Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Creak! Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:52 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Creak! Anyone else?

OK, I posted this a few months back but nobody responded. My 2006 MC sometimes makes what I can only describe as a single creak or click at take-off or on light decel in second.

Sounds like the sound of a bad CB joint but is is unrelated to turning and it only makes the sound for an instant. Click! Seems like it comes from the driver side front.

Can't hear in with the windows up or AC on so I have no idea how long it has been doing it. Doesn't seem related to the clutch and the car shifts smoothly just like always.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks to all.

Pul

Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the SAME exact thing going on with my 05 MCS. Its going into the dealer this week. My car has been making that sound for close to a year now, but since it never seemed affect the car and wasn't always making the sound (more often than not though ) I have been ignoring it. With the good weather here now and the windows being down more often its becoming annoying I have finally set up an appt to bring it in. I will update as soon as I hear back...

Its going in tuesday..

Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have the same thing but not all the time, makes me think something like a frame/body crack or something. If you jump on the gas in a low gear it clicks and when you lift your foot it clicks again like something is being torked!

I've inspected the underside of the car and the drivetrain but can't find anything.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 PM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Its also on my 05 MCS, same as TurboMini.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by dogdal24
If you jump on the gas in a low gear it clicks and when you lift your foot it clicks again like something is being torked!
Perfect explanation for an annoying problem

Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Yeah, sounds like the same thing. However, I am trying to figure if it is clutch or gearbox related. Sometimes mine will do it on a soft-start and not so much on quicker starts. I have also wondered if it could be a suspension piece or even the brake pads clicking off the rotors as it starts to move cuz it tends to happen more while going up my driveway OR down a driveway. Strange.

My MC has 16,000 miles but again it may have been doing this since it was new. Who knows?

What is the mileage on your cars and has anyone's gotten worse or started to affect the way the clutch or gear box works?

I will bet $5 that the dealer's gonna scratch their head cuz it's inconsistent and not related to an actual issue (like rough shifts, etc.) but I would love to hear what they tell someone else before I make the move to the dealer with mine.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:10 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
My car has about 30k. The clutch was replaced around 27k under warranty (nothing wrong with it but my SA said that there was a bulletin out on it so he just changed it and flywheel) I also had the brakes fully serviced less than 2k miles ago (new pads and rotors, and had no affect on the sounds)

I've had the sound for a long time now, it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I think that it almost certainly something in the front drivers side wheel hub/suspension or driveline because I've had people stand outside the car to listen for the noise and they told me that where it was coming from.

It seems to happen right as the car starts to move (fast or slow) in first and 2nd gear and also when I back off the gas quickly in those same gears. It may be happening in the higher gears too, but I cannot say that I've noticed it. Could be that there are too many other noises at higher speeds

Last edited by TurboMini; 04-26-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:44 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TurboMini
My car has about 30k. The clutch was replaced around 27k under warranty (nothing wrong with it but my SA said that there was a bulletin out on it so he just changed it and flywheel) I also had the brakes fully serviced less than 2k miles ago (new pads and rotors, and had no affect on the sounds)

I've had the sound for a long time now, it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I think that it almost certainly something in the front drivers side wheel hub/suspension or driveline because I've had people stand outside the car to listen for the noise and they told me that where it was coming from.

It seems to happen right as the car starts to move (fast or slow) in first and 2nd gear and also when I back off the gas quickly in those same gears. It may be happening in the higher gears too, but I cannot say that I've noticed it. Could be that there are too many other noises at higher speeds
Interesting that it happens identically in both the 5 and 6 speed Getrags. Of course, this assumes that it was coming from the gear box which now seems unlikely. Has yours gotten worse (louder, more than often) over time?

I hate to have the service guys taking stuff apart on a car that he been perfectly reliable since Day One but I would also hate to sail through the end of the warranty and then have it become a costly problem.

Thanks again!

Old 04-27-2008, 09:16 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
Interesting that it happens identically in both the 5 and 6 speed Getrags. Of course, this assumes that it was coming from the gear box which now seems unlikely. Has yours gotten worse (louder, more than often) over time?

I hate to have the service guys taking stuff apart on a car that he been perfectly reliable since Day One but I would also hate to sail through the end of the warranty and then have it become a costly problem.

Thanks again!
I doubt that it has anything to do with the gear box. I don't think the sound has changed over time. It just kinda showed up one day, and thats how its been since...

My car is supposed to be going into the dealer on tuesday for this, so I'll let them take apart my car first and let you know what happens My car has also been perfectly reliable since day 1, but I'd also like to keep it that way.. Which is why I'd like them to find out whats going, so that it doesn't become a bigger problem later on down the road

Old 05-01-2008, 06:26 AM
TurboMini
4th Gear
The verdict is in! The noise was being cause by a loose axle nut. Everything was covered under warranty and my SA said that it was pretty common problem.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:24 AM
03BRG
4th Gear
Yep That was my guess, I had the same problem/fix you would think they would of had a fix for this as long that this has been reported.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:55 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
Very good news. Did they happen to say that it's important to hurry and have it fixed or is it OK to wait?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:08 PM
tommy_zito
5th Gear
have the same prob on my 05...

Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 PM
TurboMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ToroPerro
Very good news. Did they happen to say that it's important to hurry and have it fixed or is it OK to wait?
He didn't say how important the fix is, but I'm gonna see him again tomorrow and I'll ask..
In my very NON-professional experience, I've had the sound on and off for probably the better part of a year or more w/o any trouble, so I can't imagine that its too serious, but I'll still ask about it

Old 05-01-2008, 09:25 PM
ToroPerro
3rd Gear
I'll go ahead and make an appointment tomorrow anyway. They usually take a good week or so at my dealer if you want a Mini loaner.

I am really glad I posted on this again and a loose axel nut is about as good as you can get in terms of an easy fix.

Thanks very much for the update!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:09 AM
dogdal24
5th Gear
Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm due for a checkup in about 900 miles and I'll be sure to have them check this.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
pchan911
1st Gear
OMG, this noise just started to appear for me. I'm 2.4k from the next oil change per the obd. Definatly have them look into this

Thanks Torro for starting this, and Turnomini for getting an answer. Woot! Love these nam forums!

Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
YMINI
2nd Gear
I have the same problem.
Can anyone please post a picture or explain there that axle nut located? I want to try to tighten it up.
Thanks!