Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

R56 Spontaneous Sunroof Explosion

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:40 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsientong
altho i love my sunroof, this is not something i want to experience again, so i'd rather just have it removed completely if given the choice....
It's a very rare event... To happen to you more than once would be extremely improbable, unless there's something about your specific Mini which was the catalyst for the original failure.

Go for a drive and enjoy your sunroof. Be thankful there are lots of other things which are more likely to fail in your Mini!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:33 PM
russr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark me down as another victim of the exploding sunroof.
I'm waiting for them to get back to me with a diagnosis later today, but in the meantime they've waived the diagnostic fee and given me a loaner. The techs all said they've never seen this issue, but I will refer to this, and other similar threads on NAM to prove that this is not exactly an isolated issue.
This is downright scary, I wonder what caused it given that you were just sitting there driving and that too with the A/C on. It'll be interesting to see if they cover it and what they say for the reason for it.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
My neighbors brand new 2010 7er did exactly the same under pretty much the same circumstances. The local BMW dealer initially denied it as an warranty item, but quickly changed his tune once threatened with a lawsuit.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:04 AM
tsientong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ceoengr
The local BMW dealer initially denied it as an warranty item, but quickly changed his tune once threatened with a lawsuit.
sad that it takes these types of measures to get some decent customer service these days....

Old 03-24-2010, 05:38 AM
smpeck
3rd Gear
A member on the 1addicts forum had this happen to the moonroof on their new 1-series.

(So glad my MINI doesn't have a sunroof. Between all the rattle problems and everything else...)

Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 PM
tsientong
2nd Gear
update on my sunroof:
the dealership DID cover it under warranty, but i lost the tint that was on there as a result, so daytime driving has now become unbearable in the CA sun.....

does anyone know if there's a pre-tinted tempered glass replacement solution to the standard sunroof? i'd really like to install that instead of tinting it again.

the good thing about tinting the sunroof is that if/when it shatters, the tint is what keeps the glass from falling on the passengers, but it's also the reason why it shatters (from what i've gathered).

what to do, what to do?

Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM
th3118
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 PM
vereinmann
2nd Gear
the good thing about tinting the sunroof is that if/when it shatters, the tint is what keeps the glass from falling on the passengers, but it's also the reason why it shatters (from what i've gathered).
Great! I just had mine tinted...

Old 04-20-2010, 08:11 AM
ottonero
Neutral
Do Coopers attract meteorites?

Driving 70MPH on a 2 lane highway, no cars in sight, clear weather; my front sunroof spontaneously exploded. Windows up, sunroof closed, AC set to 74, outside temp was about 71.

The glass was pointed outward as if it exploded from the inside.

Momentum Mini's service manager, Andrew, wasn't very interested in my story. Apparently he found "no stress fractures" in the glass so it's not considered a defect. How could he find a stress fracture? It's completely shattered! Anyway, Momentum won't pay; had to file an insurance claim totaling $1130.00.

Attached Thumbnails R56 Spontaneous Sunroof Explosion-sunroof.jpg  

Last edited by ottonero; 04-20-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: upload pic
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM
tsientong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by th3118
thank you for that! the price looks good too, but i was concerned with how it looks inside the car.....wish they had other colors available, or just one withOUT the logo....

if i'm not mistaken, it appears that the sunroof will explode WITH AND/OR WITHOUT tint, so wouldn't it be safer to tint it so that if/when it explodes, it won't fall all over our faces?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:22 PM
tsientong
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ottonero
Driving 70MPH on a 2 lane highway, no cars in sight, clear weather; my front sunroof spontaneously exploded. Windows up, sunroof closed, AC set to 74, outside temp was about 71.

The glass was pointed outward as if it exploded from the inside.

Momentum Mini's service manager, Andrew, wasn't very interested in my story. Apparently he found "no stress fractures" in the glass so it's not considered a defect. How could he find a stress fracture? It's completely shattered! Anyway, Momentum won't pay; had to file an insurance claim totaling $1130.00.

was your sunroof tinted?
also, you should use the examples of other "victims" of the exploding sunroof as proof that there were no stress fractures in all of these cases.

mine was covered under warranty by SOUTH BAY MINI in Torrance, CA.

good luck.