Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Cooper won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2002, 04:52 PM
jmezera
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My MINI Cooper was finally delivered to the dealer yesterday afternoon and driven a few miles. The car was ready for me to pickup today but after they filled the tank with gas, they could not get it started. The engine turns over but absolutely no sign of ignition. The dealer said he had another car that, after filling it with gas, wouldn't start but couldn't remember what they did to fix it. The techs are gone until Tuesday.

Has anybody had this same problem? If so, what was required to get the car started?

Joe

Old 08-31-2002, 07:48 PM
vincent722
2nd Gear
Check the gas cap it's not locked down.

Vincent

Old 09-01-2002, 07:28 AM
jmezera
1st Gear
That's exactly what I had been thinking but it seemed too simple. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know what happens.

Joe
:smile:

Old 09-01-2002, 12:33 PM
jmezera
1st Gear
>>Check the gas cap it's not locked down.
>>
>>Vincent
The gas cap was tight. I even took it off and locked it down real tight. Still no ignition.

Any other ideas on how filling the tank could cause the car not to start? Or is it something else totally unrelated and just a big coincidence?

Joe
:???:

Old 09-01-2002, 12:44 PM
Shaguar1
1st Gear
Be sure that the shifter is in an approiate location, move it around some... there is a switch that may allow it to turn over but not fire..???? Or once I saw a bad Ignition switch on a honda that you had to hold some pressure on or the car would stall... Long shots but worth a try for a weekend of Mororing!!!

Old 09-01-2002, 09:05 PM
vincent722
2nd Gear
The thing that troubles me is the car started and ran before the tank was filled. On thinking about the gas cap I now remember that if it's off you will get a check engine light. Here is a question - could over filling the tank cause a shut down problem. Another question did the car fail to start at the pump or was it driven back to the show room and then failed. As stated before the clutch needs to be fully depressed before the engine will turn over - it could be just a failure of that switch. Sorry your having so much trouble and on a long weekend. After your first five miles this problem will fade from your mind and MINI fever will take over.

Vincent

Old 09-02-2002, 08:25 AM
jmezera
1st Gear
>>The thing that troubles me is the car started and ran before the tank was filled. On thinking about the gas cap I now remember that if it's off you will get a check engine light. Here is a question - could over filling the tank cause a shut down problem. Another question did the car fail to start at the pump or was it driven back to the show room and then failed. As stated before the clutch needs to be fully depressed before the engine will turn over - it could be just a failure of that switch. Sorry your having so much trouble and on a long weekend. After your first five miles this problem will fade from your mind and MINI fever will take over.
>>
>>Vincent
The engine failed to start at the pump immediately following fueling it. It never ran after the tank was filled. Might just be some huge coincidence. Don't know about overfilling the tank - I hope not! It happens all the time. The clutch was fully depressed when we tried to start it. I'll know more tomorrow.

Thanks for your reply!

Joe

Old 09-02-2002, 06:28 PM
vincent722
2nd Gear
Can't wait to hear what the solution is/was. The service tech just plug in the computer and 60 seconds later - The Answer.

Keep us informed.

Enjoy your New MINI.

Vincent

Old 09-04-2002, 06:03 PM
jmezera
1st Gear
My chili red MINI Cooper is fixed and in my garage.

The fuel line disconnected from the fuel pump in the fuel tank. The mechanic at MAG in Columbus, OH did an outstanding job fixing it. This MINI dealer has been the best through the entire buying process.

The pump is accessed through a panel under the rear seat. Once he determined there was no fuel pressure at the engine, he knew what to do and did it with precision.

The car runs great.

Joe
:smile: :smile: :smile: