Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 05:30 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I will wait and see if the problem shows up again. Like the bulletin says, if the gear icon shows up again and you have either fault codes stored in memory, your car needs to have the shifter mechanism replaced as it was built in March. It seems March builds were "Blessed" with defective shifter assemblies. All other MINI's built before or after March 2008 do not need to have the shifter assembly replaced, just have the cables re-adjusted.

I think a an internal MINI quality control audit found the shifters of March built cars more prone to failure perhaps.
Yes, I understood that, however my shifter mechanism has already been replaced and I was just trying to understand what happens next should the gear icon show up again after the complete replacement (as in the case of MJB MINI). Guess we happen to be one of the March-built "lucky" ones...

Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent!!!

THANK YOU

Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
Yes, I understood that, however my shifter mechanism has already been replaced and I was just trying to understand what happens next should the gear icon show up again after the complete replacement (as in the case of MJB MINI). Guess we happen to be one of the March-built "lucky" ones...
Sorry, I wasn't aware yours had already gone thru surgery. I would think that the new shifter mechanism in your car is not from the same batch of defective ones found in March build cars.

I would think that at this point in time you are already out of the woods.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 AM
joey1320
4th Gear

then if its not wiring or computers, it will be just another mechanism

Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Sorry, I wasn't aware yours had already gone thru surgery. I would think that the new shifter mechanism in your car is not from the same batch of defective ones found in March build cars.

I would think that at this point in time you are already out of the woods.
No problem; hope you're right (fingers crossed)! Just checked my service invoice and ours was replaced in August. Thanks for the support!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:46 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joey1320
then if its not wiring or computers, it will be just another mechanism
That's what I got out of it as well. Not happy about it, but perhaps we won't have to go there. Thanks for posting all the info. so we have some back-up! Please stay involved as it helps to have technical assistance on-board.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
No problem; hope you're right (fingers crossed)! Just checked my service invoice and ours was replaced in August. Thanks for the support!

yeah i have been helping since 2006, but some stuff happened at the begining of this year(about some stuff i posted) and mini got involved with my being a nam member... so i kinda backed out and didn't post much at all.

i just decided to bring this topic some good news, since there are a lot of people interested in them. along with the sunroof thread.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Joey, how many hours does it take for the shop to adjust the shifter cables? What is it involved?

Thanks again, your input here is the equivalent of a gold mine.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:05 AM
joey1320
4th Gear
Joey, how many hours does it take for the shop to adjust the shifter cables? What is it involved?

Thanks again, your input here is the equivalent of a gold mine.

it take less than 1/2 hour. just move the airbox/tubes out of the way, loosen the nut holding the cable to the top of the trans. and shift the lever on the inside a couple of times... then bring back to "park", tighten the nut and reinstall the airbox/tubes.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:02 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
it take less than 1/2 hour. just move the airbox/tubes out of the way, loosen the nut holding the cable to the top of the trans. and shift the lever on the inside a couple of times... then bring back to "park", tighten the nut and reinstall the airbox/tubes.

Thank you, Joey. I can see this being a short Saturday morning visit to my service dept.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heres the last bulletin regarding the Gear display on the dash. its a brand new bulletin that came out 2 weeks ago, and supersedes the previous one from june.

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI M24 01 08 dated June 2008.

designates changes to this revision

PROBLEM
R55, R56 with F21 Transmission - Incorrect Gear Display

MODEL
R55, R56 (Cooper, Cooper S) with F21 ASIN 6-speed automatic transmission

SITUATION
The customer complains that the gear position displayed in the instrument cluster is incorrect. For example, the gear shifter mechanism is placed and displays the "D" position, while the instrument cluster shows the "N" position.

It is not possible to remove the key from the ignition while the N and D positions on the Steptronic gearshift mechanism are illuminated at the same time.

Also, intermittently the transmission warning light ("gear indicator") may be displayed when the ignition is turned off. The following fault codes may be stored in the CAS module:
  • A0B1 – Input selector lever position, implausible signal
  • A0B6 – Selector lever interlock signal, above threshold
CAUSE I
Possibly an incorrect adjustment of the gearshift cable at the transmission selector level

CAUSE II
Defective Steptronic gearshift assembly

SOLUTION
On a customer complaint basis, adjust the gearshift selector cable according to Repair Instruction RA24 10 018. After the adjustment is performed, the M8 tightening nut of the transmission selector lever should torqued to 12 Nm.

