Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:12 PM
omascow
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel pump fuse keeps blowing!

Has anybody have had their fuel pump fuse burn out on them? I am on my second one in less than a week and I was wondering if this is a precursor to my fuel pump failing or if this is a result of some other problem. I know that diagnosing electrical problems can be costly so I want to know if anyone else has had this problem before I take it to the dealer. As a side note, the dealer replace my power steering pump 2 weeks ago, could they have pinched a wire somewhere to cause the fuse to blow? Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 04-03-2008, 06:16 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by omascow
Has anybody have had their fuel pump fuse burn out on them? I am on my second one in less than a week and I was wondering if this is a precursor to my fuel pump failing or if this is a result of some other problem. I know that diagnosing electrical problems can be costly so I want to know if anyone else has had this problem before I take it to the dealer. As a side note, the dealer replace my power steering pump 2 weeks ago, could they have pinched a wire somewhere to cause the fuse to blow? Any help is greatly appreciated
I would check the metal "Shield" above the starter. We accidently sparked that on the starter and that blew out a few fuses. Good luck .

Old 04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
omascow
3rd Gear
I don't know if it would be that because the fuse has blown when the car is running, the first time I was taking off from a light and the second time I was idling in traffic. It's like at random times it goes out.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
The fuse kept blowing so I finally took it to the dealer to fix. They couldn't replicate the problem for about 5 days. Then the SA told me that they think it might be the fuel sending unit that is faulty but they still want to test it. 8 days goes by they give me a call telling e that they ordered a new fuel pump and are going to replace it. Turned out that the fuel pump was pulling too many amps and thus causing the fuse to blow. So if anyone else has this problem take a look at how many amps the fuel pump is pulling, and maybe you can save yourself some repair time.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:11 PM
donjulio
4th Gear
My fuel pump fuse blew twice when I turned the ignition key. So I went to autozone and purchased some 20a's and 25a's. I plugged in 25a's to see if it keeps blowing. It didn't, so i took that out, and replaced it with the 20a and it stops blowing... wtf?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Yo'sDad
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It certainly is a sad statement that the dealer took 8 days to determine the pump was pulling too many amps. Should have been one of the first things to check and done in about 15 min. Can no one do plain old seat of the pants diagnostics anymore?

YD

Old 05-25-2009, 06:40 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New techs are too reliant on the scan tool.

If the fuse keeps blowing, stop putting new ones in till you pinpoint the problem. There is a reason they are blowing, and if you keep blowing them, you are likely to do more damage or start a fire.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
ecurbmik
Neutral
Originally Posted by omascow
The fuse kept blowing so I finally took it to the dealer to fix. They couldn't replicate the problem for about 5 days. Then the SA told me that they think it might be the fuel sending unit that is faulty but they still want to test it. 8 days goes by they give me a call telling e that they ordered a new fuel pump and are going to replace it. Turned out that the fuel pump was pulling too many amps and thus causing the fuse to blow. So if anyone else has this problem take a look at how many amps the fuel pump is pulling, and maybe you can save yourself some repair time.

I WAS WONDERING IF THE FUEL PUMP TOOK CARE OF YOUR PROBLEM? / My 05 Cooper S has the same problem / fuse for fuel pump blew. No problem found after that.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:57 PM
damnitryon
1st Gear
The fuel pump is going bad, the E36's do this. The pump gets old and doesnt spin free anymore, causing more amp draw to turn the pump, blowing the fuse. It's a simple change, and the fuel pump shouldnt cost much, seeing as when I did my 325 it was only about $100~.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:30 PM
ecurbmik
Neutral
Xx

Last edited by ecurbmik; 12-31-2018 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Privacy
Old 07-31-2009, 05:27 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ecurbmik
My 2005 Mini Cooper S 41 000 km's, fuel pump fuse keeps blowing. $365.00 canadian for the fuel pump & two weeks out of Germany. I was just wondering if anyone else had this same problem?

Here's a link about a Mini owner's experience with an inop fuel pump. His advice might help.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:15 AM
damnitryon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by buzzsaw
Here's a link about a Mini owner's experience with an inop fuel pump. His advice might help.
What he said about smacking the bottom of the gas tank works well, if anyone ever has a pump go out, hit the thing like crazy, itll shake the impeller and get it to spin for a bit before it goes out again.

Anyone mechanically inclined can change the fuel pump. You just have to siphon the tank before hand.