Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck, but don't get your hopes up for the first visit unless they've issued a bulletin...or "PUMA" - will look forward to the definition of that acronym down the line.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:08 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 years, 4 MINIs and over 100K miles combined under my belt. My first MINI was a 2002. Been there done that. Trust me, I have had some experience in this regard.

Give that new shifter another 10K-30K miles. If the light doesn't comeback, them we'll know there was a defective batch of shifters. Otherwise, I ain't holding my breath.

Originally Posted by MJB MINI
No offense but you really aren't easing any of our minds here I am just speaking for myself. I am curious what makes you an expert on these issues that many of us are having? Did you have the same problem? My SA is the expert and after three times they are replacing my shifter mechanism and I know that will fix the problem. There are just way too many of us with the same problem and the ones that have the shifter mechanism already replaced are not having the problem any longer.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:28 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
6 years, 4 MINIs and over 100K miles combined under my belt. My first MINI was a 2002. Been there done that. Trust me, I have had some experience in this regard.

Give that new shifter another 10K-30K miles. If the light doesn't comeback, them we'll know there was a defective batch of shifters. Otherwise, I ain't holding my breath.

That's fine you really know your MINI I don't want to start an angry discussion here I was just curious why you thought you were an expert. I take it you are not having the same problem as all of us here are. I was wondering if you have ever had this problem with your MINI or any of your MINIS? My SA told me that they had to wait for the part to be released from Germany so I do believe that it is a legitimate part and not a defective part.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Perhaps the best questions might be about the *"new automatic" and whether or not something different was done with its shifter mechanism for the 2008s?

My experience, up until my 2008 MCCa, has been limited to the now discontinued CVT automatic MINI.

*by using "new" I did, indeed mean to mark the difference between the CVT and the AISIN, but my acronyms failed me at the original time of this post.

Last edited by Otra; 08-18-2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The AISIN 6-speed automatic and related components has been used by MINI in production since early 2005. So this is not some "all new" transmission that they have never seen before. The AISIN began its life in the 2005 R52 and R53 Cooper S models (Jan 2005 production onwards). So it is been almost 4 years that MINI has been offering this transmission.

The CVT (Which I had and drove for 6 years) was exclusive to the R50 and R52 Cooper models and was a totally different beast made by manufacturer ZF in Belgium.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:49 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have had the amber "gear" light shown up on my 6 month old Clubman S (4K miles) like 3-5 times ever since I got the car. The last time it lighted up was like 3 weeks ago and its been fine since. This is the only 'glitch' I have had with this otherwise flawless car.

Sorry to be so brutally honest, but in my experience of owning MINIs and countless other makes I have found that manufacturers often "react" to creeping problems by randomly changing parts and often these swaps involve replacing the same defective part for another defective part.

Like I said, unless the actual part numbers have changed and/or there is an official MINI issued technical service bulletin identifying a concrete problem with a certain batch of shifters, I am not holding my breath. A PUMA report is the first line of "defense" when issues begin to crop up and reports are generated by the dealership body and sent back to the manufacturer to trace back and determine where problems are originating and why.

We all (myself included) would like to see a final fix, but I am not rushing to get down to my dealer and have them take apart my new car in hopes that they will "fix it". I still think this is a software issue because of how infrequent it happens (at least to me).

Being a computer guy by trade, I tend to fault the code before the actual hardware.

There is no need to get defensive. All I am trying to do here is to bring some perspective into the issue and help you approach the problem from a more realistic point of view.

Problems on a new car are the most frustrating thing in the world, no matter how small they may be. Having your new $20K-$30K toy broken is not fun at all.

Originally Posted by MJB MINI
That's fine you really know your MINI I don't want to start an angry discussion here I was just curious why you thought you were an expert. I take it you are not having the same problem as all of us here are. I was wondering if you have ever had this problem with your MINI or any of your MINIS? My SA told me that they had to wait for the part to be released from Germany so I do believe that it is a legitimate part and not a defective part.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
As promised I would let everyone know what PUMA was that my SA kept mentioning to me.When he called me this afternoon to update me on the part ordered I asked him what PUMA means.

So here it is:

My SA doesn't know what the acronym for PUMA means but he explained this to me.When my MCSa was plugged into the OBD II port the information from it would get passed on to the local field rep and also to the engineers in Germany simultaneously so they could monitor and diagnose what the cause was.Then reported back to my SA to order a new shifter mechanism for my car.My SA said the part will ship most likely next Monday and should arrive within the week or the following week.Once it arrives I will be contacted to bring Scrappy in for the installation.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:46 AM
MonaB
Neutral
This is my first post, and it's to say thanks for providing me with the knowledge to approach my service department prepared.

I actually called my Motoring Advisor yesterday and explained the problem with my MCSa. His response was that it sounded like a sensor. Because of this forum I was able to assure him that it was neither a sensor, nor was it a matter of cable adjustment. He said he would have the service coordinator call me back shortly.

I received that call within about twenty minutes. He had me describe the problem, said he would order a new shift assembly today, and call me to schedule the repair as soon as the part arrived.

Apparently, they first encountered this problem about two months ago, and have since repaired four or five. So, smooth sailing thanks to knowledge!

Oh, and Roadshow MINI in Cordova (Memphis) rocks!

Last edited by MonaB; 08-15-2008 at 06:48 AM. Reason: Added model
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 AM
MonaB
Neutral
It's all good!

Originally Posted by kdonn
Me too, me too. I think MiniEnvy may have it right, at least for my wife's '08. She first noticed it on Friday which happened to be our first 95+ degree day here in Little Rock. The primary symptom is that the car doesn't seem to realize that it's in Park. The indicator says P on the shift lever, but nevertheless the gear icon shows and the nav system complains that the car isn't in Park. Also the key may or may not be easily released from the dock. It seems a bit random. The P lamp on the shift lever will continue to glow red long after the car has been turned off and exited.

I picked her brain yesterday and it seemed to match the symptoms MiniEnvy described, i.e that it only manifests when the car is actually exposed to high temps. On all three mornings of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, it was fine. After the first drive on all three days it exhibited the problem. Once it was allowed to cool off in the garage, it would always go back to working fine.

We're 130mi from our dealer, so I'm not liking all this talk of leaving the car overnight waiting on parts and futile diagnostics.

She hasn't named her car, but its name will be "Mud" if this sort of thing continues.

kd
Because of your being in Little Rock, I'm wondering if we have the same dealer, Roadshow in Cordova. If so, you won't have any problems with your repair. I've just posted about my experience. I spoke first with Carl MA and then with Todd Fulford SA and my part is on order.

I had similar concerns as you since I'm 120 miles in the other direction. I didn't wan't to be running back and forth down the "primrose path" of jumping through repair hoops...

Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Welcome to NAM MonaB

As you will notice with this online community we all try to help each other with our MINIs whether related to repairs,warranty work,modifying,good and bad dealerships and the list goes on

Old 08-15-2008, 08:04 AM
MonaB
Neutral
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Welcome to NAM MonaB

As you will notice with this online community we all try to help each other with our MINIs whether related to repairs,warranty work,modifying,good and bad dealerships and the list goes on
Thank you, Jim, for the welcome! I'm so happy to have discovered NAM.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I think I'll have to move to Memphis! Very impressed by your recount MonaB - your SA sounds unusual to me. Good for you all!

I also understand where you're coming from ClubmanS, and didn't take your responses negatively. I've read enought of your posts to know you're a very knowlegable and helpful member of the MINI community.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Well, we went in for our service call today and just as anticipated, they merely diagnosed the problem and had to order the parts (a new shifter mechanism ). We were only there a little over an hour so I can't be too upset at this point since the dealership's only about 15 min. away and it's always fun to go look at MINIs and snack on yummy chocolate chip cookies while we wait. They said the parts should be here in 3-4 days and they'll schedule us for an appointment at that time. Since it's only supposed to take a couple hours for the repair, we'll probably wait for it. I just hope this will fix it permanently, though I have my doubts considering ClubmanS' thoughts about a software glitch. Not that we have much choice at this stage since the gear icon popped up on the way home again, confirming that it's almost a daily occurence now.

BTW, welcome to the group, MonaB! Consider youself lucky you got an SA willing to take your word for it and order the parts in advance (though it only makes good sense considering the inconvenience they would have put you through otherwise).

Old 08-15-2008, 05:19 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
I've put about 2,100 miles on my car since having the shifter replaced and all is good . I don't think it was a software glitch. I just think there was a bad batch of shifters installed in our cars. Most of the folks reporting here seem to have February / March build cars.

Last edited by RussKeys; 08-15-2008 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RussKeys
I've put about 2,100 miles on my car since having the shifter replaced and all is good . I don't think it was a software glitch. I just think there was a bad batch of shifters installed in our cars. Most of the folks reporting here seem to have February / March build cars.
That could very well be and good deduction being that my production date is February 27,2008 as stored on my car computer and March 2008 from the dealership print out.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM
MonaB
Neutral
Thanks for the welcome!

Old 08-15-2008, 06:10 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
That's encouraging, Russ. Do you happen to know if the replacement shifter is the same part no. or has a revision been made?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:48 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
That's encouraging, Russ. Do you happen to know if the replacement shifter is the same part no. or has a revision been made?
I would imagine it is the same part number as the one replaced. Probably a new lot# though: Here is the shifter assy # as reported in my repair invoice:

1 25-16-7-577-589 Gearshift Assy, Steptronic:251030

Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
I would imagine it is the same part number as the one replaced. Probably a new lot# though: Here is the shifter assy # as reported in my repair invoice:

1 25-16-7-577-589 Gearshift Assy, Steptronic:251030
Ahhh, thanks for the more detailed info.; gives me something to compare to on my paperwork.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Once again, Russ, many thanks for the helpful information.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:48 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Thank you Russ for posting the replacement shifter part number

Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I was checking REALOEM.com and the part number given for the automatic shifter steptronic assembly (2007 model year) is:

The new part number is different. OK that gives some hope. Let's give these replacement shifters 10K-20K mile workout and if the light doesn't comeback, then we all can sing victory.

By the way, my Clubman was assembled the third week of January 2008.

Linky here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...48&hg=25&fg=20

Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
As promised I would let everyone know what PUMA was that my SA kept mentioning to me.When he called me this afternoon to update me on the part ordered I asked him what PUMA means.

So here it is:

My SA doesn't know what the acronym for PUMA means.....

PUMA: Parallel Universal Message passing Architecture.

Something that is taught at the BMW training school on day one when they teach SAs how to get the entire Mini/BMW organisation involved in communicating and resolving a technical problem.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:15 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
been a few weeks since they replaced the shifter mechanism and no more amber light problems.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:34 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Ian Venieri
PUMA: Parallel Universal Message passing Architecture.

Something that is taught at the BMW training school on day one when they teach SAs how to get the entire Mini/BMW organisation involved in communicating and resolving a technical problem.
Excellent and thank you Ian and I am sure others will appreciate that information for the description also

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes