Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CVT reinitialized? Shuddering when stopping

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:37 AM
sanderto81
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT reinitialized? Shuddering when stopping

I know this topic's probably been done to death, but here goes...

I have an 04 MC with CVT and 55k. Last week, I had the oil cooler replaced due to a crack/leak and had all my transmission fluid replaced. Since then, when I come to a quick stop, the rpm stays high (~1500) then suddenly drops to around 500, almost stalling. After a second, everything equilibrates at 1000rpm again. This whole process causes the whole car to shudder and jerk whenever I come to a fast stop. This happens in D, SD, and steptronic.

I took it in to Mini again, who said they couldn't find anything wrong. They "reinitialized" my CVT, which apparently reprograms the system in some way (beyond my expertise). I've read so much about CVT issues and old software on these boards, so I asked about the possibility of an update or software/electronic problem. I was told to just drive it about 500 miles so that the car got used to my driving patterns and hopefully the problem will go away.

So far, no change after a hundred miles. Still the same stuttering and shuddering at stops. My question is this: does the CVT actually adjust on the fly like this? Can it really "get used to my driving habits?" I could see if this were the case with steptronic mode, but standard D?

It's not like my transmission died (knock on wood), but it's still really annoying. I can bet the used CVT Minis that they're selling at the dealer don't have this problem - it'd freak people out! I'm heading back to the dealer next week if there's no change, but just wanted to throw it out there.

Any input it greatly appreciated...thanks!
Todd

Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i bought my MINI cvt used. it used to have a little shudder when i got it and i learned how to reset the ECU so it would "learn" my driving habits. seemd like it really smoothed out after a little while.

but that said i have never had idle issues. don't know, but, i do hate MINI dealer's service and something needs to be done about alot of them. are you warrantied? if not, i would recommend finding a recommended independent MINI mechanic in your area. look here on NAM in the regional forums and if you don't find one in your area, ask. here in socal we have quite a few and from what i have found, they actually care because normally they are enthusiasts. AND they are generally about 1/2 the cost of the dealers with MUCH higher a quality of service. you could at least go to one and get a better idea. MINI service just doesn't seem to care. i still haven't figured out why they don't though.

even if you are warrantied, most warranties will allow you to use any mechanic as long as they are a licensed facility.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:29 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
i bought my MINI cvt used. it used to have a little shudder when i got it and i learned how to reset the ECU so it would "learn" my driving habits. seemd like it really smoothed out after a little while.

i believe what you are describing and what he is talking about are 2 completely different things.

from what i gather it seems like the shop did a cvt reinitialization, which clears out the memory ont he cvt control module and then you have to drive it up to 50mph and coast to a stop, in which time it learns all the "shifting" patterns.

now what you are talking about is just a dme/ecu reset which is done by disconnecting the battery, i'm i right?

either way, i'll take the car back to the shop and have them double check their work. make sure they put the right kind/amount of fluid in the trans. and have them redo the initialization. it doesn't take 500 miles to relearn the "shift" patterns on a cvt, it takes a drive up to 50mph back to 0mph, for it to go.

good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 11:44 AM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
i accessed the software via the key in position one and the speedometer and did a reset. the instructions are online somewhere. guess it's not the same as a real CVT initialization but, seemed to help me out. maybe in my mind only though .

Old 03-22-2008, 12:40 PM
sanderto81
Neutral
Thanks for the input! It sounds like what they did at the dealer was similar to what you said joey, in terms of resetting the shift speeds. I'm just out of warrantyand I just found a mecahnic in my city in new england...nice.

Oh, and when I shift into neutral and come to a fast stop, no problem whatsoever. Hopefully this is just a software issue and I'll post a success story in a few days...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
great news on the mechanic! should be nicer than the dealership although if you paid the dealer to fix the issue i would raise a little cain.

if you plan on keeping the MINI much longer (as i do but, i still am at 37k miles) you may look into a warranty from someone like warranty direct. they offer a payment option. i got it just for the peace of mind (different warranty company due to california police state laws though). $7000 cvt is a daunting repair.

i paid i think $1400 for my extended warranty which i guess some will say is a waste but, in my case, my soon to be replaced PS pump will pay for almost 1/2 of the warranty cost. it started to leak right after the warranty kicked in. then the CVT peace of mind thing...

Old 03-22-2008, 12:53 PM
guidmini
3rd Gear
Whity doing a instrument cluster reset. It takes special equipment to reset
the CVT and a learning in process. Sander who refilled your CVT trans
there is a special procedure after filling it you need to check the fluid as the car is running before it starts warming up. If it does not go back into redaptation,well first of all did you loose alot of Fluid. And you can't just put
any old fluid in it. I am sure you are aware of this,? are you. If the fluid level is good. and as you said on decel was it, the rpms flare or spike up then resume. You might want to have the Dealer install a new Trans control module it cheaper than and trans. But you have!!! to make sure the fluid level is correct.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:07 PM
sanderto81
Neutral
thanks whitey, i'll look into the warranty info. and i'll stay on the dealer until this gets fixed, esp. considering they did the original repair.

guid, I had it towed to the dealer as soon as I noticed it wasn't shifting...didn't want to burn out the transmission if it was losing fluid. judging from the pavement, it lost a lot, but Mini did all of the refilling and repair. i'll definietly ask them to make sure the fluid's been correctly filled, etc. thanks!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM
joey1320
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson
i accessed the software via the key in position one and the speedometer and did a reset. the instructions are online somewhere. guess it's not the same as a real CVT initialization but, seemed to help me out. maybe in my mind only though .

yeah for the "true" cvt setup there will be an "x" next to the shift gear selector on the speedo. and the trans will only have one "gear" until you go up to 50mph blah blah blah...

glad that it worked out for you.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:33 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
oh yeah the x in the speedo thing now i remember. my MINI mechanic did the relearn for me. i remember he was in the car, put it in P-D-R-D-R or something back and forth and then took off down the street. when he came back the x was gone.

he has all the software and the "laptop" at his shop.

so waht the heck does the ECU reset do then?