Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 05:04 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
And how do you know the new shifter mechanism is going to fix the problem? Sorry but given MINI's track record of replacing defective parts with defective parts I shall remain skeptical...
I don't know and thanks for easing my mind all I know is my mini has over 3,000 miles already and alot of them are trips back and forth to the dealer. I just want my vehicle fixed and I am hoping that the technicians now what they are doing.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry to sound so pessimistic... But I just want someone to come up and say why the shifter assembly is suspect of this problem and how they arrived at that conclusion. If it is a mechanical problem, why it doesn't happen every time? I have had the amber light come up 3 or 4 times in the past 5 months and it seems to go away for a month or so. Seems to me like a software glitch more than anything else.

Also swapping keys seems to elicit interesting results. For example, if you use my wife's key, the amber light never shows up. But if I use my key, it is more likely to occur.

Like I said, I am going to keep a holding pattern attitude towards the problem until a proven fix is introduced into the supply chain. I simply do not have the time or desire to let the dealer run experiments and change parts galore on an otherwise flawless automobile. If the glitch is infrequent and happens once in a blue moon, I'll live with it, unless, it becomes an everyday problem.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
pilotart
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOCK in Neutral ???

Anyone ever see the shift selector lock in neutral?

I do see the intermintant 'Gear' warning icon and when it is seen, shift lever is NOT LOCKED and one time, playing with it (usually gets it to lock in Park), saw it lock in neutral.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Mine is happening all the time the transmission warning used to be once in a blue moon now according to the dealer it is always on. They still have my vehicle and it has been a week tomorrow. I miss my MINI

Old 07-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Mine came back on today and interestingly it was quite hot outside.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:04 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Heat? yeah might be related. I still think is a bad software glitch and their band aid repair approach is to replace the entire shifter assembly.

This is akin to going to the doctor for a foot injury and getting your whole leg amputated instead.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Otra
6th Gear
At least they're replacing the leg and not leaving it legless. But I hear you, ClubmanS - though still hoping you're wrong.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Let me know how it goes for you.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Did a "Test" over the weekend. Molly was supposed to have been fixed a week ago last Wednesday...NOT!! Anyway, back to the "Test"...I was able to turn off the engine with the Gear Selector in "D" and "R"...NOT GOOD!! So I called my SA on Monday and let her know the findings. She noted that Molly was the 1st one their Dealership had seen with the problem and since Molly had been in 2 or 3 others have now come in with the same issue. They have isolated the problem and Molly has a new Appointment for Tuesday, August 19th. I will let you know what they do.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:21 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Did a "Test" over the weekend. Molly was supposed to have been fixed a week ago last Wednesday...NOT!! Anyway, back to the "Test"...I was able to turn off the engine with the Gear Selector in "D" and "R"...NOT GOOD!! So I called my SA on Monday and let her know the findings. She noted that Molly was the 1st one their Dealership had seen with the problem and since Molly had been in 2 or 3 others have now come in with the same issue. They have isolated the problem and Molly has a new Appointment for Tuesday, August 19th. I will let you know what they do.
Did they replace your shift mechanism? I noticed before I took mine in for service (which it is 1 week today ZIGGY has been at the dealer) I went to get gas and when I shut off the engine I was in drive.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 PM
Otra
6th Gear
OK, so my MCCa was in for two days...but I had more than just the Gear Cog Warning light... They fixed a few other issues, but this is the Gear Cog thread so - this was my second time back...this time they readjusted the cable as per SI 24-01-08 on shifter cable three times to get adjustment correct. Recheck OK.

I was told that they had to follow what MINI's directions were...and if the light came back on again - then they'd have to replace it...but that it was said that sometimes a replacement is not needed. It was also explained to me that if they did not follow the MINI directives that they would not be paid for the work... Fortunately, I do no live far away. As it worked out there was a huge traffic jam on the highway...so I was crawling along until I finally switched to local roads...also very crowded (rush hour) and then finally started moving..very hot weather in my neck of the woods today...made it home fine and - so far now Gear Cog light... So we shall see, if I'll end up having to bring the car back in or not - hopefully not!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:24 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
According to the Service Order a code was detected, tested and found faulty Brake Switch, the Brake Switch was replaced. But again, it did not fix the problem. Some kind of module is what the SA said I think.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:20 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I received an email yesterday and they are bringing ZIGGY home today. He is not fixed the part is on order so when it comes in the will pick him up. Where I got ZIGGY their regional field service engineer was in and he must have either looked at my car or they explained what was happening and determined what needed to be done.

Otra I don't mean to be a downer but they adjusted my cables to my MINI before and eventually the light did end up coming back on.

I am just happy to be getting my MINI back even though he is not fixed yet he will be.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Ah - lucky you, the stars must have been in alignment to bring the Regional Field Service Engineer there at just the right time! Good for you, even though it's a pain in the rear to have to have your car go back in...

