Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Replace Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:48 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
We stock the fuel filters for the OEM filter not a cheap off brand.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/fuel-fi...0-r53-r52.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 04-18-2010, 10:30 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
We stock the fuel filters for the OEM filter not a cheap off brand.<br />
<a href="http://www.waymotorworks.com/fuel-filter-oem-r50-r53-r52.html" target="_blank">http://www.waymotorworks.com/fuel-filter-oem-r50-r53-r52.html</a>

Thanks for the reply, but not sure what the incentive would be as I had already found "the same" ("I think"?) for a buck+ less expensive (including shipping), here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/cart/

If there's "a difference", please, pitch away (sell it to me)...

Last edited by grc123; 04-18-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the aftermarket filters themselves seem to be OK (as far as fit), it is the seals that are provided with these kits that don't fit. I have yet to see them sized properly. I would venture a guess that the filter media on the OE is a better quality as well. If you really want to save what amounts to less than $30 on a job that only needs to be done every 60-100K miles (or never, according to MINI ) then you get what you pay for.

Old 04-22-2010, 05:39 AM
grc123
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Grassroots Garage
the aftermarket filters themselves seem to be OK (as far as fit), it is the seals that are provided with these kits that don't fit. I have yet to see them sized properly. I would venture a guess that the filter media on the OE is a better quality as well. If you really want to save what amounts to less than $30 on a job that only needs to be done every 60-100K miles (or never, according to MINI ) then you get what you pay for.
Very good points - points well-taken - thanks.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:02 AM
Pedro78
Neutral
what is exactly the lifetime of the fuel filter? any tips?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Pedro78
Neutral
i have added k&n air intake, pulley 15%, removed my catalisater, remapped the ecu & put the iridium spark plugs, performance is 9/10 but I'm finding a difficulty when i start the car, i have the push on the gas pedal so it can start,
any help?

Old 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Originally Posted by Pedro78
what is exactly the lifetime of the fuel filter? any tips?
The factory considers this a "lifetime" filter, so there is no official replacement interval for it. Unofficially, MINI puts a 100,000 mile lifetime on its vehicles, so I like to replace the "lifetime" parts some time before then. Anywhere between 60 and 90k, it mostly comes down to the kind of driving you do and personal peace of mind

Old 05-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Originally Posted by Pedro78
i have added k&n air intake, pulley 15%, removed my catalisater, remapped the ecu & put the iridium spark plugs, performance is 9/10 but I'm finding a difficulty when i start the car, i have the push on the gas pedal so it can start,
any help?
Pedro, this could be your tune not giving the proper cold start fuel mixture.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:21 PM
chadtoolio
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I reccomend the 100k interval and keep with the fuel filter theme on the E46-E39 etc....

Old 05-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Pedro78
Neutral
thank you grassroots, mine has done 102256 Km, and i have a problem everytime i start my car ( only in the morning) so i thought it has to do with the fuel filter
ciao

Old 09-01-2010, 02:03 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yellow,

I have a couple questions. In my 2004 Mini Cooper S, my fuel gauge is broken. When I start my car the needle moves up to the empty line then when you turn off the car, the fuel line goes all the way down until you cant see it (Obviously). So, on another post on NM, someone told me that it could be that the fuel sensor might be stuck at zero or it is just broken and it can be replaced or jiggled out if it is stuck. He also said, if those are not the problem, then it might be the pump, which is on the drivers rear side.

I want to go and take a look into the passenger side fuel filter to check if the sensor is stuck or something, but Im scared I might do it wrong or break it. I checked the DIY to changing the fuel filters, and it seems pretty straight forward. I totally dont know how the fuel sensor looks like, or where it is in the filter. Can anybody help me or does anyone know what the problem might be? I want to do it myself if it is possible to save some money, but I just want to make sure. I want some helpful tips removing the filter and stuff. Do i have to change the filter and drain out the dirty fuel if I just want to check the sensor?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by whOOPS01
...Do i have to change the filter and drain out the dirty fuel if I just want to check the sensor?
I would change the filter but a drain is not necessary.

