Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Glove Box Pops Open. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 09:28 PM
Red
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started popping open on hard bumps at 2400 miles, when I realized it never really did "latch" since it was delivered. Friction was holding it closed. Try pulling on the edge of yours to see if yours is like that, or if it is firmly latched.

Loosened the two 7mm bolts and moved the bar back and forth, but try as I might, can't get it to latch. Do I need to add shims under the bar, or just call the dealer?

Seems ridiculous to schedule an appointment for an adjustment I can't seem to make.

While we are at the glove box, isn't it fun ejecting the neatly placed quarters into the box every time you close the door? (I have to get out more often. :smile: )

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Red

Old 08-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I keep my change in the ashtray

...and speaking of glove box, I never did look into it. I only had mine pop open a few times over VERY big bumps (my crash being one of those times). It was kinda fun seeing everything in my glove box eject out and spread all over my car during the crash. It took me, seriously, 20 minutes to find my digital camera in my post-destroy stupor.

Try the shim thing Red, see how it goes.

Old 08-02-2003, 09:40 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
I just posted for help on this same issue just a week ago. It seems that my glove box latch isn't holding properly. I don't want to stop by the dealership any time soon unless I really have to.

I fixed it by applying felt adhesive pad over the knotch of the enclosure, (inside the glove box-put your finder underneath to find it) not the latch itself. Then when closing the glovebox, I would press firmly against the chrome-like opener outside of the glove box. I hope this makes some sense. :smile:

Old 08-02-2003, 09:48 PM
Red
6th Gear
>>I keep my change in the ashtray :smile:

Regards,
Red

Old 08-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Red
6th Gear
>>I just posted for help on this same issue just a week ago. It seems that my glove box latch isn't holding properly. I don't want to stop by the dealership any time soon unless I really have to.
>>
>>I fixed it by applying felt adhesive pad over the knotch of the enclosure, (inside the glove box-put your finder underneath to find it) not the latch itself. Then when closing the glovebox, I would press firmly against the chrome-like opener outside of the glove box. I hope this makes some sense. :smile:

OK Pooky, I am going to look for the "notch" you describe. But is your "fix" a friction one, or a true latch?

Searched but found nothing on this subject other than your post on MINI Talk. Guess it is a very uncommon problem.

Regards,
Red

Old 08-02-2003, 10:01 PM
pooky13
4th Gear
>>OK Pooky, I am going to look for the "notch" you describe. But is your "fix" a friction one, or a true latch?
>>
>>Searched but found nothing on this subject other than your post on MINI Talk. Guess it is a very uncommon problem.
>>
>>Regards,
>>Red
>>

Hi Red,

Mine problem is definitely a "true latch" issue. I can open the glove box without using the chrome-like handle. That's bad! So for a quick temporary fix, I would opt for the adhesive (use 3M better adhesive) felt backing where the latch and notch meets. I believe putting the felt over the "latch or notch" will work either way.

Let us know how it works out, good luck.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:12 PM
rfibanez
Banned
Only time my glove box popped open in my mini was when I was doing donuts around a light pole...after about the 5th donut everything in the glove box was on the ground. Other then that it has never popped open.

Old 08-04-2003, 11:15 AM
Red
6th Gear
>>Only time my glove box popped open in my mini was when I was doing donuts around a light pole...after about the 5th donut everything in the glove box was on the ground. Other then that it has never popped open.

I guess it would be hard to relay that story to your service advisor!

Regards,
Red

Old 08-04-2003, 11:20 AM
CraigRasmussen
3rd Gear
I find that if I take the cans out of the plastic thing they stack better while getting cold. This also seems to allow the latch to stay latched.

Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 AM
MINIJC
2nd Gear
Hey guys...

I also had the problem of having my glove box open when I drove through bumps... I didn't keep anything heavy inside, and what at the beginning seemed like a small problem ended up becoming annoying... Therefore I took it to the dealer and the said that the latch that kept it closed was loose and they ordered a new one for me... A week later, once the new glove box arrived, my local MINI service department installed it and never had the same problem happen again...

Good luck!

Juan

Old 08-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Newkevin
2nd Gear
Ahh, it's the little things......
So, it appears that the glove box demon has reared it's ugly head. And I'm not even going over bumps to make it open, jus' motoring around. After a little investigation and a visit here, I have a temp fix. It does appear that the latch is either loose or just has a really whimpy spring holding the box closed.
I took about 5 or 6 small pieces of thin foam rubber, cut to just slighty larger than the slot that the latch sits it and shoved them in behind it and held it all in with a small piece of black tape. That seems to provide the needed tension to keep the box closed, that is until I get to the dealer to replace it.

