Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:38 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Ian Venieri! Now, I can go forward into the breach armed properly! It's very helpful to be able to communicate using the proper terms. Thanks again to everyone who's been involved with getting the proper info out on this thread.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:41 AM
boostednorm
3rd Gear
This just occurred to my 08 MCSa March build. Just got back from a trip and after parking, I got the icon. Just passed 4000 miles. First time I've driven for an extended period of time this summer (+80f). I have comfort access so I never noticed if the key would get stuck or not. I'll be calling today for an appointment.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:39 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by harold47
been a few weeks since they replaced the shifter mechanism and no more amber light problems.
Very glad to hear that, Harold! IIRC, we "came over on the boat" together , so I guess that means many of us Week 11'ers got stuck with some bad shifters. Interestingly enough, I was thinking back to that time and wondering if any of our other shipmates have been affected by this...then all of a sudden, up pops "boostednorm" ! Welcome to "the club", Norm! I'm enjoying the reunion although I'm sure we would have much rather had something else in common than this little problem with our MINIs. We hope to be going in for the shifter replacement toward the end of the week and I certainly hope that's the end of it. It'll be interesting to see if anybody else from Week 11 or 12 shows up.

BTW, I actually thought the PUMA explanation was a joke at first because of the "Parallel Universe" reference. Makes sense though, so my thanks as well, Ian Venieri!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:31 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
My MINI gets picked up tomorrow. They are replacing the shifter mechanism and was told by my SA that my vehicle won't be done until Friday. He also told me that quite a few MINIS have had this problem. I know that some think it could be the high temperatures outside that are causing this icon. I disagree and the reason why is because I live in upstate New York and the gear icon has come up for me in chilly temperatures also.

Last edited by MJB MINI; 08-19-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:37 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Week 14 here.

Guess I'll try again with my SA and see if they've gotten the OK from above to fix this thing for good.

Has anyone ever had this impact their ability to actually drive their MINI? That's my lurking fear.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:44 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Week 14 here.

Guess I'll try again with my SA and see if they've gotten the OK from above to fix this thing for good.

Has anyone ever had this impact their ability to actually drive their MINI? That's my lurking fear.
I am a week 13 here.

I have been able to drive my MINI without any problems but when the icon shows up my key does stick. My husband did drive my MINI once and said he could tell a difference in the way it shifted and I did relay that information to my SA to make sure there were no issues in that regard and it is all related so I do believe that once we all get our shifter mechanisms replaced we will all be fixed.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:49 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for that info., appreciate it.

Good luck and when I finally get what I'm after, I'll post.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Otra...I know why you are concerned about the drivability issue, but if it was a major problem like that then MINIs everywhere would be *PARKED* and none of us have parked ours'. MINI would have also issued a Recall...not happened yet.

We took Molly in this AM and hubby picked her up about 3:30ish this afternoon, so long as your dealer has ordered the parts the fix can be done in a few hours.

Here is what the RO says, "A Cog symbol displays in the Warning Area after car is shut off"..."Checked for Faults. CAS - A0B6 Selector-Lever interlock. Found SI M24 01 08 Related to the Fault A0B6. Per Bulleting(?) completed Gearshift Selector Cable Adjustment. Cleared Code and Retested, Could not duplicate Fault again." Granted it has cooled off considerably, but warmer weather is forecast for this weekend, so we will see if in fact the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps!!

Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Otra...I know why you are concerned about the drivability issue, but if it was a major problem like that then MINIs everywhere would be *PARKED* and none of us have parked ours'. MINI would have also issued a Recall...not happened yet.

We took Molly in this AM and hubby picked her up about 3:30ish this afternoon, so long as your dealer has ordered the parts the fix can be done in a few hours.

Here is what the RO says, "A Cog symbol displays in the Warning Area after car is shut off"..."Checked for Faults. CAS - A0B6 Selector-Lever interlock. Found SI M24 01 08 Related to the Fault A0B6. Per Bulleting(?) completed Gearshift Selector Cable Adjustment. Cleared Code and Retested, Could not duplicate Fault again." Granted it has cooled off considerably, but warmer weather is forecast for this weekend, so we will see if in fact the problem is fixed.

Hope this helps!!
I hate to tell you this my MINI has gone in three times for this and finally they are picking him up today and will be replacing the shifter mechanism this is like a two day job. I have had the cables adjusted etc..... and this is only a short fix. It seems like the only thing that is fixing our MINIS is to replace the shifter mechanism, when they adjusted the gearshift cable on my MINI it took about three weeks before the icon came back on but it did.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:16 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Right, mine came back on the same day as the last time they "adjusted" the cables, too. I'm waiting until 1. it comes back on again (it went off when the temperatures around here went down) and 2. when I have time to give the car up for several days for the final fix... MINI willing to fix it that is.

So I guess this PUMA is not the same as an official bulletin that tells all dealerships' Service Advisors to fix the shifters by replacing them the first time around... So the sagas will continue?

But I do want to thank you RJKimbell for thinking of me with my concerns of being stranded somewhere...and I guess you're right about us all being "parked" somewhere if there were to be a complete failure. That's a plus, anyway.

Old 08-20-2008, 07:35 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear

Hope this helps!!
I also had the Door Seals installed too. My SA left me a message inquiring if what was installed was what I wanted...yes!! I returned her message and let her know that I thought the problem was fixed, but if not she will be hearing from me. Molly is due an Oil Change in 2500 miles anyway, so unless something else comes up she will be driven, loved and cared for as ALWAYS!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 06:20 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Okay I am scheduled to bring Scrappy in Monday at 9:30 am to have the replacement automatic shifter and the heater core wrap installed under warranty.I just received a PM from Greg the MT (Motoring Technician) at my dealership that he has the parts and is waiting for my car.BTW he is a NAM member too.

