Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gt489
yes its a problem and have replaced a few of them. the bulletin states to update the car then replace the interlock. update never works but replacing the interlock does.
I agree with you it is a problem, but in my case they replaced the interlock and it was still showing the amber gear icon. My SA said they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my first MINI that is why they replaced it with a 2009.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:20 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Thank you.Oh I definitely want to get another MCS to replace this one.

Yesterday I stopped by Vista MINI to let them know about MINI USA buying back my '08 MCS and what to do next but the Sales Manager and my MA were both off on Friday.I should have a better idea some time next week.
Congratulations Jim I see you got your MCS replaced

I eventually want to get the checkerboard skuttles for my MINI seeing that I have the checkerboard motif in my MINI

Old 12-04-2008, 01:51 PM
gt489
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
I agree with you it is a problem, but in my case they replaced the interlock and it was still showing the amber gear icon. My SA said they couldn't figure out what was wrong with my first MINI that is why they replaced it with a 2009.
did they update it and clear faults?

Old 12-04-2008, 02:53 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by gt489
did they update it and clear faults?
I am pretty sure they did. They told me mine was the first to keep showing the transmission warning all the others they replaced seemed to be fine. It figures at least I was given a 2009 MINI with no extra charge except for paying for title and registration.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:33 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Congratulations Jim I see you got your MCS replaced

I eventually want to get the checkerboard skuttles for my MINI seeing that I have the checkerboard motif in my MINI
Thank you very much

My replacement 2009 MCSa is such a joy to drive!!

And that would look very nice.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Still not fixed??

I was able to turn Molly off two times this weekend while it was in "D". The only way I knew there was a problem was when I could not get my Key Fob out of the ignition until I moved the shift lever into "P".

I left a message for my SA and let her know what was going on. Molly isn't due for her yearly service until April, I guess we will wait and see "if" the weather warms up for a Code to show up. If not, it is easily duplicated.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I thought yours was fixed completely a long time ago??

Old 12-08-2008, 09:58 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I thought yours was fixed completely a long time ago??
So did I, but right after the fix 'the weather changed' or something??!!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Sorry for you - good luck!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I was able to turn Molly off two times this weekend while it was in "D". The only way I knew there was a problem was when I could not get my Key Fob out of the ignition until I moved the shift lever into "P".

I left a message for my SA and let her know what was going on. Molly isn't due for her yearly service until April, I guess we will wait and see "if" the weather warms up for a Code to show up. If not, it is easily duplicated.
I am so sorry to hear that your MINI isn't fixed

I don't think the weather has anything to do with this problem though. The reason why I say that is because even when the weather was cold the amber gear icon would come on in my first MINI in my vehicle anyways it didn't seem to matter what the temperature was.

The ironic thing is the dealer has my first MINI up for sale.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I am so sorry to hear that your MINI isn't fixed

I don't think the weather has anything to do with this problem though. The reason why I say that is because even when the weather was cold the amber gear icon would come on in my first MINI in my vehicle anyways it didn't seem to matter what the temperature was.

The ironic thing is the dealer has my first MINI up for sale.
MJB our Amber Gear Icon seemed to appear more when it was warmer outside, say in the 80's. I would have to check the paperwork to have an idea about the exact dates and the weather patterns at the time. I'll make sure I follow up with my SA and see if she has seen other cars come back for this issue.

We will definitely have it looked at in April when Molly has her one year maintenance service.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM
jztomlin
Neutral
"Sticky Shifter"

I have had this same warning light my 2010 mini is less than 8 months old. When I took it to the dealer they asked if I had ever had moisture in the cup holders???? I said that I use them quite frequently coffee and such. Well, they said that the entire shift mechanism had gotten wet from the cup holders and that this wasn't covered by warranty. They are attempting to have me pay 715.00$$$$ to repair the shifter assy.....

First off, I baby my car. Nothing has ever spilled in it! Maybe a cold drink has condensed the bottom side of the cup holder but that in my opinion is a bad design and a brand new car with less than 11000 miles on it shouldn't cost you anything to repair unless you do something totally stupid.

