Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Heat In Driver's Footwell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008 | 06:36 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Update

As promised I went to see my SA today at Vista MINI and got the MINI Service Bulletin number for everyone.

[b]The MINI Service Bulletin number is SI M 64 02 08 which from what I understand is to wrap the bare heater core tubes with insulation.

The part was already ordered for Scrappy and I have an appointment Monday morning to have it installed.Pics of before and after will be taken to show what was done.

Last edited by JCR1960; 08-07-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2008 | 06:43 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
I have an '08 MCCS on order (waiting for a boat/build date Aug 2). Is this something that I should ask to be done to my car before I accept delivery?

Old 08-08-2008 | 02:45 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I could be wrong here, but I think you might not be following what they are saying here. That cover is normal. They fix they are referring to is to heat insulate those heater lines under that cover to keep the cover in your picture from getting hot.
Ok - got it.

Old 08-14-2008 | 05:08 PM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I have the same question as gbsim.. as my Mini is on the boat right now (production completed 8/4) Would this fix have been address at the MINI plant - or should the dealer or VDC be taking care of it?

Old 08-14-2008 | 05:12 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tinker_06
I have the same question as gbsim.. as my Mini is on the boat right now (production completed 8/4) Would this fix have been address at the MINI plant - or should the dealer or VDC be taking care of it?
It's hard to say. The weeping wiper fix bulletin was issued more than a year ago yet some are still coming from the factory without the check valves installed.

Old 08-14-2008 | 05:13 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
The part was already ordered for Scrappy and I have an appointment Monday morning to have it installed.Pics of before and after will be taken to show what was done.
Any update Jim?

Old 08-14-2008 | 06:26 PM
restlessswind
Neutral
I complained too, and they put insulation on the tubes, but it is still hot. The "fix" helped just a little. I am going to put a piece of thermal insulation padding (sticky on one side, foil on the other) on the inner side of the plastic cover. I think that should help too. as well as an extra piece stuck on that outer edge of the core casing.

Old 08-14-2008 | 06:38 PM
restlessswind
Neutral
Originally Posted by picasso30
This may show my little knowledge of cars, but I wonder if outside temp plays a part in this? When my foot well (thingy) heats up, or when it did, It was above 90 degrees outside. It has not gotten hot, even warm, all winter. I am in Atlanta where it gets hotter than ... most places. lol So I'm just curious if the outside temp and driving on the hot asphalt have any influence in the engine and therefore what ever that thing is hanging down from there.

What is that thing, anyway?

Thanks,
Heather
In the winter, while running the heater, the blower cools the heater core by moving the heat into the cabin. During the summer, the heat just sits there and builds up in one spot. That is why it doesn't feel hot in winter. The prior year coopers and most other cars have a shut-off valve that prevents the hot water from circulating in the core. My hypothesis is that the new design is due to the fact that turbo models need the little bit of extra cooling at our feet's expense. And the non-turbo just gets the same design for simplifying production. A heater core is literally a small radiator stuffed under a dashboard and is fitted in almost all vehicles. Also, in the summer, while running the AC, the coolant gets even hotter as the heat inside the car is transferred to the coils(condenser) that sits in front of the radiator. This reduces the cooling efficiency of the radiator a little thus raising the coolant temperature even more. This is why it is good advise to shut off the AC and blast the heater if your car ever overheats.

Last edited by restlessswind; 08-14-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-14-2008 | 06:48 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Any update Jim?
Yes since I have 2 warranty problems now my appointment was postponed Monday morning because the automatic shifter mechanism had to be ordered due to the amber gear icon warning light coming on after I turn off my car (separate thread).The shifter mechanism should be shipped on Monday and arrive towards the end of the week or the following week.When it arrives they will take care of the insulator for the heat problem and the shifter problem at that time.

BTW since this isn't an isolated problem my dealership ordered more insulators to keep in stock.

Old 08-14-2008 | 08:11 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by restlessswind
Also, in the summer, while running the AC, the coolant gets even hotter as the heat inside the car is transferred to the coils(condenser) that sits in front of the radiator. This reduces the cooling efficiency of the radiator a little thus raising the coolant temperature even more. This is why it is good advise to shut off the AC and blast the heater if your car ever overheats.

Are you sure about this? I read on another forum from someone that is using a scangauge II and noticed without the AC the were running up in the higher operating temp (200 degrees) and with the AC on they were getting the lower range (180 degrees). Now this is with the R56 and is said even for most cars that the car turns the fan on say at low power if needed to maintain temp around 200-210, but once the AC comes on, it keeps the fan on all the time at a faster setting to keep up with the demand and maintains a temp of around 180.
Not trying to be rude or anything, just stating other info I have heard.

Oh and for the topic:
Was at my dealer Monday and told them about the service bulletin and the issue and they ordered me some of the insulation along with some other parts

Old 08-14-2008 | 08:23 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
Oh and for the topic:
Was at my dealer Monday and told them about the service bulletin and the issue and they ordered me some of the insulation along with some other parts
Great to hear that

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:31 PM
restlessswind
Neutral
[QUOTE=checkercoop;2424620]Are you sure about this? I read on another forum from someone that is using a scangauge II and noticed without the AC the were running up in the higher operating temp (200 degrees) and with the AC on they were getting the lower range (180 degrees). Now this is with the R56 and is said even for most cars that the car turns the fan on say at low power if needed to maintain temp around 200-210, but once the AC comes on, it keeps the fan on all the time at a faster setting to keep up with the demand and maintains a temp of around 180.
Not trying to be rude or anything, just stating other info I have heard.

That would depend on the tempature of the air...if it's cool inside the car, not much heat is being exchanged, but the auxillary fan will continue to run with the AC on, cooling the radiator.

Old 08-26-2008 | 06:32 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Update

Yesterday I dropped off Scrappy to have the automatic shifter assembly replaced and the heater core insulation installed under warranty.

I received a call and email from my SA before noon today that Scrappy was finished and ready to be picked up.

Everything went very well and the part number on my invoice for the insulation for the heater core is 9964-11-3-453-594.My SA said the installation of the heater core insulation went fairly quickly.I won't know if it worked until I drive Scrappy for long periods of time which is when the heat buildup in the driver footwell occurs.

Unfortunately I am unable to take and post pics of it due to the lousy weather here but as soon as it clears up I will.

Last edited by JCR1960; 08-26-2008 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2008 | 06:42 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well I just got mine installed today. It seems that there is still some heat down there so this fix wont eliminate it. I'm guess it is just to eliminate the full blunt of the heat. I didn't pay too much attention to it so I will report back when I pay attention to just how much heat is still emitted.

Old 08-28-2008 | 05:43 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
^^You are correct checkercoop that the heat in the driver footwell does still exist.I took a long drive today and sure enough my feet were still feeling a lot of heat on them even after I put the a/c on the footwell position to see if that would help.Nope it didn't.Cold air came out of the footwell vent but the bottom of my feet remained hot.

Honestly I have a feeling that the heat is coming through the firewall from the engine compartment since both my feet get hot on the dead pedal and gas pedal.

I will contact my SA and let him know the heat is still there after the insulation around the heater core was installed.

I will keep everyone updated when I can.

Old 08-28-2008 | 07:54 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Reading these posts makes me realize that I may be going back in time when I get my Clubman this week. I've been driving Suburbans for 25 years now and have had comfortable feet the whole time. But I vividly remember the years of driving my TR-6 and on long trips it would get SO hot by the accelerator pedal. That was of course pre-cruise control and I would try and give my burning right foot a break and use my left on the gas pedal occasionally.

'08 Laser Blue/Silver Clubman S etc etc en route to dealership.....

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:34 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Hmmmm...I wonder if we all were to drive barefoot and rest our feet just under that side panel, where you can actually touch the pipes, burn our feet, and start filing lawsuits, would they find a better fix?
I would never want to do that to MINI, but I do think it is very, VERY irresponsible to run that hot of pipes that close to a passenger. I know it is needed for the heater core and they already have trouble fitting everything into this thing, but that is just dumb. Imagine how bad it would be if that pipe burst/leaked and spewed 200+ degree water/coolant all over the drivers feet.

I am really glad I would never drive barefoot, but what worries me is the people that do and were to rest their foot right in that corner. They could touch those pipes and if they panic it could get stuck and keep burning. Oh well I guess MINI is more lucky that most of us prefer our fancy driving shoes and not much resting on the gas

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:42 PM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Hmmm.. I drive barefoot all of the time. If I'm in flip flops, I kick them off and drive without and when I'm in heels, I usually go barefoot for the drive. Hope I don't have to buy a set of heatshield socks for the new Clubman!

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:48 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gbsim
Hmmm.. I drive barefoot all of the time. If I'm in flip flops, I kick them off and drive without and when I'm in heels, I usually go barefoot for the drive. Hope I don't have to buy a set of heatshield socks for the new Clubman!
Yeah just be careful don't let your foot slip too far right by the plastic panel on the side of the driver footwell

Old 08-29-2008 | 07:15 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Your Mini may not even have the problem. Not everyone has the super hot, burn the heck out of your feet, temps there. This area on my Mini never gets hot enough to burn anything. It gets warm, but not even close to hot.

Old 08-29-2008 | 08:27 AM
gbsim
3rd Gear
Your Mini may not even have the problem. Not everyone has the super hot, burn the heck out of your feet, temps there. This area on my Mini never gets hot enough to burn anything. It gets warm, but not even close to hot.
Does there seem to be any correlation between S/nonS/JCW and the heat problem? I wonder if cars with the heat in the footwell also have the melting hoodscoop too?

'08 Laser Blue/Silver Clubman S etc etc .... scheduled for pickup from dealership tomorrow

Old 08-29-2008 | 01:22 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Does there seem to be any correlation between S/nonS/JCW and the heat problem? I wonder if cars with the heat in the footwell also have the melting hoodscoop too?

'08 Laser Blue/Silver Clubman S etc etc .... scheduled for pickup from dealership tomorrow
No idea.

My car doesn't have the hood scoop problem either...so far.

Old 08-29-2008 | 02:06 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
My MCa shows no sign of any heat in this area.

Would expect there to be a valve in climate control to prevent coolant circulation unless heater operation is called for.

Could this (failure of that valve) be the reason for so many complaints about poor Air Conditioning performance?

Old 08-29-2008 | 02:07 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
In my 2006 bone stock Cooper I have not noticed this problem, but I nevertheless found the thread interesting, to the point of wanting to comment.

1. Self-help may be the better way to go on this, especially since the official MINI fix may not cure the problem. What one member said was the best idea, IMHO. Go to the hardware store or Home Depot, get some insulation that has reflective metal surface on one side, then attach it to the foot well/console cover with the reflective side facing the "radiator."

Also use a strip to wrap around the two pipes. This would reduce or insulate the generated heat.

2. On the post where a member says he drives barefoot, be careful. Here in California it's a moving violation [counts against one's record] to drive barefoot.

3. I am curious why BMW engineers designed things this way. Seems to me that even the most newbie of engineers would realize what they had to deal with, where to place a heat generating device. I mean, I don't know squat about engineering and design, but if I was deciding where to put a "hot plate" I would certainly not put it next to someone's leg or foot.

Great thread and posts.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 08-29-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2008 | 02:53 PM
matty125
5th Gear
My big thing is OK we can wrap it, or the dealer can under warranty, But this **** is really dangerous. Can you imagine WHEN these hoses fail? Not only will you have 2nd degree burns...MINimum....but you most propably will wreck you car, possibly killing yourself or someone else. Im not to happy bout this, I discovered this crap while wearing sandals...which I dont usually do to drive, Its illegal in Europe.
For the record mine is an S model, feb 07 production

Quick Reply: Heat In Driver's Footwell?