Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 (2007) Clacking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008 | 05:02 PM
npalao
|
2nd Gear
R56 (2007) Clacking noise

I own a 2007 S, with less than 1500 miles on it. I noticed that about 500 miles ago a clacking noise coming out of the left side of the engine compartment appeared when driving through rough roads, bumpy roads, etc. My dealreship has already changed left suspension and steering, steering column, steering aid box and now the gearbox and differential. The noise has not gone away, and the mini experts are telling me, after 6 weeks in the shop, that the noise is apparently normal! Which to me is BS. They told me that they have already seen a couple more vehicles with the same problem, and have not found any solution to it. Has anyone of you experienced something similar? If so, did you get it repaired? Thanks so much for the help.

Last edited by Sam; 03-18-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: formating
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:32 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
oops..look below

Last edited by ianparcher; 03-19-2008 at 07:39 AM.
Old 03-19-2008 | 07:39 AM
ianparcher
3rd Gear
The only input I can give you is: If they cant find the problem they say its normal. Its happened to me with a few issues so far. This is one of the reasons why this is my last MINI. When I started to hear this knocking sound I learned to live with it fast. Its not worth the dealer telling me to go to another one if I don't like there explanation. Sorry I cant be any better help.

Old 03-19-2008 | 02:59 PM
Joe Lapenta
Neutral
Had the same issue with my 2007 MCSa. Great dealership effort with no results. Actually replaced my transmission on the advice of Mini. Finally called in a "regional engineer" who properly diagnosed it as a transmission mount. Apparently the transmission mount was redesigned after the '07 release and this information is not widely known.

Old 03-19-2008 | 10:49 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
I had the same noise that started at about 500 miles and was getting worse. I noticed that when I went over certain bumps there was a clanking sound coming from the front suspension. Then I noticed that if I hit the same bump while stepping on the brakes the sound was gone. I figured it had something to do with the brakes. I took off one of the front tires and noticed the brake pads would slide up and down in the calipers just enough to make a clanking sound. I put some shims on both front brake pads (left and right wheel) to keep them from sliding up and down, put the wheel back on and no more clanking. 1000 miles later and still no clanking! I doubt the dealers will ever figure this out but if it comes back I know where to point them to. Try going over a bump that you know will make the clanking sound and then try it while stepping on the brakes and see what happens.

Old 03-22-2008 | 04:20 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
theres a bulletin for certain models(r56's) that recomends the replacement of the sway bar bushings. the bushings are soft and wear rapidly, therefor letting the swaybar move more than designed making the "clank" noise. the new bushings are harder and have a nylon center.

you can tell if it's the bushings by driving the car and swervin' left to right, so that the weight of the car rocks and you put pressure on the swaybar. you should be able to hear the noise if its them.

good luck!

Old 03-22-2008 | 04:26 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
here it is... and theres another one for the rear.

M31 01 07
Front Axle
December 2007
Technical Service

SUBJECT
Knocking Noise from Front Axle

MODEL
Cooper (R56) produced from 8/06 to 4/07

Cooper S (R56) produced from 8/06 to 4/07

SITUATION
The customer may report a knocking noise from the front axle which occurs when driving over bumps or uneven road surfaces.

CAUSE
Incorrect sway bar bushings fitted for the front sway bar.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, check the front sway bar bushings for a gap between the bushings and the sway bar itself. If any visible gap exists, replace the sway bar bushings.

Last edited by joey1320; 03-22-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2008 | 05:32 PM
ANT818
3rd Gear
Another words, only change them If the customer complains. Let the owners that are not intune with problems (my wife) live with the defective bushings. That a great company we support.

Old 03-24-2008 | 11:18 AM
npalao
|
2nd Gear
noise

They claim to have looked at both swaybars already, along with suspension, steering, steering column, steering assistance box, gearbox and differential. Nothing has solved the problem.

Old 03-24-2008 | 12:25 PM
flaco
4th Gear
In order to be covered by the Illinois Lemon Law, a vehicle must:
  • have a nonconformity that both substantially impairs the use , market value or safety of the vehicle and is not repairable by the dealer or manufacturer in at least four attempts for the same repair, or
  • be out of service for a total of 30 or more business days.

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:25 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npalao
They claim to have looked at both swaybars already, along with suspension, steering, steering column, steering assistance box, gearbox and differential. Nothing has solved the problem.
So was this ever taken care of or did you just learn to live with it?

Old 04-21-2008 | 08:19 AM
npalao
|
2nd Gear
never took care of it

Noise is still there, and I got the car back in such horrible shape it was ridiculous! Couple of dents on the bonnet, scratches all over the inside and engine compartment, screws missing, trims not aligned, awful! I just got back from the dealership moments ago, where I left the car to get all those things repaired!

Old 04-21-2008 | 10:52 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
That's why I hate taking my car in to get serviced, some dealers just don't care. Hope they fix everthing for you!

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:13 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by npalao
Noise is still there, and I got the car back in such horrible shape it was ridiculous! Couple of dents on the bonnet, scratches all over the inside and engine compartment, screws missing, trims not aligned, awful! I just got back from the dealership moments ago, where I left the car to get all those things repaired!
I may have found the problem and a solution... In the picture I've attached, you'll see a part that sits just under and slightly behind the radiator overfill reservoir as you look down from the front of the car. This thing attaches to the gear shifter through a cable and sits on top of the gear box. If you wiggle this part up and down you'll hear the very clanking sound you might be hearing and I was hearing in my car. I attached a 5 inch spring from the hole you can see on this part down to a clamp almost directly below this part. You want the spring to just have enough tension to keep this part from clanking around but not too much tension or it might make your shifting difficult. My clanking is gone at a last and my shifter feels more solid and not so wiggly!!! This should be service bulletin or something, some dealerships are changing all sorts of parts and not fixing the problem. Try it and see if it works for you, it's worth a try and it worked for me.

Attached Thumbnails R56 (2007) Clacking noise-drive-box-1.jpg  
Old 05-06-2008 | 07:19 AM
npalao
|
2nd Gear
noise

Thanks. I believe that was one of the first things they checked. believe it or not, the car is going back one again to get all the details worked out, for the third time. I will bring your picture and description along so they can check again. Thanks.

Old 06-07-2008 | 05:35 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Well my problem was still there so I took it in to the dealership again. The first time they said they adjusted the hood and fixed it. I wasn't even 20 feet from the dealership and had the same problem. I should have turned back but I was so happy to have my Mini back I didn't. Today, about a month later I dropped it off again because that sound is driving me crazy. My car is perfect, but that one sound ruins everything and it pisses me off every time I hear it. So let's all keep our fingers crossed that they can find the problem. The technician didn't sound too confident... I wished them luck as I left...

Old 06-09-2008 | 05:19 PM
g.wong9
1st Gear
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck in resolving this issue with the dealership.

I took my 2007 R56 in 2 months ago for the same problem and was told they were aware of the noise but could not identify where it is coming from and therefore no fix is available. Apparently this is a widespread problem and Mini is accumulating complaints about this and working on a fix.

Old 06-09-2008 | 08:08 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Well I got a call from the service dept this afternoon, they had worked on my car all day and even had the service manager riding in the car and listening to the noise too. They also drove another 07 and an 08 MCS and verified they don't make the noise. One other important fact they noticed is that if you're in neutral or have the clutch engaged while going over the same noise producing bump, the noise is not there. They sent an engineering request to some engineers in the East Coast for some help with the matter and should get a response tomorrow. I'm guessing they'll have them replace or check the inside of the gearbox since the noise only happens while in gear. The service dept has been great keeping me informed and working this issue, hopefully we'll have a fix soon!

Old 06-10-2008 | 09:46 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
It's good to see they are progressing towards a solution! Nice your dealer is willing to do what it takes.

Old 06-11-2008 | 08:09 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
They still have my Mini (day 4) and I got a call today, they created a PUMA and the engineers wanted them to take oil samples from the transmission and check for metal shavings; the oil looked great, no metal shavings. They also wanted some pictures of the oil that was drained. I thought that was a strange request... They sent the pictures and now we wait for a response. IMO, I think it has something to do with the clutch, flywheel, associated hardware and linkage but all we can do is wait for the experts to decide the next step...

Last edited by Benibiker; 06-11-2008 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-12-2008 | 07:49 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
It's good to see they are progressing towards a solution! Nice your dealer is willing to do what it takes.
I agree, my service dept is really digging into this one to find a fix, I'm very pleased with them . During today's update, they told me they had gotten the go ahead from Mini engineering to tear down my transmission. They'll be inspecting, repairing and replacing parts as they go. As a precaution they ordered a new clutch, flywheel, clutch release fork, left torque rod and other parts that they suspect may be causing the problem. The parts arrive tomorrow evening or Monday morning and then they'll start the removal and tear down process. I think they're in the right area that's causing the knocking noise... We're getting closer, standby for more...

Old 06-12-2008 | 10:10 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
That sounds like great news! Keep us posted.

Old 06-16-2008 | 08:18 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Well my transmission will be removed tonight (my service dept has a night shift) and they'll go from there, see what they find and replace parts as needed. 8 days and counting, I miss my Mini...

Old 06-17-2008 | 09:55 AM
Krieg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Benibiker
I may have found the problem and a solution... In the picture I've attached, you'll see a part that sits just under and slightly behind the radiator overfill reservoir as you look down from the front of the car. This thing attaches to the gear shifter through a cable and sits on top of the gear box. If you wiggle this part up and down you'll hear the very clanking sound you might be hearing and I was hearing in my car. I attached a 5 inch spring from the hole you can see on this part down to a clamp almost directly below this part. You want the spring to just have enough tension to keep this part from clanking around but not too much tension or it might make your shifting difficult. My clanking is gone at a last and my shifter feels more solid and not so wiggly!!! This should be service bulletin or something, some dealerships are changing all sorts of parts and not fixing the problem. Try it and see if it works for you, it's worth a try and it worked for me.
I think this is my noise! It looks like it might be associated with the hill assist mechanism. I got my son to wiggle it while I sat in the car and it sounds just like the noise I'm hearing.

Old 06-17-2008 | 08:10 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Day 9

Originally Posted by Krieg
I think this is my noise! It looks like it might be associated with the hill assist mechanism. I got my son to wiggle it while I sat in the car and it sounds just like the noise I'm hearing.
I'm pretty sure that's my problem too and that's why I was so glad my service department was focusing on that area.

My transmission was supposed to be removed yesterday but they realized the clutch release fork didn't come in. This was one of the parts the engineers suggested ordering bofore tearing into the transmission. Of course the part isn't here in Hawaii or mainland US; it has to come from Germany and it could take several weeks! I'm starting to feel a hint of remorse for buying a Mini and hopefully it will be quickly erased when I finally get my Mini back FIXED and in the same great shape I dropped it off in. I wonder if it wouldn't have been quicker to just replace the whole transmission and be done with it!

Quick Reply: R56 (2007) Clacking noise