Old 08-21-2008, 07:43 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
I just got a call from my SA and my car is fixed they replaced the shifter mechanism so they are bringing ZIGGY back home. They also replaced the rear light because I noticed that when I washed him it was fogging up so some moisture was getting in.

I can't wait ZIGGY is coming home

Old 08-21-2008, 05:23 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
MJB MINI that is great news to hear

Old 08-21-2008, 07:58 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Good for you MJB, I'm sure you'll be happy to have your Ziggy back home.

My gear light came on again... One of these days, I'll get it back in and hopefully fixed...of course I may have to go to another state where one of you all live.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Otra and Jim trust me get your shifter mechanism replaced, look at I think it was Harold that posted the part # and everything they had to do. They did the same thing to my vehicle and we were out for a long drive today 3 hours up to a doctor's appt. and over 3 hours back with numerous stops and starts and ZIGGY drove like a charm. My hubby could tell a definite difference and this was all in 90 degree temperatures and above. I am sorry it is not a software glitch or the high temperatures that caused this gear light to come on.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Believe me, I'm going to call again. My initial annoyance ebbed due to being busy/away, etc., but next week I'll place the call. Thanks for your encouragement - sometimes we all need a prod or two.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:01 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
MJB MINI yup as posted before Scrappy is going in Monday at 9:30 am for the replacement of the shifter mechanism and the heater core wrap.

And I am so glad to hear everything went fine with your long drive in ZIGGY which is very encouraging to hear

Old 08-22-2008, 06:12 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I'm pissed. I took my MINI in for service on Monday and provided a link to this thread and others to notify the service department what needed to be done. It's now Friday night and my MINI is still there. They are replacing the shifter but they are letting other scheduled service appointments ahead of me and telling me they have a few service people out sick. I want my damn MINI back, not this tank BMW 328 that has no power or go kart handling. They say I might get it back tomorrow.

Last edited by TWISTER; 08-22-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:24 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
Well I pissed. I took my MINI in for service on Monday and provided a like to this thread and others to notify the service department what needed to be done. It's now Friday night and my MINI is still there. They are replacing the shifter but they are letting other scheduled service appointments ahead of me and telling me they have a few service people out sick. I want my damn MINI back, not this tank BMW 328 that has no power or go kart handling. They say I might get it back tomorrow.
TWISTER I know that totally sucks but unfortunately there aren't a lot of certified MINI techs at the dealerships.Heck my dealership has only 3 certified techs there but hopefully the dealerships will train and add more techs since there are so many MINIs on the road now.At least they gave you a loaner car which is good to hear.

Good luck and let us know when you can.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:07 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
my car was in the shop for 11 days when they finally switched out the shift mechanism and all.

very happy to report, it has been quite a while now, and NO amber light or any other. I agree, the dealerships all must know about this problem and should have the parts in stock and be prepared for these issues, but, it seems they don't want to invest the $ in the inventory before they can get the parts free under the warranty as a mini defect replacement.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by harold47
my car was in the shop for 11 days when they finally switched out the shift mechanism and all.

very happy to report, it has been quite a while now, and NO amber light or any other. I agree, the dealerships all must know about this problem and should have the parts in stock and be prepared for these issues, but, it seems they don't want to invest the $ in the inventory before they can get the parts free under the warranty as a mini defect replacement.
Wow in the shop for 11 days!?! Geez.Anyway I am glad they replaced it and everything is working great now.

Yeah unfortunately the shifter mechanism is probably fairly costly to keep in stock plus I would imagine there aren't a lot of spare ones right now.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
I hate to tell you this my MINI has gone in three times for this and finally they are picking him up today and will be replacing the shifter mechanism this is like a two day job. I have had the cables adjusted etc..... and this is only a short fix. It seems like the only thing that is fixing our MINIS is to replace the shifter mechanism, when they adjusted the gearshift cable on my MINI it took about three weeks before the icon came back on but it did.
IT'S BACK!!!
Yep...came back on tonight after it supposedely got fixed on Tuesday. I just received the August 2008 Newsletter from my dealer, it said that Service was open Saturday, will be calling first thing. Not sure what they can do on Saturday without parts, but maybe can drop her off, pick up a loaner and FINALLY get if fixed for good.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:06 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
IT'S BACK!!!
Yep...came back on tonight after it supposedely got fixed on Tuesday. I just received the August 2008 Newsletter from my dealer, it said that Service was open Saturday, will be calling first thing. Not sure what they can do on Saturday without parts, but maybe can drop her off, pick up a loaner and FINALLY get if fixed for good.
I know that after they replace your shifter mechanism all will be well with your MINI, for some reason they have to go through all the other options before they replace the mechanism. The part # is posted on this thread so when they replace yours you can compare part numbers that is what I did.

My MINI is filthy after the long drive yesterday so ZIGGY will be getting a bath.

Old 08-23-2008, 05:09 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Believe me, I'm going to call again. My initial annoyance ebbed due to being busy/away, etc., but next week I'll place the call. Thanks for your encouragement - sometimes we all need a prod or two.

Why isn't your dealer replacing the shift mechanism? Your gear icon has come on as many times as mine. If the part is still on backorder it only took my dealer about 3 weeks to get the part in.

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes