Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Alignment opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:24 AM
stevesimon
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment opinions??

i have both an 04 and 08 MCS - the 04 sits squat, stable and drives straight - the 08 is darty, follows anything and everything in the road and is overly sensitive to everything - the 08 is borderline unstable! When i look at it, the wheel stance/camber seems like it could actually be negative! The car also drives as if the factory set-up for "front toe" is a little out, versus in - anyone else experience this? I have mentioned to my dealer, but he says to wait for the car to get a few thousand break-in miles on the suspension and it will remedy itself...what???

Old 05-18-2008, 05:09 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell the dealer to put it up on the alignment rack and check the alignment!
This could also be a tire problem, but an alignment check is the logical first step. Also, when you get the alignment checked, ask for the alignment printout, which will give you all the specifications and value ranges for your model, the actual readings before alignment, the readings after alignment, and which values were in-range and out-of-range.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:31 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
tires and wheels?

same size and brand tires?

my 02 with 17" s-lites and the Pir RF's really "trammelled" .. that is the tires/wheels had a strong tendnency to follow the road imperfections. Steel grate bridges and grooved pavements were especially fun. Non RF's eased it somewhat. The 07 with 16's doesn't do it at all.....smaller diameter and not as wide.... The 10x6 on the 79 don't do it at all!

Wide tires with stiff sidewalls would appear to be prone to increased trammel effect and alignment won't change that....but throwing the car on an alignment rack ain't a bad idea BUT

get a good recommendation on an alignment shop - these cars are, as you suspect, very sens' to correct alignment. A poor job will be noticed fast....

Old 05-19-2008, 07:34 AM
bluzeke
4th Gear
If you can get an alignment under warranty - go for it. Otherwise, try this, kind of a pain, but it's FREE and may really be at the heart of the problem.

I recently had a new set of tires installed, one of which turned out to be defective, and I could not believe how squirrelly it made my formerly completely neutral car. I isolated the problem using the above method and my dealer made good replacing it. He said he sees this even with new tires "all the time".

Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Blind Dog Daddy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stevesimon
i have both an 04 and 08 MCS - the 04 sits squat, stable and drives straight - the 08 is darty, follows anything and everything in the road and is overly sensitive to everything - the 08 is borderline unstable! When i look at it, the wheel stance/camber seems like it could actually be negative! The car also drives as if the factory set-up for "front toe" is a little out, versus in - anyone else experience this? I have mentioned to my dealer, but he says to wait for the car to get a few thousand break-in miles on the suspension and it will remedy itself...what???
Alignments are covered under warranty for the first 1200 miles.
My '07MCS didn't handle as well as my previous '05MCS until the dealer realigned it. It was done under warranty.
The suspension may have been tweeked during the shipping process.
Are they delaying you until you have to pay for it?
Have them check the alignment and provide you with "before and after" printouts of your car's settings. You'll then be able to tell what was changed and also have a record of settings in case you need documentation later on.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 AM
RedMiniBirmingham
3rd Gear
Steve, I am having very similar issues and it's freaking me out.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=143073

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=142935

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=142379

I'm not going to post about it anymore - not trying to be alarmist, but hoping I could find some people like yourself with similar issues.

I discovered last night that while the "feel" is dead in the center, the wheel at that point is actually hypersensitive - the slightest movement and the wheels are all over the place.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:39 AM
rickdm
2nd Gear
Something is wrong with your alignment or front suspension. My MCS with 17" wheels is rock solid and has absolutely no free play in the steering. I think the suggestion to drive another car for comparison is a good one.

Old 06-25-2008, 10:10 PM
John928
Neutral
If your MCS spent any time on a car hauler here in the US, odds are good the alignment may be out. If a driver / operator had a bad day he may have tied off on a suspension component and bent it, throwing your alignment out. Pretty easy to do, really.

I'd second the recommendation to ask your dealer to put the car on the alignment machine and see if it's out.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm experiencing this with my rear suspension. There are times when it seems the rear is off and leans more on the drivers side. My dealer told me today that they won't cover alignment under warranty now that my car has 5,000 miles on it.