Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Power Steering Pump Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM
67/327
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I payed $407 last Nov. That's a good price. You might consider keeping your pump and cleaning the carbon dust out with a compressor. It will be like new and if you have another failure the price will be right.

Old 06-05-2008, 05:20 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Replace Fan

When my fan was replaced, magically the power steering worked again. Consider replacing the fan prior to replacing the whole pump. My two cents.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:32 AM
GreyProphetMini
1st Gear
I am going pump route I hear what your saying but I can see the fan working something tells me that if the fan is spinning its not the fan, though it might help to replace everything and be done with the headache. I think I am going to invest in the fan duct seems that will prevent debris from ruining the fan and help more air get to the Power Steering Pump. Anyone have experience with this or the metal fan grills?

Old 06-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
I plan on installing the Factory Upgraded Power Steering Fan Duct & Panel sooner than later. Wish there was some step-by-step/DIY guide for the install though.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
67/327
1st Gear
I just thought to go back and see if you noted the mileage. I had 60K on a 2004 when the pump failed. Yours is a 2003 and if it had lower mileage; driving conditions could accelerate the wear on the pump. There's an O-ring in the casing that separates the fluid from the motor section. Sometimes that leaks.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:53 AM
GreyProphetMini
1st Gear
40k miles and it seems by looking in the tank that their is plenty of fluids

Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 PM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xymox
I plan on installing the Factory Upgraded Power Steering Fan Duct & Panel sooner than later. Wish there was some step-by-step/DIY guide for the install though.
It's really very easy... once you look under the car or at the part, you'll see - the speed clips to hook to the fan don't come with it though which is lame

Old 06-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by msjulie33
It's really very easy... once you look under the car or at the part, you'll see - the speed clips to hook to the fan don't come with it though which is lame
Can you get them from a place like ECS Tuning or Pelican Parts? You wouldn't happen to have the part number or amount of speed clips needed do you?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
What about a rebuild of your's ?

Originally Posted by GreyProphetMini
So my power steering shut off on me the other day after running for 30-45 min of highway driving w/ the A/C on. It didn't die until I got off the highway and drove on local roads for about 5 min or so. So I pulled over turned the car off for a few min to see if A.) I had PS Fluid (which I had plenty) B.) If their was something lodged in the PS fan (nothing.) So I turn the car back on to go home and WoW power steering is back. Ok so now I am on my way to work tomorrow I drive the same distance on the highway and keep the a/c off this time. Again 5 or so min after exiting the highway and power steering dies. Shut the car off and wait 5 min and Bam back again. Now since then I have not been on the highway and drive times have been no more then 15 min and no problems. What could the issues be? Failing power steering pump? And from what I have read here seems the heat from the header causes the electric motor to burn up. Could the pump be overheating from the higher header temp due to high speed highway driving?
If you have alternate transportation, or can be without your MINI for a couple of weeks, have these guys rebuild your present pump ~ I heard they can do it for about $200.00US + Shipping.

http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1414

Old 06-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Eurothrasher
6th Gear
Received 168 Likes on 134 Posts
Me too, until I found this for under 80 bucks.....@ Moss Mini. And I am sure it comes with directions, should be an easy install from the looks.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:40 AM
msjulie33
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eurothrasher
Me too, until I found this for under 80 bucks.....@ Moss Mini. And I am sure it comes with directions, should be an easy install from the looks.

Right, it is . See the little fastener tips on the right of the airl channel for the fan?No speed clips to attach to fan housing- dealer tech ended up giving me a real set (at oil change) that he found when he saw I just had used some generic speed clips I had. I don't have the real part # but he told me they were silly priced.. but somehow they came for some other car's parts order and weren't needed

The things in the right side of this box is what I used - they aren't perfect but they worked fine for me and the air channel never fell down or anything so..

http://pinballmagic.com/images/ucliplit.jpg

Old 06-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Dillepa
Neutral
Originally Posted by GreyProphetMini
So my power steering shut off on me the other day after running for 30-45 min of highway driving w/ the A/C on. It didn't die until I got off the highway and drove on local roads for about 5 min or so. So I pulled over turned the car off for a few min to see if A.) I had PS Fluid (which I had plenty) B.) If their was something lodged in the PS fan (nothing.) So I turn the car back on to go home and WoW power steering is back. Ok so now I am on my way to work tomorrow I drive the same distance on the highway and keep the a/c off this time. Again 5 or so min after exiting the highway and power steering dies. Shut the car off and wait 5 min and Bam back again. Now since then I have not been on the highway and drive times have been no more then 15 min and no problems. What could the issues be? Failing power steering pump? And from what I have read here seems the heat from the header causes the electric motor to burn up. Could the pump be overheating from the higher header temp due to high speed highway driving?
I had the exact same experience today! I had to run a 200 mile trip today in southeast Texas and while waiting to make a left turn at my destination, it went out. No noise or warning...all of a sudden, I'm driving a tank! Upon departing three hours later, it was working again. Then somewhere along I-10, it went out again. Thanks for bringing up the fan issue. I do NOT remember hearing it running...and it is loud and distinct. I'll check my fuses in the morning. Sad thing is that MINI service is booked for well over a week! By the way, I have on '03 Cooper S with 83k miles on it. I am using a power steering fan shield from Mini Mania. So I don't think anything is stuck in it.