Motor on!! :smile:

Old 08-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Guys, it's really silly to be doing this end run around the problem with temporary fixes. Call your Service Advisor and make sure that they have a glove box in stock and then go get a new one installed. It's covered under warranty, and it's a fairly common problem. I know that for many of us, it's a long drive to the dealer, but non-latching gloveboxes stink. Go get a new one. It's the only way to go!

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Red
6th Gear
I agree. It's a new car. They should fix it!

My dealer adjusted the latch today so it works, but said he was ordering another one to make sure, and to make sure I was happy.

See "Fan Diode" post.

Regards,
Red

Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 PM
minikikas
1st Gear
Glove Box pops open - Easy Fix

Fixed mine for good. Had the same prob.

Step 1. Drill 2 little holes, about 1 or 2mm in the male section of the latch (the part attached to the lid). The holes should be drilled horizontal to the door whenopen. In other words, keep your drilling machine as close as you can to the door. I held a little piece of sheet metal on to the door so I could rest the rotating chuck of the drilling machine on the lid and not damage it.
Step 2. Use self tapping screws, the smallest you can fine, I used 2mm screws and simply screw them in all the way. Belive me you wont notice the screw heads when you open the glove box.

The problem with the non-latching is that the male part of the latch is not long enough to be effective. Some guys have this problem too.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
savilrg
1st Gear
minikakis

Thanks, I'll try it - mine seems to be seasonal or something, but is currently a real pain

Bob

Old 02-19-2010, 09:46 AM
nein51
1st Gear
Same problem here, it is enough to drive you fing mad. So, you can drill the two plastic rivets out and move the entire catch forward then secure it with self tappers?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 AM
chris.j.lamb
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
If you take the whole glovebox assy out of the car, you can adjust the latch striker bar by untightening the 2 nuts and moving it and then retighten the nuts.

Last edited by chris.j.lamb; 02-19-2010 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2010, 10:55 AM
nein51
1st Gear
Thanks, soon as I am feeling better I will pull it out. From the inside the catch appears to be riveted on with plastic rivets. Never dawned on me they would be nutted from the inside.

Sure is an annoying fault, wonder if it is why the PO traded it in.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM
savilrg
1st Gear
How do you get the whole assembly out?

Old 12-09-2010, 09:16 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Scotch To The Rescue (and no...i don't mean the liquor)

Hey Peeps,

So...for those rides that are out of warranty, but still need a fix to keep the infuriating box closed (and maybe more importantly, still useable)...my bf and I may have found the answer.

I'd like to thank the fine people at Scotch for making the "Reclosable Fasteners- Dual Lock".
Glove Box Pops Open.  Any tips?-pace3-3391561reg.jpg

This is not your Mother's velcro, but rather a sturdy piece of brilliance that sticks, but can be removed and can be 'fastened', but unfastened without losing effectiveness.

Now...I don't go tearing open the glove box daily, but I suspect most people don't anyway. I've opened, closed, opened, closed....My final say on this product:

Bump tested, Mini Approved

Beep Beep!

Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Walt
5th Gear
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Red
Loosened the two 7mm bolts and moved the bar back and forth, but try as I might, can't get it to latch. Do I need to add shims under the bar, or just call the dealer?
I just got an '03 about 2 months ago. Yea, the glove box doesn't key lock.

As to it popping open, I was able to greatly improve mine (has only popped open once since I did this).

Remove the glove box and door assembly from the dash. It comes out with just 5 screws. Once out, notice that the latching mechanism is basically a hook on the door and a bar on the top of the box. The bar's exact position is adjustable by loosing its two mounting screws.

At first, I thought the problem was that the hook wasn't wrapping around the bar all the way. So, I figured I could solve this by adjusting the bar all the way forward. Bad idea. It would then pop open if a mouse sneezed within 2 miles.

The correct adjustment is to have just a little friction between the hook and the bar when closed. It seems that the reason it pops open is that the hook bounces and when it bounces, it releases. With just a little friction, that friction keeps the hook from bouncing whenever you hit a bump.

BTW, you can play with adjusting the bar with the entire assembly removed form the car.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Moxie D
1st Gear
Oooh! Thanks Walt!

My bf is possibly going to install an aux cable this weekend, so i can play music from my iphone, so maybe while he's at it....

Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
I have an 06 MCS with a broken latch. Dealer wants $300 to replace the entire glove box. I bought a $2 small bungee cord and have the thing rigged shut from the inside (no cord showing). Works great!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 03:05 PM
ufomini
4th Gear
If I want to spend $300 on my car it will not be on another glove box that will probably break again. Sprint Booster, Roof Graphic, M7 Grills, Redline leather shift boot, pulley, oil catch can, etc. etc. etc. etc........

Old 12-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Mynewt
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Walt
The correct adjustment is to have just a little friction between the hook and the bar when closed.
So, did you do this? And with what? Friction tape maybe? Bubble gum?

I must know.

Quick Reply: Glove Box Pops Open. Any tips?