Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Glove Box Pops Open. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Mynewt
So, did you do this? And with what? Friction tape maybe? Bubble gum?

I must know.
No tape. No gum. No velco. No bungee cords. No gold-pressed latinum.

The only friction I made use of, as I described, was the friction between the hook and the bar when closed.

I simply adjusted the bar so that there was just enough friction (tightness?) between the hook and bar so that the hook would not "bounce" when I hit a bump, but not so much friction (not so tight) that the hook would not go completely around the bar when closing.

Yea, it might take some trial and error to find that balance point or sweet spot. I did this with the entire glove box assembly removed.

Since doing this a few months ago, my glove box has only popped open once, and that was on a really rough street that was under sewer/water line construction.

Last edited by Walt; 12-14-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 PM
rickyr53
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine pops open after every little bump cause it was once slammed shut and also cause my ride height is low . Im going to give some of that velcro a shot. If that falls through then ooh well...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Holy Crap Walt!!! It worked!!!

I sent my boyfriend the link and he followed word for word. Thank god i was busy with my shoot and didn't have to see my dash in a million pieces!!!

I'm away for a month without Moxie, but will be super pleased to get back in her when I return.

Sidenote....my boyfriend did an awesome job with the aux jack installation. Looks factory. He put it the open slot where the windows and door locks are. Because of the cup holders and how tiny they are, plus the lack of room between those, the switches and the lighter, we were looking for something that would ultimately allow me to plug in the aux cord and charge my iphone all at the same time. We'd been looking forever, but finally found TwinFlex by Griffin. 50 bucks. Done and done. If you need something similar, I highly recommend.

Thank you so much again Walt. Brilliant advice.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rickyr53
Mine pops open after every little bump cause it was once slammed shut and also cause my ride height is low . Im going to give some of that velcro a shot. If that falls through then ooh well...
the velcro is awesome short-term, but if you have the time....walt's instructions for the perm fix, works like a charm.