Paul

Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Replace the fan

I had the same exact experience. Replace the fan. The power steering would function fine on cold days. On hot days after about a half hour of driving the unit would stop functioning.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Yes, replace the fan. BUT, we STILL haven't determined when the power steering fan engages. All we have determined is the fan spins moments after the A/C is switched on.

We don't know if the fan runs after 30, 40, 60 minutes. Nor do we know what temps trigger the power steering fan to engage.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:23 AM
lordgrinz
3rd Gear
I did some searching on here trying to figure that out, it seems the fan goes on when the radiator fan high speed fan goes on. Thats why when the AC goes on the Pump Fan goes on, because the AC tells the radiator fans to go on high speed.

Yes, replace the fan. BUT, we STILL haven't determined when the power steering fan engages. All we have determined is the fan spins moments after the A/C is switched on.

We don't know if the fan runs after 30, 40, 60 minutes. Nor do we know what temps trigger the power steering fan to engage.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:21 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Fan

I spent $200 to have the fan replaced and I haven't had a lick of troubled since then. Good luck!

Old 06-19-2008, 07:54 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
Originally Posted by lordgrinz
I did some searching on here trying to figure that out, it seems the fan goes on when the radiator fan high speed fan goes on. Thats why when the AC goes on the Pump Fan goes on, because the AC tells the radiator fans to go on high speed.
Nice work.

I would guess I use my A/C a dozen or so times a year (I'm a windows all the way down kinda guy with the MINI), so I guess my fan stays dormant for most of year.

Good to know. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:43 AM
Dillepa
Neutral
well...bad news. Even though the diagnostic machine indicated an elctrical issue with the power steering pump, we weren't 100% sure that the fan wasn't contributing to the problem, so I decided to try the inexpensive route and have the fan replaced. By the time I got back to the office, the power steering was out again. Estimate for pump replacement is in the $1100. range (after $240 for diagnostics/fan!) oooo, I feel faint... Seriously, repairs are SO expensive, largely due to labor because it's SO hard to easily get to many of these parts. I don't think I'll ever forget the phone call I had from an SA one day. "You need to have your oil pan gasket replaced." okay, considering my impression was that the oil pan was on the BOTTOM of the car and should only require the removal of few bolts. HA! $400 later... I recently had another oil gasket replaced...$4 part with 2.5 hours of labor.
Any advice on the power steering pump? I might contact Classic and check their price on the pump. I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle where I've had to replace a power steering pump.

Paul

Old 06-20-2008, 06:48 AM
joedude99
3rd Gear
Steering Fluid

I'm sure you have probably already tried this, but is your level of power steering fluid normal? I guess I was lucky that I replaced the fan before the pump was permanently damaged by the excessive head without the fan functioning.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:57 AM
Dillepa
Neutral
Originally Posted by joedude99
I'm sure you have probably already tried this, but is your level of power steering fluid normal? I guess I was lucky that I replaced the fan before the pump was permanently damaged by the excessive head without the fan functioning.
Yes, that was checked. I also just had all of my fluids topped off with a "service interval" oil change within the last couple of weeks.
Good news for those having their ps fans replaced...MINI now has a fan sheild built into the new housings!

Paul

Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Xymox
5th Gear
You definitely need a new/re-furb PSP unit. I'd use the search feature. You'll find a few places that rebuild them for around $200-$600.

MINI's are painful in the repair dept. Nothing is cheap. And they are not user friendly in the DIY dept. compared to my other cars.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Chimera
5th Gear
I got my low mileage oil change a few weeks ago (26k) and while it was up they noticed that the PS fan was seized. Replaced under warranty, but worrying that this can happen in under 2 years on an 06 S which is really the best of the 1st gen coopers. The SA told me they replaced it with a new model that had some kind of cover/shielding, but I thought the 06s already came with that. Oh well, glad they noticed it before something bad happened.

Old 06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Dillepa
Neutral
You definitely need a new/re-furb PSP unit. I'd use the search feature. You'll find a few places that rebuild them for around $200-$600.

MINI's are painful in the repair dept. Nothing is cheap. And they are not user friendly in the DIY dept. compared to my other cars.
I got my first break today! I called Classic Auto Campus for a price quote on the PSP unit and found out they were having a fab sale for NAM members this month. $458 versus $658! (plus a deposit for the core.) The part is on it's way. Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bavarian Hypersports here in Houston can do the install in under the five hours MINI has it listed for and save me a little more moolah.

Parts prices have actually been fairly reasonable, especially considering the weak US dollar, it's just getting over how long it takes to get them properly installed. I just have to remind myself of all the goodies that are packed under that small bonnet and that there is not one I'd want to do without. I still love my MINI...although I might be living in it when I have to replace the clutch!

Paul