Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Heat In Driver's Footwell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008 | 04:56 PM
richs10
5th Gear
I've got a June 08 build Clubman S.
No problem like this at all.

Old 08-29-2008 | 05:19 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by matty125
My big thing is OK we can wrap it, or the dealer can under warranty, But this **** is really dangerous. Can you imagine WHEN these hoses fail? Not only will you have 2nd degree burns...MINimum....but you most probably will wreck you car, possibly killing yourself or someone else. I'm not to happy bout this, I discovered this crap while wearing sandals...which I don't usually do to drive, Its illegal in Europe.
For the record mine is an S model, Feb 07 production
Yes, this is a very unsafe condition. It's very easy to imagine someone being killed because of this, under the scenario you describe. I can see one of those pipes bursting and scalding hot water dripping on the driver's bare foot. That would be like getting stung by a bee and one's reaction could be to react violently and losing control of the MINI.

I find it interesting that members in here say that the MINI fix [some insulation covering the pipes] does not work.

Seems to me that BMW better come up with a better fix and also address your bursting pipe example.

Old 08-29-2008 | 06:10 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I happen to be the first one to have this experience at my dealership Vista MINI (could also be the old SA line too) but I have another appointment Tuesday morning at 9:30am to have it "FIXED" again and honestly I am pretty much fed up with the continued problems with my '08 MCSa in only 4 months of ownership and 6000 miles on it where 3000 of those miles were accumulated when driving from Florida to Minnesota and back for my daughter's high school graduation in May.

MINI Division was in contact with me through here not long ago because of the problems I posted about on NAM.

I plan on meeting with the Sales Manager at that time too to see what can be done about working with MINI USA on a putting me in a possible replacement car.

I won't give up on driving a Mini at all since I just love it but hate the problems with my specific car.

Old 09-02-2008 | 05:59 AM
tinker_06
4th Gear
I just picked up my MINI and because of reading this thread, I specifically looked for this issue once I arrived home from my 85 mile trip. Much to my relief - it wasn't at all hot, just very slightly luke-warm.

Old 09-02-2008 | 08:22 AM
Wolfeee
6th Gear
I have some warmth down there too.... of course I only notice it when the AC is not on...and wearing sandals....I will continue to watch it and if it gets unbearable, I will talk to the dealer, which thankfully is 5 minutes from my home

Old 09-02-2008 | 07:12 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Today I showed up for my 9:30am appointment and spoke with my SA that the excessive heats still exists.He also took a temperature reading and it did show a bit warmer compared to the passenger side footwell.He sent an email to the factory rep along with my car history and the email I sent to my SA Friday and when he arrives I am to bring in my MCSa to leave with them so they can do more testing.

The Sales Manager didn't come in until after 1pm so I didn't get to personally talk with him but my SA and my MA will talk with him about the constant problems with my car but ultimately it will be up to MINI USA.

I will keep everyone posted when I can.

Old 09-02-2008 | 07:45 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I have no heat in my MC, at all maybe just the S?

Old 09-02-2008 | 07:52 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
I have no heat in my MC, at all maybe just the S?
No I have a non S and I get the heat. I even had them do the bulletin fix and I still have heat. It sucks because it builds up in there and leaves a nice little pocket of warm air for you gas foot when its 90 degrees outside and u are trying to have the windows open with no AC

Old 09-04-2011 | 01:32 PM
vjsilva1
Neutral
My wife bought a 2007 in Feb 2011. She's been complaining about the hot footwell and I really didn't believe it was that hot because I never verified it. Today I drove it to have the oil changed and it was really hot on the plastic cover. Almost too hot to leave your hand on it.

Has anyone come up with a good solution yet?

By scanning this thread I know that Mini has a retrofit kit, 9964-11-3-453-594. But some owners are not happy with it. The other possibility is using fiberglass insulation with foil on one side.

--Victor

Old 07-10-2012 | 11:15 AM
tominizer
4th Gear
Just digging this out of the depths of the past. It now seems to be happening on my car. I wonder what's triggering this problem as its never been there before.

Has anyone else had any dealings or updates with this??

Old 07-10-2012 | 12:54 PM
vjsilva1
Neutral
Hotfoot

Originally Posted by tominizer
Just digging this out of the depths of the past. It now seems to be happening on my car. I wonder what's triggering this problem as its never been there before.

Has anyone else had any dealings or updates with this??
Doubtful that it just happened. Maybe you just noticed, or due to the very hot weather your car is running hotter.

The issue is well document and Mini itself acknowledges that the heater pipes are poorly insulated.
Additional hot coolant is always flowing to the heater core not matter what your heat setting is. The amount heat is controlled by flaps and the fan, but the core is always at engine coolant temperature. The fix is to get the insulation from Mini or cobble your own and install it behind the plastic cover near your foot. I just ordered mine, but I haven't picked it up yet. I'll report on it efficacy once installed.

--Victor

Old 07-10-2012 | 08:01 PM
tominizer
4th Gear
Hey Victor,

I hate to disagree, but I've noticed things getting hotter just in the last month or two. Before that, my 2008 Clubman S has not had this issue. So something must have changed or gone wrong on the car. I have a very hard time believing that this has always been this way. Its too noticeable of a problem/discomfort.

I wish this thing had a temp gauge. I have a funny feeling that the engine is running hotter now for some reason. My car is all stock outside of a Forge intercooler that I put on last week. So it isn't that.

In reading the forums, it seems like the Mini OEM fix doesn't work either. I still think something is going on with the motor and the coolant is now running hotter for some reason.

Old 07-11-2012 | 06:03 AM
vjsilva1
Neutral
Originally Posted by tominizer
Hey Victor,

I hate to disagree, but I've noticed things getting hotter just in the last month or two. Before that, my 2008 Clubman S has not had this issue. So something must have changed or gone wrong on the car. I have a very hard time believing that this has always been this way. Its too noticeable of a problem/discomfort.
Could be, but I also did not notice on my wife's car. The first time she told me about it I didn't believe her. Then I noticed one day and it really is uncomfortable. It appears to be more noticeable on a hot day with slow driving around town.

Old 07-14-2012 | 06:54 PM
vjsilva1
Neutral
Originally Posted by vjsilva1
Could be, but I also did not notice on my wife's car. The first time she told me about it I didn't believe her. Then I noticed one day and it really is uncomfortable. It appears to be more noticeable on a hot day with slow driving around town.
I had to pre-pay for the kit before the dealer would order it since kit 64-11-3-453-954 was out of stock at the dealer in Hartford, CT.

I paid almost $35 for it and once it came do I feel like a sucker. It's a bag with three tie-wraps and about 8 inches of foam tubing that is slit. It looks to me like $1 or $2 in parts. Don't get this! The length of tubing provided is not even enough to cover both heater tubes.

I'm going to home depot and look for some kind of aluminized insulator and use that.

--Victor

Old 09-03-2013 | 11:26 PM
Mywifesmini2
Neutral
Bumping this in order to hear update.
Searches yielded minimal news