On vehicles produced from 03/01/08 up to 03/31/08, in case fault codes A0B1/A0B6 are stored in the CAS module, the Steptronic gearshift assembly (P/N 25 16 7 577 589) should be replaced. For the replacement procedure, refer to RA25 16 056, found in MINI TIS.
Sure, here you go!!!
weird thing is that it says July 2008, but i had never seen that bulletin come up until last month

24 02 08 Atomatic Transmission
July 2008
Technical Service
SUBJECT
R55, R56 with F21 Transmission - Various EGS Faults Caused by Wiring Harness Damage

MODEL
R55 (Clubman, Clubman S) with F21 ASIN 6-speed automatic transmission

R56 (Cooper, Cooper S) with F21 ASIN 6-speed automatic transmission

SITUATION
The customer may complain of the following:
  • It is difficult to engage the D or R gears from the Park position.
  • Gear shifts are extremely harsh during driving.
  • Intermittently, the transmission warning light ("gear indicator") may be displayed.
During the diagnosis, various combinations of the following fault codes may be stored in the EGS module:
  • 4E21, 4E22 - Electronic pressure control valve SLT
  • 4E2C - Electronic pressure control valve SLU
  • 4E35, 4E36 - Electronic pressure control valve SLC1
  • 4E3F, 4E40 - Electronic pressure control valve SLC2
  • 4E4A, 4E49 - Electronic pressure control valve SLC3
  • 4E54 - Electronic pressure control valve SLB1.
CAUSE
Possibly the transmission wiring harness is damaged and is chafing against the transmission housing; or the A/C condenser pipe or an electronic pressure valve fails intermittently.

SOLUTION

On a customer complaint basis, prior to executing the appropriate DIS Test Plan, visually inspect the transmission harness in the area close to the transmission mount, and behind the A/C condenser pipe (on top of the gear box areas indicated by #1).
If chafing is detected, the damaged part of the harness should be repaired and insulated, using a good quality adhesive tape (Wurth Black Cloth Friction Tape, article number 1985 620, may be used for this procedure).
For more information on this product, please visit www.wurthusa.com or call 1-800-WURTHUSA.
Diagnostic Hint:

If there is no defect found in the transmission wiring harness or connectors, then most likely the faults are caused by the intermittent failure of one of the electronic pressure control valves. In such a case, the valve body assembly should be replaced.

Do not replace the complete automatic transmission assembly for the complaints caused by the fault codes related to the electronic pressure control valves.
yeah i have been helping since 2006, but some stuff happened at the begining of this year(about some stuff i posted) and mini got involved with my being a nam member... so i kinda backed out and didn't post much at all.

i just decided to bring this topic some good news, since there are a lot of people interested in them. along with the sunroof thread.
Thank you very much for letting us in on your's and MINI's work on resolving these issues.

My MCa is an 03/18/08 Build and I see that 'Gear' (!) icon as well.

My habit is to have a foot on the brake when coming out of Park, but do see that it is not always necessary,
the 'brake-lock' from neutral to drive is functional.

Have never noticed that the Tach Gear Indication did not agree with the shift lever position and if key fob locks,
a recycle of 'start' button releases it.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:32 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I don't understand what is going on with my MINI I just think I deserve a new MINI. This has been going on since May and I picked up my car on April 25th. My shifter mechanism was replaced and still the icon is showing. I posted a message on MINI 2 Forum and I received a pm from MINI USA stating if I needed there help to let them know name, phone number, vin I don't know what to do. My MA stated that his manager was willing to give me a new vehicle they just want one last chance to try and fix it. I am sorry but winter is coming and I need a reliable vehicle. I know the law and I could have contacted a lawyer and do the New York State Lemon Law. They should know that and should be more than willing to give me a new vehicle.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:13 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
I don't understand what is going on with my MINI I just think I deserve a new MINI. This has been going on since May and I picked up my car on April 25th. My shifter mechanism was replaced and still the icon is showing. I posted a message on MINI 2 Forum and I received a pm from MINI USA stating if I needed there help to let them know name, phone number, vin I don't know what to do. My MA stated that his manager was willing to give me a new vehicle they just want one last chance to try and fix it. I am sorry but winter is coming and I need a reliable vehicle. I know the law and I could have contacted a lawyer and do the New York State Lemon Law. They should know that and should be more than willing to give me a new vehicle.
I was PMed by MINI Division here on NAM not that long ago due to my repeated problems posted with my MCSa.They helped some with my Mini service dept. and finally was able to contact my SA.There is a service bulletin posted by joey1320 on 10-04-2008 about the wire harness damage so maybe yours falls under that.

But I can understand your frustration and you should just push for a replacement vehicle now as they had several chances and it is still not fixed.
Good luck and keep us posted when you can.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:11 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I finally got the call saying they were coming to get my vehicle I asked them what I was getting to drive YEAH!!!! no offense but it is not a MINI after 6 times I have been through all the rentals. They are bringing me a Volkswagen Passat maybe I will like that one better. I am pushing for a replacement after 6 times I think I deserve it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for sharing this JCR1960, and for you, MJB, and whoever else out there is reading and wondering - we'll be awaiting more news, while hoping for the best.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Any news from the front, MJB, or are they closed for Columbus Day?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Any news from the front, MJB, or are they closed for Columbus Day?
I still haven't heard anything not sure if they are closed or not. I will give it a day or so more and see what happens. I will let everyone know what I find out.

The ironic thing is I did a free vin check to see how many records for my vehicle only 3 my car has been in more than three times what is up with that.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:32 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
I still haven't heard anything not sure if they are closed or not. I will give it a day or so more and see what happens. I will let everyone know what I find out.

The ironic thing is I did a free vin check to see how many records for my vehicle only 3 my car has been in more than three times what is up with that.
Hard to say it could be that all of the information hasn't been added as of yet.Plus where did you get the free VIN check from?

Anyway just make sure you keep all of your invoices from when your car has been in for repairs which is your best proof.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:36 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I have all my invoices and emails. I made sure I took those out of the car before they picked it up this time. I basically told them yesterday I want a new car or I am going to lemon law this. My MA is speaking with the sales manager. They don't want to lemon law he said it woulld be much easier for both parties if they just swapped vehicles.

I will keep everyone updated.

I am sorry I am just done with repairs to this vehicle they are digging into it and it is showing numerous faults and they really don't know what is wrong with it. Enough is enough I have gone through this to many times. My husband told me this morning about time I did something with this he would have done it a long time ago.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for the update. Hang in there MJB! It sounds as though your dealership is going to work with you on this.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:07 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update. Hang in there MJB! It sounds as though your dealership is going to work with you on this.
Otra how long should I hang in there. I haven't heard anything from my MA or the sales manager. My MA is off on Thursdays so should I give it a few days not sure what to do.

Thanks

MJB

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Otra
6th Gear
When did they pick up your car? Was it on the 9th or the 10th? They're not going to have worked on it over last weekend. Do we assume that their technicians didn't have Columbus Day off? If so, they've had this whole week as of tomorrow. I'd call today and speak with the Service Advisor and ask for the bottom line on the car's issues. Either they know and have parts ordered, or they don't know. If they say they are still waiting to hear from MINI engineering, I'd say it's time to go forward and make that "swap" deal.

Though it is not up to the Service Advisor to get involved with any deals that you and your MA have discussed, it is up to the Service Advisor to apprise you of what is going on with your MINI. Depending upon what he says, you can either wait until tomorrow to speak with your MA or speak directly to the manager. If you've only spoken with your MA thus far, and not the manager, yet, then you might want to wait until tomorrow to get down to the final dealings on this.

It's hard to give advice when one is not personally involved and doesn't know all the details, but you've said they wanted one last chance to fix it, but then they also appeared to want to let you exchange this one for a new one. I certainly wouldn't blame you one bit for being fed up and just wanting to move on.

The question is, if you are going to "swap" - from where and when is this new Clubman arriving? Will you have to order? Will they give you a break on the order, as in a discount to at least reflect the former prices of the '08?

Think about what you want, make some notes and be direct. If you order, will you be able to continue to drive this Clubman or will they give you a MINI loaner automatic instead?

I'm sure some others will have some thoughts, but the biggest thing is to plan ahead what parameters you are looking for and willing to accept - at least that's what I think.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
When did they pick up your car? Was it on the 9th or the 10th? They're not going to have worked on it over last weekend. Do we assume that their technicians didn't have Columbus Day off? If so, they've had this whole week as of tomorrow. I'd call today and speak with the Service Advisor and ask for the bottom line on the car's issues. Either they know and have parts ordered, or they don't know. If they say they are still waiting to hear from MINI engineering, I'd say it's time to go forward and make that "swap" deal.

Though it is not up to the Service Advisor to get involved with any deals that you and your MA have discussed, it is up to the Service Advisor to apprise you of what is going on with your MINI. Depending upon what he says, you can either wait until tomorrow to speak with your MA or speak directly to the manager. If you've only spoken with your MA thus far, and not the manager, yet, then you might want to wait until tomorrow to get down to the final dealings on this.

It's hard to give advice when one is not personally involved and doesn't know all the details, but you've said they wanted one last chance to fix it, but then they also appeared to want to let you exchange this one for a new one. I certainly wouldn't blame you one bit for being fed up and just wanting to move on.

The question is, if you are going to "swap" - from where and when is this new Clubman arriving? Will you have to order? Will they give you a break on the order, as in a discount to at least reflect the former prices of the '08?

Think about what you want, make some notes and be direct. If you order, will you be able to continue to drive this Clubman or will they give you a MINI loaner automatic instead?

I'm sure some others will have some thoughts, but the biggest thing is to plan ahead what parameters you are looking for and willing to accept - at least that's what I think.
They picked up my car on Thuirsday, 10/9/08

I spoke with the SA yesterday and at that point they did not know what was wrong with my vehicle, faults were showing "The same technician is working on your car that has been working on your car all along, he is working as fast as he can" that came directly from my SA and with attitude. I don't want to deal with him any longer.

I am not sure whether to contact a lawyer at this point or not. I think to be safe I just may have to, it seems like someone should have gotten back to me on this.

On top of all this (my dog passing away) my MINI being busted my mother is in a nursing home and she is very ill no hopes of a recovery just a waiting game and a matter of time for her. Her lungs and heart are in very bad condition so I have that to deal with also.

I just want to scream

Old 10-16-2008, 11:00 AM
Otra
6th Gear
MJB, I'm very sorry for you. Reading about your Mother's failing health now, adds to my sympathies for you.

I also just was reading another thread in which you posted that this dealership has put scratches on your car while working on it. Did you point these out when you noticed them and if so what did they say?

You've got to prioritize and not let this push you over the edge because you have to be there for your Mother in particular. Here's my 2 cents - call up NY State, if you haven't already, and find out what you need to do IF you have to proceed with the Lemon Law. (I know nothing about this, and thankfully haven't needed to learn.)

If you need some "backup" enlist your husband. There's nothing wrong with "backup". Just tell your MA or the Manager if your MA is not there tomorrow that you've reached your limit. Meanwhile, you will know what your rights are with regard to the Lemon Law. Be prepared to make a deal for a swap if that is what you want, but figure out exactly what you want, as I suggested a in my recent post.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:15 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
MJB, I'm very sorry for you. Reading about your Mother's failing health now, adds to my sympathies for you.

I also just was reading another thread in which you posted that this dealership has put scratches on your car while working on it. Did you point these out when you noticed them and if so what did they say?

You've got to prioritize and not let this push you over the edge because you have to be there for your Mother in particular. Here's my 2 cents - call up NY State, if you haven't already, and find out what you need to do IF you have to proceed with the Lemon Law. (I know nothing about this, and thankfully haven't needed to learn.)

If you need some "backup" enlist your husband. There's nothing wrong with "backup". Just tell your MA or the Manager if your MA is not there tomorrow that you've reached your limit. Meanwhile, you will know what your rights are with regard to the Lemon Law. Be prepared to make a deal for a swap if that is what you want, but figure out exactly what you want, as I suggested a in my recent post.

I am telling you when it rains it seems to pour

Yes I did point out the scratches and they fixed as best as they could. These were deep scratches not just surface ones.

I am going to call up NY and I think it is time to get MINI USA involved also.

I am at the point where I am not sure if I want a swap, if this is how they deal with people I might just want my money back.

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes