Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Suspension System

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 05:52 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was able to test drive the MC last week, though it only had the sport suspension. Is there a noticeable difference with the standard suspension? I'm (craving) wanting the MC 5-speed with standard 15" wheels. Anyone? :smile:

Old 08-29-2002, 06:38 AM
roser
Neutral
Hi Scoobs

Simply go and drive the S.
I did after driving the Cooper and there is no competition - it doesn't matter if you can't afford/justify the difference, you will just have it.

Seriously - try it and then decide

Old 08-29-2002, 06:48 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
Roser:
I drove the S as well...absolutely awesome. MY WIFE (therein lies the problem) wanted to know what the S or MC felt like without the sport suspension. MY preference is for the S, but she will be driving it and the S only comes with the stiffer suspension. Have you driven the MC without the sport suspension? Was there a noticeable difference? Thanks

Old 08-29-2002, 06:56 AM
roser
Neutral
Sorry Scoobs - I have not driven one without the sports sus.
The S sus is stiff, but you need it for the handling feel to really work - it's the fun of the car.
Sorry I can't give you more info.

Can't you buy her a big diamond, letting you have the S and 'borrow it a lot'

Old 08-31-2002, 09:16 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
>>Roser:
>>I drove the S as well...absolutely awesome. MY WIFE (therein lies the problem) wanted to know what the S or MC felt like without the sport suspension. MY preference is for the S, but she will be driving it and the S only comes with the stiffer suspension. Have you driven the MC without the sport suspension? Was there a noticeable difference? Thanks

One thing you might try is a second set of wheels (on a MCS). Get the 17" wheels for when you want to drive "quickly", or if you're going to drive up the coast (or some other "fun" place). If it's "her" turn for a while (or you're traveling to an area where the roads are rough), put on a set of 15" or 16" wheels (maybe without the run-flat feature.... have to be careful here)... the "higher" sidewall makes the ride less harsh. You might even be able to talk the dealer into swapping tires (15" ers) for you on an "S", for her to evaluate. When I drove the MCS (with 17" wheels), it didn't really feel that harsh to me (but then again, different folks have different tolerance levels).

Approach #2: your wife may think that because the suspension is LABELED as "sport", that it will not be comfortable to drive. Take her to the dealer, and let HER drive the car (MCS, with 16" or 17" wheels) for an extended test; over all types of roads. SHE may be happy as a clam with the way the MCS drives!

-DavidG

Old 08-31-2002, 09:31 PM
DavidG
3rd Gear
Scoobs-
I re-read your note, and perhaps I mis-understood. It sounds like the car is going to be your WIFE's car (at least, she is the primary driver?). If so, I'd still get her to TRY the "S"; but if she likes the MC BETTER.... well, she's the one that'll be driving it! And, as countless people on MCO have noted, BOTH cars are a kick to drive. Help her to evaluate both cars objectively, provide all of the information she needs, then let her decide what is the best "fit".

You might help her by highlighting the differences between the two cars (on one of the MINI price lists on the MINIUSA.com site, or the brochure from your dealer, etc), to show her what features/colors/interiors are available ONLY on a MCS, or ONLY on a MC (for example, the tan leather interior is NOT available on a MCS; there are a number of other examples).

Hope this helps!
-DavidG

Old 09-06-2002, 10:30 AM
scoobs
3rd Gear
DavidG and Roser:

Thanks for you input. I (we) have decided on the S. It simply brought a large smile to my face. Wife doesn't really care what we get...said she would drive anything (GREEN light herek!!!!!!!!!). I'm going for the standard 16" wheels, Prem. Pkg., silver with black roof. Like lots of others on this site, I'm thankful for the support and input from others, especially since I have to wait until spring for my S to arrive. :smile: