Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Amber gear icon showing... sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update
I got a call and an email before noon today from my SA that all the warranty work on Scrappy is completed and he ready to be picked up.
As previously mentioned in my post on 8-21 I had the shifter mechanism and the heater core wrap installed.

The gearshift lever assembly part number on my invoice is 9925-16-7-577-589.

The auto shifter feels nice and solid now when engaging the gears.

BTW I did print out the the individual posts from RussKeys #134 and mellotron #143 to give to my SA just in case.The fact that it takes time driving and heat for the problem to show up made a big difference since they typically only test drive for a short period after the repair.

Last edited by JCR1960; 08-26-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:59 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Glad to know my posts on this issue have been helpful to some.

3,000 miles and counting since having the shifter replaced. No problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:26 PM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
was there a heater core wrap issue?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TWISTER
was there a heater core wrap issue?
Yes there is for some NAM owner's and also for my '08 MCSa.I posted in there too.

Link: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=130821

Old 08-26-2008, 08:13 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Molly will be going in on Thursday Morning for the lGear Shift Interlock issue. Hopefully this will be that last time.

Hope everyone has a Nice and Relaxing Labor Day!!

Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 PM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
We are at the NY state fair in Syracuse. I miss ZIGGY though my hubby wanted to bring his Durango just in case we needed the room and we have bought quite a few things so maybe just as well. I bought a license plate that I had engraved, and a sheepskin cover for my steering wheel. I also found some cleaning supplies for my MINI that I think I might buy tomorrow. We are heading home on Sunday and have been here since Wednesday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day

Old 08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
We are at the NY state fair in Syracuse. I miss ZIGGY though my hubby wanted to bring his Durango just in case we needed the room and we have bought quite a few things so maybe just as well. I bought a license plate that I had engraved, and a sheepskin cover for my steering wheel. I also found some cleaning supplies for my MINI that I think I might buy tomorrow. We are heading home on Sunday and have been here since Wednesday.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day
Hey MJB MINI we also have a Durango, an '01 Black in Color, loaded with all options except Rear Air. How funny to have someone else own the same vehicles!!

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
Molly will be going in on Thursday Morning for the lGear Shift Interlock issue. Hopefully this will be that last time.

Hope everyone has a Nice and Relaxing Labor Day!!
Molly is home from the Dr. She actually had to spend the night last night. We had a rattle in the roof area between the Sun Roofs, I thought it was narrowed down to the light area, but the Dealership Mechanic found the rattle to be caused by broken parts or something in the Rear Sun Shade, so they replaced the Rear Sun Shade and now all is quite!! I believe the Cog Symbol is a thing of the past as well since it was quite warm out today and they only thing that Molly chimed about was needing a drink!!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:30 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
UPDATE:

Returned from the dealer yesterday after having the entire gearshift assembly replaced. Part number exactly matched that of RussKeys invoice (listed previously).

While there, they also replaced the cable on the club door release, as it had gotten stuck in the closed position a couple times in the last week. SA said it had gotten loose so rather than adjust it, they put in a new one since this has been a very common problem on almost every new Clubman they've sold. Entire service visit for both issues took 2 1/2 hrs. (including a wash) and hopefully, this will mark the end to the "amber gear icon" problem. I watched them do some of the repair, and most of the access was achieved from under the car while up on a lift (after dropping the exhaust), and the rest from under the hood. No problems on the way home, and so far today it hasn't been very hot due to lots of rain, so only time will tell.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:47 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
UPDATE:

Returned from the dealer yesterday after having the entire gearshift assembly replaced. Part number exactly matched that of RussKeys invoice (listed previously).

While there, they also replaced the cable on the club door release, as it had gotten stuck in the closed position a couple times in the last week. SA said it had gotten loose so rather than adjust it, they put in a new one since this has been a very common problem on almost every new Clubman they've sold. Entire service visit for both issues took 2 1/2 hrs. (including a wash) and hopefully, this will mark the end to the "amber gear icon" problem. I watched them do some of the repair, and most of the access was achieved from under the car while up on a lift (after dropping the exhaust), and the rest from under the hood. No problems on the way home, and so far today it hasn't been very hot due to lots of rain, so only time will tell.
You should be good to go. I've put 3000+ miles on my car since having the gearshift replaced and I've had no problems. My car has been running great. It has also been on average 105 degrees in my area this week.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:15 PM
Otra
6th Gear
All good news here. My gear warning light is still with me. Perhaps this week I'll call and see if my dealership can get with the program.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:29 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RussKeys
You should be good to go. I've put 3000+ miles on my car since having the gearshift replaced and I've had no problems. My car has been running great. It has also been on average 105 degrees in my area this week.
Thanks, that sounds very promising, Russ. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Otra
All good news here. My gear warning light is still with me. Perhaps this week I'll call and see if my dealership can get with the program.
Good Luck with your replacement, Otra! It took a full week for them to get the part after diagnosis and ordering; then only a couple hours to do the actual repair once we arrived for the second appointment.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:15 PM
RussKeys
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Man that sucks Otra. I can't believe your car hasn't been made right. Good luck. Keeping my fingers crossed for you that your baby will be properly fixed soon.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:24 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
UPDATE:

Great to hear that
Zero problems since my shifter was replaced

Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 AM
MonaB
Neutral
Well, I received an email on Friday that my shifter assembly was in. I called and was scheduled for replacement on Thursday, September 4, at 10:15. According to Roadshow, the fix should take about 2 hours.

I actually hadn't seen a lot of the gear icon for the past couple of weeks. The weather had cooled slightly, but yesterday we got back up into the "hellish" range and the icon reared it ugly little head again.

Thanks again to RussKeys and all of you for your informative responses. I'll let you know how everything goes.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:37 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
RJ Kimbell what a small world with us both having a MINI and a Dodge Durango. I am glad to see that your MINI has been fixed.

Otra I hope yours is fixed soon.

We made it home from the NY State Fair and couldn't wait to see ZIGGY my MINI all is well and no problems.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:28 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
MonaB good to hear about your appointment for the gearshift lever assembly replacement

Keep us posted after it is installed.

Also MJB MINI that is great news to hear

Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MJB MINI
RJ Kimbell what a small world with us both having a MINI and a Dodge Durango. I am glad to see that your MINI has been fixed..
MJB is your Durango Parked, like ours is?? It got driven this weekend a few trips to Homey Depot. Other than that, she gets left behind. Before Molly came home we used it to commute 32 miles round trip and got 12mpg. We were so glad when Molly finally came home!!

Old 09-02-2008, 05:51 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
MJB is your Durango Parked, like ours is?? It got driven this weekend a few trips to Homey Depot. Other than that, she gets left behind. Before Molly came home we used it to commute 32 miles round trip and got 12mpg. We were so glad when Molly finally came home!!
The Durango is parked we used it for the fair and my husband drives it back and forth to work which is only about 3 miles one way. We pretty much use the MINI for everything.

School started today for some of the public schools. My son does not go back until September 8 we are sending him to a private school which starts later than the public and also gets out earlier for summer vacation.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 AM
MonaB
Neutral
Update

Originally Posted by JCR1960
MonaB good to hear about your appointment for the gearshift lever assembly replacement

Keep us posted after it is installed.

Also MJB MINI that is great news to hear
Arrived early for my 10:15 appointment yesterday. My SM was out sick for the day, but the person in charge seemed to handle my complaint efficiently.

SM had informed me when the part was ordered that installation would take approximately 2 hours. Well, I finally called just over three hours later only to find that the mechanic wanted another three and one half hours. I explained what I had been told by the SM, and received a call about two hours later that my car was ready.

My MINI seems great. I experienced no gear icons on the 120-mile drive home. Of note, the temp was only in the 80s yesterday, and I have always felt this was a temperature related issue. Anyway, aside from the timing snafu, the experience was painless.

I love my MINI, and am pleased to have this issue resolved. Another thank you to RussKeys and everyone else for your competent information.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:39 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
^^MonaB great to hear all is working great after the repair

Regarding the extra time it took to complete just keep in mind that this is a new repair procedure so the times the techs take will be longer initially.I had to leave Scrappy overnight for the repair since this was the first time the tech was doing any shifter replacement on a Mini.

Anyway I know it has to be great to be back with your car again.

Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 PM
MonaB
Neutral
Originally Posted by JCR1960
^^MonaB great to hear all is working great after the repair

Regarding the extra time it took to complete just keep in mind that this is a new repair procedure so the times the techs take will be longer initially.I had to leave Scrappy overnight for the repair since this was the first time the tech was doing any shifter replacement on a Mini.

Anyway I know it has to be great to be back with your car again.
Thanks for your reply. It is good to have Winky repaired. As for the learning curve, Winky is actually the fourth or fifth upon which this dealership has performed this repair. I think the delay was that the SM was out yesterday.

Take care.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:34 PM
vinnieKC
2nd Gear
I've now passed over to the other side of the waiting/repaired ledger. My MINI was repaired on Friday morning. The part number on the invoice was 1 25-16-7-577-589 Gearshift Assy, Steptronic:251030, which we've seen before on this thread. Here's hoping that that's the end of the issue.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by vinnieKC
I've now passed over to the other side of the waiting/repaired ledger. My MINI was repaired on Friday morning. The part number on the invoice was 1 25-16-7-577-589 Gearshift Assy, Steptronic:251030, which we've seen before on this thread. Here's hoping that that's the end of the issue.
That is great to hear

Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 AM
MJB MINI
3rd Gear
It is great to hear that all the shifters are being replaced.

Otra any news?

I took my son to school today, he is in the 7th grade and he is starting a new private christian school in the area. He was apprehensive and nervous as was I. He got teary eyed and I did also. We are extremely close and have even considered homeschooling him with one of these online schools. I know this is totally off the MINI subject but has anyone heard anything about these online schools?

Quick Reply: Amber gear icon showing... sometimes