The float is dangling on the bottom of the whole assembly that houses the filter. It is easily broken if someone is not paying attention when they change the filter. You should be able to easily see if it is stuck.

One sentence of warning. It probably would not be a good idea to see if the float switch is working by turning on the car while you have the housing in your hand. I don't know for sure but my guess is that if you do that it will shoot fuel when the pump on the other side comes on. Again, I could be wrong but I am not sure it would be worth it to try.

Rich

PS-The filter comes with the needed O rings but it should be noted that for some reason it comes with 2 large seals but you only use one.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:41 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson

PS-The filter comes with the needed O rings but it should be noted that for some reason it comes with 2 large seals but you only use one.
The 2 O rings are suppose to be one for each model MINI, but usually the kit just has 2 of the same orings. Put it on the tank then install the sender you life will be much easier.

Don't try to drain the gas, drive it to empty then do the replacement.

Also FYI if you fill the tank and the gauge still doesn't read. Use the gauge check function to see if it is even working. If it works you may have 2 bad senders or some circuit problem. If you fill it and the gauge goes to 1/2 tank then you just have one bad sender.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rich.Wolfson
I would change the filter but a drain is not necessary.

The float is dangling on the bottom of the whole assembly that houses the filter. It is easily broken if someone is not paying attention when they change the filter. You should be able to easily see if it is stuck.

One sentence of warning. It probably would not be a good idea to see if the float switch is working by turning on the car while you have the housing in your hand. I don't know for sure but my guess is that if you do that it will shoot fuel when the pump on the other side comes on. Again, I could be wrong but I am not sure it would be worth it to try.

Rich

Yellow,

If I do change the filter, how often should I be changing from that point?

What is the point of draining and what are the benefits of draining? Would I be draining out gas?

How does the sensor look like? Is it supported by something or is it floating? Is it located in the middle of the filter, or outside of the filter?

When you are talking about the float switch, what exactly are you talking about? Are you talking about testing out my fuel gauge needle? If so, so you are saying dont start the car when I still have the line disconnected from the housing?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Paul

Old 09-01-2010, 11:07 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The 2 O rings are suppose to be one for each model MINI, but usually the kit just has 2 of the same orings. Put it on the tank then install the sender you life will be much easier.

Don't try to drain the gas, drive it to empty then do the replacement.

Also FYI if you fill the tank and the gauge still doesn't read. Use the gauge check function to see if it is even working. If it works you may have 2 bad senders or some circuit problem. If you fill it and the gauge goes to 1/2 tank then you just have one bad sender.
Yellow,

When you talk about putting on the o rings and then the sender. is the sender the line that connects to the housing or the thing inside that Rich Wolfson is explaining to me?

I heard form some people that you can drain it and drive it to empty. What is the difference between the two options?

When i fill up my tank, it doesnt move at all. It is the same all the time. I turn on my car, the fuel needle just pops up to the empty line and just stays there when on, and drops when car is off.

Thanks a lot!

Paul

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 PM
PaulWalliDumali
3rd Gear
Yellow,

I think I didnt say this before, but this problem occurred after i changed my brakes. I started to change my brakes and I didnt have the special tool to compress the pistons from the calipers. So, I had my car jacked up from the rear right over night and half the next day, maybe a little longer. That is why I think this could just be a easy juggle to the sending unit. I think it might be stuck. Anyone?

Thanks again!

Paul

Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Darkstar1
Neutral
This assembly so poorly made...

My filter replacement went perfect until it was time to put the cheesy zinc plated POS ring back on. It screws on with the use of the wife's foot pushing down on the white canister, but after being hammered around to the stop, it pops off when she removes her foot. I officially hate her car! Have spent over two hours trying to get the one stupid ring to stay on...

It's crap I tell you...

Old 09-07-2010, 10:58 AM
jimz68
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^Install the seal on the tank first. Use some Vaseline and lube the inside of the seal. Then, slide the filter into the tank. Press down until fully seated. Make sure the seal is installed with the "This Side Down" on the down side.
Now you should be able to install the retaining ring easily.

Hope This Helps....

Jim

Old 12-25-2010, 01:09 AM
Namikuz
2nd Gear
Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM
lilcoop189
Neutral
I have a 2002 Mini Cooper (NOT S) and I followed the pics exactly, but my white plastic cover looks a little different. When I finally got it open there was not a filter there, but a solid copper colored metal cannister. This looks like a self contained filter. Do you know anything about this?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
$34.36 here: This is for a 2003 min cooper though.

http://www.koperformance.com/part-nu...46757196/VAICO

That is with shipping included for me atleast. I hope this fixes my car, but if not its probably time to replace it anyway. Also thanks for that guide.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
The VAICO filters do not have seals that fit properly. Read my post above about this. Use the OE filters, don't be cheap and try try to save a few bucks on a part you only have to replace every few years or less.
To those of you with multiple questions on how to do this, and how to fix that, take it apart... then you will understand how it goes back together. If you have reservations about taking it apart, then entrust the car to your local mechanic and get it done right.
I realize the reason most of you are here are to save a buck on parts and collectively figure out how to maintain and repair your cars on your own, but not everyone is competent mechanically, or you wouldn't be here. Its not a hard job for the mechanically inclined, but if you can't accept advise from professionals like myself or Way, then why ask?
OK, rant over.
I sell the OE filter for just under $50, as does Way. Please support the vendors here, its how we make a living, and the advertising isn't cheap. Of course you can always start a new thread entitled "I just used cheap parts on my MINI, now it won't run properly, what should I do"
Was that too harsh?

Last edited by Grassroots Garage; 02-15-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
...I sell the OE filter for just under $50, as does Way. Please support the vendors here, its how we make a living, and the advertising isn't cheap. Of course you can always start a new thread entitled "I just used cheap parts on my MINI, now it won't run properly, what should I do"
Was that too harsh?

Great input, and more believable coming from a MINI expert, but not a MINI dealership tech.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
2003minicooper
3rd Gear
The VAICO filters do not have seals that fit properly. Read my post above about this. Use the OE filters, don't be cheap and try try to save a few bucks on a part you only have to replace every few years or less.
To those of you with multiple questions on how to do this, and how to fix that, take it apart... then you will understand how it goes back together. If you have reservations about taking it apart, then entrust the car to your local mechanic and get it done right.
I realize the reason most of you are here are to save a buck on parts and collectively figure out how to maintain and repair your cars on your own, but not everyone is competent mechanically, or you wouldn't be here. Its not a hard job for the mechanically inclined, but if you can't accept advise from professionals like myself or Way, then why ask?
OK, rant over.
I sell the OE filter for just under $50, as does Way. Please support the vendors here, its how we make a living, and the advertising isn't cheap. Of course you can always start a new thread entitled "I just used cheap parts on my MINI, now it won't run properly, what should I do"
Was that too harsh?

I was going to cancel my order, and buy from you, but couldn't find a fuel filter, and got the vaico. I put it on, and couldn't get the canister back together, then I realized the gasket was too round which is what you said, but I rigged it up.

I had towels all over, and still managed to get fuel all over the inside of the car. Nothing a bunch of chemicals won't fix. The leather sure can handle a lot of stuff. Fuel, simple green, and some purple power stuff I got at the auto store. Still can't get the smell out of the car though. Letting simple green, and purple power soak up overnight to hopefully get rid of the gas smell.

I spent $15.00 on a pack of disposable gloves, but returned them cause I'd rather get my hands dirty then waste $15.00 even knowing it was probably 50 pair of gloves. It takes a lot of soap to clean skin, and get rid of the smell, but worth not wasting money on gloves. I was lighting the wood stove tonight 2 nights after changing the filter, and saw a nice flame going by my arm so I must have had some gas I didn't get off, but I can't smell it.

I did a lot of work on my mini, and saved about $5,000 that a mechanic would've charged to do all the work I did.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:28 AM
mjlwriter
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
Yes - I posted this last month - included step by step w/photos. PM if you have not done it yet, glad to help.

Here's the thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=145081

Eurothrasher:

Your write it is awesome. Will it also apply to a 2002 MINI Cooper (non-S)? If so, I'm taking your instructions into the trenches. Please let me know.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: Replace Fuel Filter