Anyone care to weigh in? I have filed a complaint with Mini and plan on talking to the dealership service manager on Monday.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jztomlin
I have had this same warning light my 2010 mini is less than 8 months old. When I took it to the dealer they asked if I had ever had moisture in the cup holders???? I said that I use them quite frequently coffee and such. Well, they said that the entire shift mechanism had gotten wet from the cup holders and that this wasn't covered by warranty. They are attempting to have me pay 715.00$$$$ to repair the shifter assy.....

First off, I baby my car. Nothing has ever spilled in it! Maybe a cold drink has condensed the bottom side of the cup holder but that in my opinion is a bad design and a brand new car with less than 11000 miles on it shouldn't cost you anything to repair unless you do something totally stupid.

Anyone care to weigh in? I have filed a complaint with Mini and plan on talking to the dealership service manager on Monday.
That's crazy. I can't imagine how that much moisture could leak down through the cup holder to cause extensive shifter issues over this time period. Maybe if this moisture was a daily occurrence over 5-10 years, possibly; but not in 8 months.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM
dontpanic
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jztomlin

Just went through sorting out the "yellow gear" issue on our used 08 MCSa... took two trips to the dealer and a bit of back and forth (surprising for a known defect with relevant TSB) - finally fixed. Of note, there was specific mention in the service documentation with regard to having inspected the shift mechanism and finding it free of spillage. So yes, if you spill your double half caff chai latte with toffee swirl into your shifter that's on you. I have seen the inside of the center console on a friend's MCS when he installed some switches for custom rally lights: regular old condensation wetting around the screw in the bottom of the cup holder would have trouble reaching the shifter in amounts sufficient to cause issues I would think, there's carpet and some sound absorbent under there also.
Personally I'd want to see the disqualifying damage for myself.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:27 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No Warranty on Steptronic Shifter Defect.

I do wish I had seen this thread on MINI 2 that was posted in 2004 before first using my Cup Holders.

I would have added the little Neoprene Washer under the Torx (T-27) Screw in the Cup Holders long ago...
Originally Posted by (MINI 2 First-Generation Faults)
Transmission malfunctioned in my CVT Mini. Dealership pulled out shifter mechanism and found it filled with liquid - Coke, water and other beverages I suspect.

Mini refuses to warranty - saying its an outside influence. I investigated and found that the liquid clearly leaked from the screw hole in the bottom of the cup holders down into the shifter mechanism. Cup holders are not water tight and sit squarely over the shifter.

Anyone ever see this problem before?

Please help! I'm fighting MINI because some idiot decided to put the liquid cup holders over an instrument that should be water tight.
I was 'lucky' to find out about this Defect when I asked for a warranty replacement for my 2008 (Week 12) MINI's Faulty Transmission Lock at the end of the MINI-USA's Warranty coverage and was denied for "Coffee Stain".

It is fortunate that the addition of a 33 cent neoprene washer will prevent future leaks and I don't think my non locking Shifter was further damaged by previous leaking.

Below is my final correspondence with MINI-USA on the matter and this was also published by me on Facebook's "MINI Problems" page:

I was very lucky to have an R56 with a nearly perfect build quality and with the Warranty Coverage about to expire, I asked for the one Factory Defect to be taken care of, but found out that MINI-USA would not back up the Warranty. Here is my final correspondence with MINI-USA on the matter (to their credit, at least they did Respond to my inquiry):

Hi Emily,

Yes, at recommendation by MINI of FORT MYERS, I called Ask-MINI and Mediha then put me on hold while she called MINI of FORT MYERS and they gave her the same story that they had given me.

This was that the problem was caused by my using the Cup Holders for coffee which had leaked through that Screw in bottom into the Shifter mechanism.

It is good for me to know about this 'Leak' and my addition of a neoprene washer under the screw of each Cup Holder will prevent any further leaks.

However, the Truth of this Defect dates back to the day of delivery, long before any liquid had ever been in the car, A check of the CEL date would show 04/28/2008 at 6 PM and that code has been thrown with every key removal since then with no change whatsoever from coffee... If you will check MINI's SI M 24 01 08 (attached) you will see that the build date of my MINI (...TT63001) is in the middle (03/18/2008) of that One Month that MINI was installing defective Steptronic Shifters and as it states: "On vehicles produced from 03/01/2008 to 03/31/2008, if fault code A0B6 is stored in the CAS module, the Steptronic gearshift should be replaced. Defect Code: 25 16 09 66 00"

I have also attached page two of the Work Order from 04/02/2010 (Mileage: 5,631) created by SA Tu Phimmasone when he had difficulty removing Key Fob. You will notice he ordered the part and when he later called me to bring the car in for the install; I declined his offer as I had actually preferred it not to lock in Park. This was when our new MINI dealer had
first opened and I was pleased that there had never been any serious problems or need for me to travel 300 miles back to the selling Dealer, even for the Free Services.

MINI of FORT MYERS agreed with me on the History of the Problem, but explained that when the stain would be seen by MINI USA that they would deny Warranty Coverage as there had been many problems from MINI Cup Holders leaking. He even said he had a VIDEO from MINI-USA on it and although I was waiting for their Service to complete, he did not show it to me, he also never showed me the stained Steptronic mechanism with console off although he had taken me into the Service Bay to show me the stain at bottom of Cup Holders. I know they removed the Console as they left the Cigarette Lighter Receptacle sticking up and un-attached from below...

I sent a copy of my letter to you along to the selling Dealer; MINI of Tampa Bay and to his credit Dan Sheehan (Service Manager) telephoned me yesterday. He offered to 'take-charge' of the problem, but would of course, need the car at his facility and would be up against the same problem with MINI-USA on having the Defect Covered.

I can place no blame on the Dealer for MINI-USA's lack of support to replace a Factory Defect in my MINI and plan to give them the highest marks on your Survey, but will have to make it known how well MINI-USA supports the product. Your new MINI Roadster had really caught my eye but without support....

As Mediha stated Monday, I should have accepted the Warranty Replacement in the beginning, but I had deferred since I liked to be able to flip the lever out of Park to manually move the car a few inches when parked inside my level floor Hangar or Garage. With the Cup Holders now sealed by me this minor anomaly will have to remain for the life of the car...

Your Warranty to me ends Friday anyway (48 Months) at 14,200 miles and I can only rejoice in the otherwise flawless build quality of my MINI and be glad that there were never any serious defects to depend upon your support for.

When times are tough, it is even more important to stand behind your product.

Sincerely Yours, Art Johnson

-Original Message-----

[mailto:MINI.Assistance@askMINIUSA.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:00 PM

Subject: Your MINI Correspondence [1-2283853129]

Hi Art,

Thanks for writing MINI.

Our records indicate that you have recently discussed this with Mediha. I will forward your e-mail to her to follow up with you about your concerns.

The MINI Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Time. You can reach us at 1.866.ASK.MINI (275-6464).

LET’S MOTOR.

Emily Gallagher
MINI Customer Relations and Services
Representative

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 4/24/2012 12:00:00 AM
To: miniassist <MINI.Assistance@askminiusa.com>
Subject: Warranty problem

I am trying to get MINI’s support for a problem with my 2008 MINI before my Warranty expires.

My Motoring Advisor Oliver Morris (FERMAN MINI 04/28/2008) noticed on delivery that my car (*TT63001) did not lock in Park when Key Fob was

removed. Build date was 03/18/2008 with the defective batch of Steptronic gearshift assembly (see SI M 24 01 08) and should be replaced by MINI.

This Factory Defect was noted by Oliver Morris (he now manages Ferman’s Volvo store) and FERMAN MINI should have a record of it.

This defect was confirmed 04/02/2010 (RO Number 11134) by the newly opened MINI of FORT MYERS on my first service. I declined Warranty repair at that
time because I preferred it Not to lock in Park at that time, but with Factory Warranty Support ending this Friday, I thought it should be taken care of.

However, MINI of FORT MYERS is refusing support due to a coffee leak. They told me that this problem is caused by an unsealed screw (in Cup Holder) that has been an ongoing problem with MINI’s.

This is the First warning I have received about that ‘Leak’ around the screw in bottom of Cup Holder. I bought a $0.33 Neoprene Washer which now seals the screw. Notwithstanding any coffee stain, this was a Defective Part from Day One and should be Warranty Replaced by MINI !

I hope you can help me with this Warranty replacement. I truly am a MINI Fan & love the car and Company.

This is the first time I have been in need of special assistance or any Warranty Claim.

Thank you for your consideration,
Art Johnson
According to my Dealer, this situation still exists with the 2012 MINI's and a Dollar's worth of (3) little Neoprene Washers under those T27 Torx Screws will prevent the problem.

Last edited by pilotart; 04-25-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:31 PM
tinka2861@yahoo.com
Neutral
the gear warning lamp comes on in my car ... yellow with a box on top and an exclamation point in the center, what does this mean?? Not in the manual.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:08 PM
TChezem
2nd Gear
I have had an '08 Clubman AT with this same issue. MINI had a a bad batch of shift interlock mechanisms, mostly in '08 and early '09 models as near as I know. My '08 Clubman had the shift interlock replaced under warranty before I traded it in. My '09 Clubman S AT has had no problems, it is late '09 production.

Dependent of the production date of your car...you may get MINI to repalce the interlock mechanism, even if you're out of warranty by date or miles. They do have a known issue with this part and I believe a TSB has been issued on it.

Good luck, hope your dealer and SM are reasonable and accomodating. I'd suggest calling MINI USA direct, as a last resort if your dealership is unable to assist you to your expectations.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:26 AM
valle
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2012 Mini Cooper S Automatic Transmission Gear Selector Lever interlock problems. OBD

2012 Mini Cooper S Automatic Transmission Gear Selector Lever interlock problems. OBD codes A0B6 and A0B1.
I had the A0B6 Selector Lever interlock code and the A0B1 Input, selector lever position implausible. Also, had the gear lever selection lights go out. Here is how to fix.

To fix the selector level interlock A0B6 and A0B1 you need to take the center console out, there is a video below. Then you need to replace the yellow "emergency" gear puller, by putting the new "yellow" emergency release in and pulling through the plastic "runner", I did this via a wire. see pic below.
If the red lights go out on the selector characters (P, N R D etc) , then there is a fuse that needs to be checked and replaced before you take the whole gear selector assembly out. So fix the fuse first.
These I are the error codes which I got. (Ignore the brake light code, that is because the connection for the brake light is bad, separate problem and thread, quick fix, remove the brake light, clean up connectors, they can melt).
These are the OBD error codes.

This is a picture of the new "yellow" emergency release being installed and pulled through the plastic runner with a wire attached to one end. I would spray some silicon spray onto the plastic and runner to help it slide and pull into place. Once the yellow emergency release has slid into position put then circular holder onto the black plastic pivot. The pivot is the small rod protruding from the plastic. Also, check the white "switch" (this controls the interlock) to see if it is not broken and if it moves freely as this is what the interlock moves. If the white switch is broken then you have other problems, AFAIK you cannot buy the white thing as a spare part. FYI the white switch (interlock mechanism) has a magnet on the square end which signals to the transmission that the interlock is enabled or disabled.

Another picture maybe with better resolution and or contrast.

Here is a youtube video, to remove the centre console and if you want to remove the whole gear selector, this requires taking the central console out and then removing and installing a new selector from underneath the car.

I love it when modern car OBD diagnostic systems say implausible. Like talking to a kid.

Last edited by valle; 12-04-2019 at 02:29 AM. Reason: typo between interlock and emergency release