Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 01:36 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, where do you live vinnie? I may have to drive out there. I am still awaiting a real reply as to my next step - the third appointment.

Just remember sometimes this issue has made it difficult to remove the "key" from the ignition...for a while I was carrying both sets with me.

The past few days have been somewhat cooler around here and the warning light has not come back on...we shall see...

P.S. I've driven the manual Clubman and really liked it, would have loved to have gotten one for the mpgs, but the old shoulder probably wouldn't have liked it in the long run. I do find this "new" automatic to be fantastic and it's another world from the former CVT - much, much better.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
They are picking up my car on August 20th the part is on its way from Germany.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Update
This morning I took my '08 MCSa in for my scheduled 10 a.m. service appointment to have the amber gear warning light looked at and repaired.

The tech found the code stored on my key fob and when it first began and traced the problem.This is what the repair order states:

"Shift linkage misadjusted inter fault memory.Found fault AOB6 shift interlock signal or value above threshold.Found shift linkage and position switch on transmission misadjusted.Readjusted switch and linkage and cleared faults.Test drove to verify shifter worked properly.OK."

I can feel a bit more tension now when moving the shifter and it no longer has that loose kind of feeling anymore.

My SA told me that this could have come from the factory that way and took time for the bolt to eventually work itself loose.

Anyway my car is now fixed.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I hope it will remain fixed - perhaps yours will!

Alas, I've been back twice for the same "adjustment" and...it's back on again! As most everyone has posted previously, this appears to be an issue that is just not being dealt with in the most efficient way for the true and lasting fix.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
I hope it will remain fixed - perhaps yours will!

Alas, I've been back twice for the same "adjustment" and...it's back on again! As most everyone has posted previously, this appears to be an issue that is just not being dealt with in the most efficient way for the true and lasting fix.
Thank you Otra.

And yes I will certainly keep track of it and if it keeps happening then MINI USA will get an earful from me since they are well aware of it.If they have to repair the same problem for a 3rd time I will ask for a replacement MCS or a buyback.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:46 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Well, add us to the ever-growing list of those affected with the "amber gear icon" issue. I'd been randomly watching this thread wondering if we would end up as part of the group, when Monday (with approx. 2500 mi. on the odo.) it happened! Returned home from getting groceries around 11:00AM (where the car sat outside in the hot sun for a couple hours). Turns out it was one of the hottest days this summer with a heat index of 100+ and overwhelming humidity (even more than usual around here ). Pulled into the garage as usual, put it in Park, shut the engine off, glanced back at the tach area and there it was! Had a little difficulty pulling the key out but finally got it.

Called the dealer and they said they were well aware of the problem, so we could bring it in right away and they would diagnose/fix it, or keep an eye on it and see if/when it happens again. Because we haven't driven the car again since then, it hasn't had the chance to re-occur. Therefore, we've opted to watch it for a while since the solutions so far seem to be "hit & miss", at best. From what I've learned, I expect it will happen again once the circumstances are just right, namely driving then sitting in intense heat causing the shift-interlock to swell. Our local dealership is close and has been very good so far, therefore I expect once there is a confirmed and proper fix available, they'll take care of it for us. I just hope it doesn't involve too many trips and major disassembly of our Clubbie.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Sorry to hear the Gear Cog hath struck again! Good to know your Service Dept. was familiar...now if only all Service Departments would receive a missive from the MINI Mothership that they should really fix this problem.

Here's hoping it's not a long time coming. Still awaiting word from "on high" here in the NY/CT area.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:28 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Appreciate the camaraderie, Otra! Hope the third time really is the charm when it comes to getting yours fixed right. While my dealer is more than willing to look at it and attempt to fix it, we all know how that goes sometimes. Hopefully, MINI will soon put out a recall or TSB with a definitive answer for all of us. Good Luck on your next visit!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:00 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
There is only one fix for this problem and it requires your dealer/Mini to replace the shifter mechanism. Pretty big job but it does solve the problem. My dealer didn't waste a lot of time messing around with this issue. They gave me a loaner car and took care of the Gear light/shifter problem on my second visit in along with a few other warranty issues. I've put almost 1,200 miles on my car since the shifter was replaced and no issues.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Russ, tell me is your dealership a "company store" or is it privately owned? Apparently some dealerships are BMW/MINI enterprises, while many others are not. According to my sources this makes a big difference in certain areas.. I don't know if this is one of them, but it's beginning to seem like it.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:26 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Russ, tell me is your dealership a "company store" or is it privately owned? Apparently some dealerships are BMW/MINI enterprises, while many others are not. According to my sources this makes a big difference in certain areas.. I don't know if this is one of them, but it's beginning to seem like it.
Hi Otra,

It is BMW/Mini of Concord, CA. They are a fairly large dealership but I think they are privately owned. They are very customer service oriented and it shows from the sales end of things to the service. It's all first class. I've had a few issues with my car (a few major including the gear light/shifter and a few minor cosmetic/trim issues.) Every last one of those issues was addessed immediately and to my satisfaction. My car was always given back to me clean as well. I was treated great by everyone involved. My car is running great and looks great and I'm very happy with it. FWIW the service dept is located in the BMW side of the dealership. My sales experience was also great as well. I was disappointed to find out that they are now charging a mark-up on Minis as I paid MSRP with no hidden costs at delivery. I would highly recommend this dealer for sales and service for those reading who may be located in the SF Bay Area.

East Bay Mini in Pleasanton, CA is owned by Hendrick which is a large auto dealership chain. Heard good things about them too regarding sales and service. Haven't heard too many good things about Mini of SF and Mini of Mountain View which I think are also privately owned.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Update

Well the gear icon warning light came back after only one friggin day when I stopped off this afternoon at Vista MINI to speak with my SA and get the MINI Service Bulletin number for the heater core insulation relating to another thread in this sub forum.

Anyway the light came on right when I turned off my car in front of the dealership service area.The tech was called up and brought Scrappy back in to diagnose what code was now being thrown.My SA and the tech mentioned something about a "PUMA" being sent to MINI directly and they will determine what to repair this time.I have to bring Scrappy back on Monday.

I will know more either on Monday or Tuesday.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:12 PM
mact
1st Gear
My wife and I are thinking of buying a new 2009 Mini Cooper Sport but after reading all of these posts, I am becoming very concerned. I don't want to go out and pay a lot of money to buy a lemon. I want a good, reliable and dependable car. I just wonder if the MCS is worth it? Have they resolved the shift interlock problem for the 2009?

Old 08-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Honestly, mact - I've NEVER had any problems with my two previous MINIs and, if you read through this thread...as much as everyone's complained - ultimately this issue (with automatics from 2008) has been fixed. Some of us are just dealing with it by venting our spleens... Not to belittle it, it's annoying and has, for some, caused real problems - but remember on these Internet sites one tends to hear about the problems of a relatively small number of people who take the time to find their way here and sniff out topics or start them. There are countless MINI owners who never come on to a discussion forum.

This particular issue is really not a big deal and should be fixed without so much ado...It just appears that some of us are having a bit of frustration...and if one lives far from a dealership that always compounds problems.

As I said, my two previous MINIs (CVT - the old automatic) had no problems at all.

Call up 1-866-ASK-MINI and ask for a Customer Rep and tell them your concerns.

P.S. Russ, thanks for your input. I'm keeping the faith and will report back...though I'm headed off for a vacation for the next week or so...and won't be bringin' my laptop.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
mact
1st Gear
Dude, I seem to be getting better information on this site. I've already called Ask-Mini and have received misleading or incorrect answers to my questions. I'm hoping that Mini is replacing bad parts with good ones. Good luck to all in getting their issues resolved properly. Thanks for your reply. and bear it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:29 AM
Corey986
3rd Gear
I thought the franchise laws in the states prevented car companies from owning dealerships. This is why in europe you can goto a factory store, but in the US you have to goto a dealer.

Old 08-08-2008, 03:45 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Just reporting what I've been told. I may have my terms slightly wrong with regard to the differences between - for example Westchester MINI vs. MINI of Fairfield County. MoFC is my dealership...but I digress.

Back to the Gear Cog Warning Light.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:32 AM
mellotron
3rd Gear
Wow I'm sorry to hear that some of your dealerships are trying things that don't work. RussKeys is right, they should be replacing the shift mechanism. I feel very lucky that my SA knew what was going on and ordered the replacement right away. I wonder if the fact that I noted the conditions under which it was happening (after driving, 85 degree heat or above) on the paperwork when I dropped the car off, had anything to do with it. It does take a while to discover that it isn't just random, that it only happens when you've been driving a while & the car gets hot.

Here's hoping you all get the fix and back to motoring as soon as possible!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Amen! It's getting old.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Minor update

My SA called me yesterday morning before I was to leave for the dealership to have the trans shift interlock rechecked again.He told me that they got the report from the PUMA they sent to MINI and it came back to replace the shifter mechanism after all.

But the shifter mechanism is on back order and he will contact me as soon as it arrives to set up an appointment for the installation.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:23 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the shifter mechanism has been revised (Different part number for original), it seems to me MINI is replacing the same defective part for another defective part until the time comes to find and implement a permanent fix. Sorry to rain on the parade, but it looks like MINI and the dealer network are throwing darts in a pitch black room.

I still think this is a software issue, not a hardware problem. But that is me.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Unless the shifter mechanism has been revised (Different part number for original), it seems to me MINI is replacing the same defective part for another defective part until the time comes to find and implement a permanent fix. Sorry to rain on the parade, but it looks like MINI and the dealer network are throwing darts in a pitch black room.

I still think this is a software issue, not a hardware problem. But that is me.
No offense but you really aren't easing any of our minds here I am just speaking for myself. I am curious what makes you an expert on these issues that many of us are having? Did you have the same problem? My SA is the expert and after three times they are replacing my shifter mechanism and I know that will fix the problem. There are just way too many of us with the same problem and the ones that have the shifter mechanism already replaced are not having the problem any longer.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:57 AM
MiniEnvy
3rd Gear
Well just to let everyone know I have had the gear shift mechanism replaced about a month ago. It has been very hot here in Colorado during the last month and I have yet to experience any problems. Not saying what might happen in the upcoming months or nextsummer when it heats up again.

I do understand where ClubmanS is coming from and I think his logic is very valid. He is just telling the truth, and the truth sometimes hurts. Anyway I really want to believe that the batch of cars just had the gear shift mechanism installed incorrectly from the factory. My SA did say that when the Technician took it apart something looked like it was installed incorrectly from the factory. I don't remember what it was and I don't know if they said this to ease my mind or if it was the truth. Only time will tell.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Minor update

My SA called me yesterday morning before I was to leave for the dealership to have the trans shift interlock rechecked again.He told me that they got the report from the PUMA they sent to MINI and it came back to replace the shifter mechanism after all. ...
What does PUMA stand for? Are you saying that there is now a bulletin out about this particular issue with the 2008 automatics, or at least that it is out about some of the automatics from '08?

I am out of town and have not been in touch with my service advisor since I last called him to say that my warning light had come on again since the last "adjustment"... Would love to think that there was finally a bulletin...so that this next time, it would be replaced.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:04 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
What does PUMA stand for? Are you saying that there is now a bulletin out about this particular issue with the 2008 automatics, or at least that it is out about some of the automatics from '08?

I am out of town and have not been in touch with my service advisor since I last called him to say that my warning light had come on again since the last "adjustment"... Would love to think that there was finally a bulletin...so that this next time, it would be replaced.
Boy, I can only hope there's some sort of bulletin or PUMA (fingers crossed)! The amber gear icon has shown its ugly face several more times in our Clubman since its first occurence on 8/4, and we are now scheduled for a service appointment this Friday at noon. We didn't drive the car again until the following Sunday, and then on the way home from church it popped up again after leaving it out in the heat for a couple hours. It has also happened a few more times since then (along with difficulty removing the key) so we know there's a consistent problem.

The unfortunate part is that this time when we talked to a different service tech. on the phone, he said that they haven't run into this problem before so they'll just have to take a look at it and see - Doesn't give me a good feeling at all! He also said he couldn't promise us a "loaner" for a couple weeks since they only have one , and it's already scheduled (even though we bought it there) . Because it's happening so often now, we don't dare wait that long so we'll take our chances and hopefully, they'll figure it out in a couple hours. All in all, I don't have much confidence they'll fix it on the first try, and this might be the beginning of several attempts. For the record, our Clubman was built in the suspect March/April timeframe mentioned earlier. I plan to mention the shifter mechanism for whatever good it might do.

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 08-13-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes