Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Wheel bearing problem. Anyone else has this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tekron
This is exactly how I fixed the problem too.... Just to be sure when you're driving next time, try this... but BE CAREFUL

When the sound is very prominent at the specified speeds.. (65 mph to be sure) try veering in your lane a little to the left and right. If the sound goes away when you're driving in the direction that you hit the curb in at the time, then it's your bearings. I hit a curb turning left, for example, and when I'd turn left the sound seemed to disappear slightly.
K, ive tried that a few times, the noise seems to be loudest when going to the left, quietest when going to the right. Another noise that has just started (dont know if it is connected to this problem) is almost like a grinding, somewhat like driving with worn out brake pads on rotor sound when turning to the left as well, going away when driving straight or to the right (brakes are good).

Old 01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Ok, so ive got prices from different places on the wheel hub, they range from $193 up to $450! The funny thing is the dealer isnt the most expensive!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
sjs21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, Toad, try this site, https://www.autohausaz.com/index.html
Just ordered front bearing for my 02 MCS yesterday, and shipped out right away and I will go pick up this afternoon. check the price, you will be surprised. lol

Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
sjs21
1st Gear
I had noise coming from both front and back corner, I thought I need replace both front and rear bearing, but after i changed 4 new tires, the back noise gone, as it turn out, only front right bearing need replacement. So, guys you really need to be sure about what issue cause the noise. could be both tires and bearings.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sjs21
Hey, Toad, try this site, https://www.autohausaz.com/index.html
Just ordered front bearing for my 02 MCS yesterday, and shipped out right away and I will go pick up this afternoon. check the price, you will be surprised. lol
Wow, thanks!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:41 AM
05Greenie
4th Gear
I have an 05 R50 just turning 135k miles. I recently noticed/felt a grinding noise/sensation in the wheel and floor every once in a while, like a low vibration when coming to a stop and sometimes turning left or right. I think I'm going to replace the front bearings and see if that helps. It certinally can't hurt, after 135k miles I'm suprised they lasted this long...

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
raven9mm
2nd Gear
Yep. I had no indication of wobble or anything, and I started to get a slight grinding noise out of the front when turning. 99k miles on them, I also figured it was about time. All better now that they are replaced. Took 1 hour to replace both.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:37 PM
gbooth4
Neutral
Think the Mini wheel bearing noise is a lubrication problem, especially on the rear bearings that don't have much load on them. If only you could get some heavy oil into them when they first get noisey, sure the noise would go away with some lubrication. Sounds like the bearings are running DRY, not worn out.
If only there was a way of getting some OIL into the bearing, like EP90 gear oil, just a drop to wet things up a bit, sure the noise would go away!

Old 10-29-2010, 08:06 PM
wdietz186
2nd Gear
The problem with most wheel bearings isn't from lubrication,It is caused by the ***** or the race getting small dents in them and the noise is created by the ***** running over them.Kind of like the expansion strips on a highway.I recently replaced a LF bearing on mine and knocked it apart to inspect it and found very tiny pits in the area of the race where the ***** run.The pitting was on the hub flange and as it is one piece it appears the race area wasn't hardened enough when the part was made.Plus I think 50k of use with run flats might have transferred a bit too much shock through the assembly.The only saving grace was it was easy to install if not exactly cheap.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:14 PM
gbooth4
Neutral
Thanks wdietz186, very interesting. The bearings are BALL bearings not ROLLER, no wonder they wear so fast.
Looks like I will have to order some new rear hubs for Christmas!

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:25 AM
wdietz186
2nd Gear
Straight roller bearings in a wheel bearing application would destroy themselves pretty quickly due to misalignment caused by turning.It would concentrate load on one end of the roller.Wheel bearings used are double row angular contact type to allow for sideloads in combination with radial loads. Tapered roller bearings would probably last forever but they are more expensive to produce and maintain.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 AM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Source for Bearings Only?

Has anyone found a source for the hub bearings by themselves? I ask because in the 35 years I've owned my VW Scirocco, I've changed hub bearings several times and it's dead easy. Providing you have a press and suitable tools to get the hub apart and back together properly. Seems like a waste to throw out an entire hub assembly just for the sake of a bearing.

Of course, I've only had my '04 S for two weeks so I'm still learning!!

Eric

Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 PM
msuspartan2009
1st Gear
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]wherf ..wherf… wherf or whhuuurrrrr...whhuuurrrr... whhuuurrrr, or whompf, whompf ..whompf or any thing close to a low growling type whirring noise especially over 45 mph where the noise is noticeable even with windows down or radio on is a likely sign that the bearings are like worn and due for replacing. I have had them go from 55k to 95k so it definitely is common and not just Coopers (Rendezvous & Chevy Blazers have a similar earlier than expected problem too). [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT='Times New Roman']I replaced one front hub and the difference was amazing!!!! [/FONT]

Old 11-01-2010, 04:29 PM
wdietz186
2nd Gear
The bearing race on the hub side is integral with the hub.There is no separate race to remove.It appears that they machine the race portion from the chunk that is the hub then they must induction harden it and finish grind it to spec.Probably cheaper to produce that way.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:38 PM
ericfreeman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wdietz186
The bearing race on the hub side is integral with the hub.There is no separate race to remove.It appears that they machine the race portion from the chunk that is the hub then they must induction harden it and finish grind it to spec.Probably cheaper to produce that way.
Bugger!! Figures BMW would make something like that. Simple VW design can be rebuilt countless times for much less $. Thanks for the explanation as it makes sense now why the entire hub needs replacement. Hope I don't have to do this on my 55k S for a while!!

Eric

Old 12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
MrCooperS
Bringing this thread back to life for a bit. My MINI starting hinting noises a couple thousand miles ago at a specific speed; at 30-37 mph at first. Makes a very faint vibrational rotating noise. The noise would also come and go depending on the temperature. Over time, it got worse. Now it's make noise all across the board at all speeds. At some speeds, it gets even louder. The noise is unbearable at all speeds. It is definitely a rotational noise because at low speeds it goes "worh...worh...worh" and at high speeds it goes "worhworhworhworhworh" I thought it was coming from the front passenger side so my friend replaced the wheel bearing on that side. But he says the sound is still there, and it sounds like it's still coming from the passenger side. I'm going to go and pick it up in 15 minutes and take a photo of the bearing that he pulled out. If I can't figure it out, I'm taking it to a dealer on Tuesday to have it looked at. I know for a fact it is not the tires, because I recently switched to my set of snow tires and the sound is still there. My questions is

-Could it be a CV joint or another problem in the front passenger side?
-Could it possibly be a bad wheel bearing on the front driver's side?
-What kind of problems can cause rotational vibration noise?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:01 PM
MrCooperS
Here's a video of the noise I just took.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pTa4...ayer_embedded#!

Photo of the bearing he took out:

I also notice as I was driving. While the car was cruising with the humming noise. The noise increased slightly as I veered left. The noise was either gone or very low when I veered right. Does this indicate which side the problem is? Or any indication what the problem may be?

Last edited by MrCooperS; 12-05-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:56 PM
wdietz186
2nd Gear
That certainly sounds like a wheel bearing. Can you get it on a lift or jack it up and run it? With the wheels off the ground you should be able to discern which side it is by using a screwdriver at your ear[pointy side down] and placing it on the top of the strut and running it in 3rd gear at idle. As far gone as they sound you could probably just feel it with your hand on the strut. Bearing noise from the rears can also sound like it's coming from the front too.The same diagnosis proceedure applies but you need to spin the wheel by hand and it is best to have the screwdriver on the area behind the wheelbearing.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 PM
MrCooperS
Well I'm glad it's a wheel bearing problem. I practically have no time since I'm graduating at the end of this month + the holidays + work + internship. I'm just going to drop it off at the dealership and let them deal with it if it's within budget.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:59 AM
steve20607
3rd Gear
Does anyone know if the price differences ($193-$450) in some of the hub-bearing combo are due to the bearings themselves being made of better quality materials? Or is it just the various sellers own mark-ups?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM
MrCooperS
Turns out it is the driver's side front wheel bearing. Goes to show sometimes you can't trust your ears.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:50 PM
gbooth4
Neutral
Does anyone know of a rear wheel bearing upgrade to taper roller bearings that is available? It would be fanastic if they was one, maybe too good to be true!

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Joe Doeing
Neutral
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Because I had never heard of anyone having this problem....and since I thought it was tire noise for a long time......I went a long while without having the problem fixed. And as you mentioned, it gets worse fast......BUT...I don't think you'll ever get play in the wheel. Even after being shot for a good few months, there was zero sign of play in the wheel....and the regular test of shaking the wheel to notice play showed no signs of bearing issues despite obviously being a bearing problem.

Just a heads up for those who are used to checking for bearing issues by looking at the play in the wheels.
i have an '06 base model and had a lot of noise and vibration in the rear driver side, no play and had it changed at 60k miles.it went bad again very quickly and replaced again however that one went bad too after 300miles this time with play....and lots of it. i must have another problem but usually if its just noise you won't have much play in the wheel but if the abs light and/or tire pressure indicator light come on (because the sensor pickups are in the wheel hub) then there will probably be some play in the wheel

Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 PM
carlitosway
1st Gear
My car is making a noise when i turn my steering wheel counterclockwise. I can hear some kind of metal noise coming out from the front passenger wheel.
I stop and shake the tire and it feels loose. does this is a sign of a bad wheel hub or not?
I will check tomorrow the tire see if the bolts have the right torque.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
ntednagig
1st Gear
Well if you hear a grinding/ howling noise when you turn CC its cause your car is rolling most weight onto the front right putting a load onto the wheel making the bearing loud. And if you can "wiggle" the wheel that deff. A bad bearing.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing problem. Anyone else has this?