number orange pylons and several track days during it's life with me.

I have test driven (last year) a new MINI S and enjoyed it...but if I can't trust its reliability, the fun-to-drive factor goes NEGATIVE real quick.

Sincerely hoping MINI figures this out....

Rick

Last edited by Miata13; 02-05-2008 at 05:14 AM. Reason: typos
Old 02-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is definitely my first and last MCS. I should have bought the non-turbo MINI had I known this issue existed!

Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM
prb44t
3rd Gear
Curious to see if anyone who has had the issue for some time has noticed any change in the sound, volume, or duration of the noise when it occurs. I noticed it first about 2 months ago and it now seems much louder and lasts a longer period of time before it goes away. The temperature these days has actually been a bit warmer than January so I do not think its temperature related.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What scares me about the noise, is it sounds like it is damaging something. Sounds like something is really grinding.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt MF will run an article on this issue, because the owner of that site swears by his R56 and he generally has a very pro-BMW/MINI can't do wrong stance. An article detailing what appears to be a serious defect on this engine may "upset" his "sources" and "VIP treatment" at BMW. Don't get me wrong, I love MF and the effort they put into the content of the site, but at times it seems just like a big commercial for MINI and the R56. I wonder if Gabe has experienced this problem in his JCW stage 1 R56 S? quote=minicobra1;2012503]Email www.motoringfile.com, I've tried to get them to post this issue up and look into it, but they have not responded. I think we need to bring this issue into the spotlight, the more people who are aware of this, the better chance Mini will make it a top priority to solve the problem. There is clearly a problem, it's by no means normal. I'm concerned that a lot of people will have engines that prematurely wear out or break down, probably just after the warranty expires. If it's an oil issue, then there is definitely premature wear happening.
Anyone here write a letter to Mini corporate? what was the response?[/quote]

Old 02-04-2008, 07:21 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what if there was a road trip to the MINI USA corporate building?
Im sure if thousands of MCSs showed up outside their building they may do something (at least id hope they would ) especially if everyone is saying they want theirs bought back

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt MF will run an article on this issue, because the owner of that site swears by his R56 and he generally has a very pro-BMW/MINI can't do wrong stance. An article detailing what appears to be a serious defect on this engine may "upset" his "sources" and "VIP treatment" at BMW. Don't get me wrong, I love MF and the effort they put into the content of the site, but at times it seems just like a big commercial for MINI and the R56. I wonder if Gabe has experienced this problem in his JCW stage 1 R56 S? quote=minicobra1;2012503]Email www.motoringfile.com, I've tried to get them to post this issue up and look into it, but they have not responded. I think we need to bring this issue into the spotlight, the more people who are aware of this, the better chance Mini will make it a top priority to solve the problem. There is clearly a problem, it's by no means normal. I'm concerned that a lot of people will have engines that prematurely wear out or break down, probably just after the warranty expires. If it's an oil issue, then there is definitely premature wear happening.
Anyone here write a letter to Mini corporate? what was the response?
Gabe is a R56 fanboi... you will not see this getting any air time on motoringfile...

Old 02-04-2008, 07:55 PM
ChiliXer
4th Gear
I figure ill add to this too. On top of the stalling on very cold days (better after the ECU update but still there) mine also does some rattling and clattering on cold start. Problems are mostly within the first two minutes of a cold start and mostly in the 1-2.5k rpm bands. It was never that terrible for me but I always stuck to BP and shell fuel. This past week I got stuck out in the middle of nowhere and had to get ameristop gas and what a world of difference. All the sounds are much more noticeable even with the temperatures currently in the 50s. Also I can feel a very noticeable vibration at idle now. Now most of these issues will be less noticeable once I can get some decent fuel in there, but a car sold in this country shouldn't be that sensitive. I could understand some extra noise as part of the DI, but the shaking is worrying. Seems like its misfiring or has something off with the engine timing. I was wondering if this is all part of trying to comply with US emissions but being close to the line and they have to do something weird with the combustion. Who knows, but maybe they should work some of this out before they triple the number of MINI models

Old 02-04-2008, 10:58 PM
SPECKY
1st Gear
Morning everyone. Ok, all you Nasty Rattlers, listen up! Over here in UK we are suffering the same probs as you all are. I have had so much trouble that i had a new engine fitted, as some of you know. But even that didn't fix, as Nasty Rattle is back....EVERY DAY !!!!! No matter how i park or how i've driven, no pattern to it at all, apart from its when its been stood a few hours or more.
We have a monthly mini mag called "MODERN MINI" and i got an e-mail off a guy who runs mini features called Rob Hawkins. Now then, my Mrs's R53 MCS and My R56 JCW MCS are gonna be featured together soon, but after that the mag are gonna do a feature on NASTY RATTLE. Some of the other sufferers and myself are going to be featured with our tales of woe to try and highlight the extent of this problemm to MINI. This could backfire on MINI and cause a slump in sales of R56 MCS, but by the same token it could hit us private owners on resale. The way i see it is that if this problem escalates and starts doin damage to cars that arn't being seen first by mini then we'll get hit with resale probs anyway !!!!!
So i reckon theres nowt to loose but plenty to gain. I for one am all for it!!!

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Unfortunately, I seriously doubt MF will run an article on this issue, because the owner of that site swears by his R56 and he generally has a very pro-BMW/MINI can't do wrong stance. An article detailing what appears to be a serious defect on this engine may "upset" his "sources" and "VIP treatment" at BMW.
I agree with you 100%, it's all politics. At the very least MF could contact there sources and try to get us some help over here, the problem is not going to go away by itself. MF doesn't have to post an article, just get a corporate rep to post something on this forum. The bottom line though is that this is going to get out there one way or another, it would benefit BMW/Mini to quickly find the source to this problem, otherwise when this does become public knowledge, through word of mouth and numerous postings, it will definitely hurt the R56 sales. They need to issue some type of statement acknowledging they are aware that a problem exist. Most people have got no response from corporate MINI, the dealers are just all guessing at this point as to what it could be. There have been numerous people who have had there cars in the shop and had many things replaced with no results. I can't believe that with all the technical people they have working for them that they can't offer a solution to the dealers. I think the main thing that myself and others are concerned with is that they admit there is a problem, and are working on a solution to resolve it. We all know that new cars can sometimes have defects and problems, I'm cool with that, and if they need a little time to figure it out, fine, just let us know that they're working towards fixing it.

Last edited by minicobra1; 02-05-2008 at 02:43 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:51 AM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SPECKY
The way i see it is that if this problem escalates and starts doin damage to cars that arn't being seen first by mini then we'll get hit with resale probs anyway !!!!!
So i reckon theres nowt to loose but plenty to gain. I for one am all for it!!!
There won't be any resale problems as long as MINI handles this properly and provides a fix in a timely manner. If they need to re-design the head, valves, fuel injection system, turbo, oiling system, whatever, or maybe it's just a timing/ecu tune. I'm quite attached to my car, I just want it right.
They need to recognize the problem, if they haven't already, and get a team of master mechanics/engineers to find the source and issue a service bulletin.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Isn't BMW new to turbos?
It sure does sound like my diesel Beetle.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
prb44t
3rd Gear
1974 BMW 2002 Turbo...

Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 AM
VelvetFoot
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Per Wiki:

The 2002 Turbo (production 1,672) was launched at the 1973 Frankfurt Motor Show. It was the company's first turbocharged production car. Power was raised to 170 hp (125 kW) at 5,800 rpm, with 240 Nm (177 ft·lbf) of torque. Unlike Saab and Porsche, companies which also made some of the first turbocharged production cars around this time, BMW has made little use of turbocharging in its gasoline engines since. This trend has broken in 2006 with the introduction of the BMW N54 twin turbo engine in the 335i.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Modnar
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minicobra1
I agree with you 100%, it's all politics. At the very least MF could contact there sources and try to get us some help over here, the problem is not going to go away by itself. MF doesn't have to post an article, just get a corporate rep to post something on this forum. The bottom line though is that this is going to get out there one way or another, it would benefit BMW/Mini to quickly find the source to this problem, otherwise when this does become public knowledge, through word of mouth and numerous postings, it will definitely hurt the R56 sales. They need to issue some type of statement acknowledging they are aware that a problem exist. Most people have got no response from corporate MINI, the dealers are just all guessing at this point as to what it could be. There have been numerous people who have had there cars in the shop and had many things replaced with no results. I can't believe that with all the technical people they have working for them that they can't offer a solution to the dealers. I think the main thing that myself and others are concerned with is that they admit there is a problem, and are working on a solution to resolve it. We all know that new cars can sometimes have defects and problems, I'm cool with that, and if they need a little time to figure it out, fine, just let us know that they're working towards fixing it.
Well, from the looks of this post on MF, there's going to be a 'R56 Cold Start Issue Expose' showing up on MF in the next week or two.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM
korby
6th Gear
Right On !

Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
That would be the first time ever MF will run an article on a controversial quality related subject.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:26 PM
slag1911
4th Gear
That would be the first time ever MF will run an article on a controversial quality related subject.
Let's hope Gabe doesn't pull any punches or spin this... BMW needs to pony up a fix... pure and simple.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Get your dealers to check your cars via bulletin #110207

This bulletin is date January of 2008 and involves the timing chain tensioner piston.

HTH,
Chad

Old 02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Hello Chad,

What is bulletin #110207? Who is the entity that issued this bulletin?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chadtoolio

This bulletin is date January of 2008 and involves the timing chain tensioner piston.

HTH,
Chad
I've heard of several people having the whole timing chain tensioner replaced and the problem was not resolved, is the piston separate

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
Here's a response I wrote to MINI after the Technical Service group brushed me off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jen,

I was hoping that you would bring this up to your
engineering group since this is an issue with the car
itself not the dealers. The dealers are merely
selling the cars that MINI manufactured. The MINI
turbos in Europe are also having the same problem.

Thanks,
Sundevil

--- MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM wrote:

> Hi Sundevil,
>
> Thanks for writing MINI. We are sorry to hear you
> are still having problems with your MINI.
>
> Unfortunately, if the dealer has not been able to
> duplicate your concern, we have no way of
> determining the next steps to take. I would
> recommend speaking with the Service Manger at your
> MINI dealer if you haven't already done so.
> Additionally, you could try setting up an appointed
> to drive the vehicle with a representative from the
> dealer so you can show them the noise you are
> referring to. I hope this information is helpful.
>
> If there are further questions I can assist with,
> please feel free to drop me an e-mail. I would be
> happy to lend a hand.
>
>
> LET'S MOTOR.
> Jen Edgin
> MINI Customer Relations and Services
> Representative
> 866.ASK.MINI (866.275.6464)
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: Sundevil
> Sent: 2/4/2008 12:00:00 AM
> To: mini.assistance@askminiusa.com
> Subject: General customer service
>
> First name: Sundevil
> Last name:
>
> question/comment:
> I have been having some rattling or tapping sound in
> the engine compartment during cold starts duirng
> cold weather (<40F). I brought this issue to the
> dealer but they could not replicate the sound.
>
> This issue has been happening with the Mini turbo
> cars only. The NAM website has been tracking this
> issue from the MINI owners around the country.
> Several dealers that had dealt with this issue could
> not solve it either. A dealer had already replaced
> parts such as cam tensioner and afuel pump, but the
> weird and loud sound persisted.
>
> Do you know or heard about this issue? Please
> advise.
>
> Sundevil
>

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
minicobra1
2nd Gear
Really glad to see that Motoring File will be running something on this

Old 02-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Sundevil
2nd Gear
I sent the link to our thread to J.D. Power and Associates and explained the issue with the 2007 MCS.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:11 PM
msh441
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chadtoolio

HTH,
Chad
Greetings Chad.

Thanks for the input... but I gotta say the timing chain tensioner is NOT a fix for this issue. If you read through the threads... I've had two. They work for a month or two and the problem just returns.

Originally Posted by prb44t
Curious to see if anyone who has had the issue for some time has noticed any change in the sound, volume, or duration of the noise when it occurs.
Yes... for me at least, the frequency, duration and volume all began to increase over time.

Last edited by msh441; 02-06-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Cold start chatter