I'm not worried and, honestly, fully expect that mine will throw a Gear warning light again...and that, as they say, the third time will be the charm...and that it will be fixed for good then. I wouldn't be so cavalier, except my dealership is quite close...and as long as I have a MINI loaner - and my Clubman doesn't have to be towed , I'm just trying to go with the flow... Of course, if we're away on a vacation and the thing "blows up" - and the closest MINI dealer is several hundred miles away...then you'll see my dark side.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:14 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Otra three times is the charm because that is how many times mine has shown. I wish my dealer was closer but they have been great every time they come down and pick mine up and leave me a loaner. I think my dealer was probaby waiting for the Regional Field Service Engineer they probably knew he was coming in and wanted to check with him before ordering any parts.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, looks as though I've reached the "charmed" state - it's back on again! Will call on Monday...I guess mine is now qualified.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Well today same thing with the amber gear icon and ! inside of it happened to Scrappy after I shut my car off.I turned my car back on and turned it off and the warning light was off.I checked the owner's manual and it says to take my car in for service as soon as possible.UGH

I will call Monday morning to make an appointment for warranty work.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:42 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Well today same thing with the amber gear icon and ! inside of it happened to Scrappy after I shut my car off.I turned my car back on and turned it off and the warning light was off.I checked the owner's manual and it says to take my car in for service as soon as possible.UGH

I will call Monday morning to make an appointment for warranty work.
I have had my MINI in for service three times for that icon. I just got him back yesterday, but they had to order a part for him so he is still showing that icon and probably will be until he is fixed.

Is this the first time your MINI had this warning light?

Old 08-02-2008, 06:13 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
I have had my MINI in for service three times for that icon. I just got him back yesterday, but they had to order a part for him so he is still showing that icon and probably will be until he is fixed.

Is this the first time your MINI had this warning light?
That sucks to hear but at least they found the cause of it and ordered the part.Post after the part is installed and let us know.

And yes this is first time Scrappy had displayed the amber gear icon since buying him back in April.Hopefully they will be able to diagnose the cause and fix it with a replacement part.And not give me the old "could not duplicate" speech.If I do get that from my SA I will direct him to this thread then.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Corey986
3rd Gear
3 times a charm for me...

1st time, replaced brake switch

2nd time, adjusted all cables and checked connectors (didn't make it out of the parking lot before I had them give me back my loaner/rental and try again a 3rd time)

3rd time, Even though the sales manager told the service guys to stop putzing around and change the shifter, Mini/BMW won't let them change it out because of cost until they can prove they tried everything else in the "book". So they had to take a day documenting and adjusting cables and checking connectors again before BMW approves replacing the shifter. Sucks and I was pissed at the dealer until I read here that Otra is getting the same line, so I have to blame Mini not the dealer.

So in the end they replaced the shifter and all is well so far. So now I'm happy with the dealer... Won't buy another BMW product though based on this experience unless in the next few years I see BMW/MINI as a company getting their act together...

Picked up Mrs. Peel on Friday and no issues yet other than now waiting on a Sunroof fix...

Old 08-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Corey, though I'm sorry you've had to go through all these hoops...it is helpful for others to read about the whys and wherefores involved in the whole "fix" issue.

Enjoy Mrs. Peel and don't let her hear you even thinking about buying another car - BMW or not! Seriously, this is the first time I've ever had any ongoing problem with any of my MINIs, so let's hope once your sunroof is fixed that you'll be in your MINI for the long haul.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
My MINI is not fixed yet but at least I know the part is on order, not sure how long of a wait though. I am going to check with my SA tomorrow. We have plans to go to the New York State Fair in Syracuse leaving August 27th and returning on August 31 and I want to take my MINI.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
My first service visit today (on this issue or otherwise). They tried adjustments to the cables, etc., but the fault continued to show up. Replacement of the shifter assembly is what they believe is necessary, but the parts are on back order and it could be several weeks before they come in. They assure me, however, that there is no safety issue with the vehicle.

Seems as if this is a pretty widespread problem; here's hoping there aren't a lot of other ones....

Old 08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vinnieKC
My first service visit today (on this issue or otherwise). They tried adjustments to the cables, etc., but the fault continued to show up. Replacement of the shifter assembly is what they believe is necessary, but the parts are on back order and it could be several weeks before they come in. They assure me, however, that there is no safety issue with the vehicle.

Seems as if this is a pretty widespread problem; here's hoping there aren't a lot of other ones....

It seems to be affecting the automatics. That is great that they are ordering the part after only one service call. My MINI has been in three times. When was your MINI built?

Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
It seems to be affecting the automatics. That is great that they are ordering the part after only one service call. My MINI has been in three times. When was your MINI built?
March 2008.

I was pretty pleased that they understood the problem right away (and, if they had had the parts, could have done the work today). Also, the dealer is near by and driving a 6-speed Cooper S for a day as a loaner wasn't so bad....

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes