Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Howling/ fan sound when shifting

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:46 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howling/ fan sound when shifting

I did a search and could not find anything like this. Kind of hard to search for.

When I shift, at least in lower gears, I hear a fan sound winding down afterwards. This is completely in conjunction to the windup and down of the motor as you shift and build up momentum and accelerate. It seems to be more pronounced when the a/c is on. If it helps it sounds like the pirate ship at the fair as it rushes side to side when it is swinging.

THis may have been happening for a little while but since I am usually listening to music I cannot hear it.

I just got back from vacation. The day before I left my wife took the car and I took hers to get the oil changed before we drove it to florida and back. We took my car later that day to dinner and that is when I first heard the noise.

When we got back I drove the car and the noise is still present. Be aware that the noise is not very loud and when I put the window down the air going by covered it up even at 10 miles per hour.

I have checked the oil and everything I can think of and nothing is out of the ordinary. The car runs perfectly fine but the noise is there if listened for.

Anybody got any ideas?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope. But we're working on it. Could you be a little clearer on your discription of the sound? The pirate ship example kinda confused me.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:53 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Think of it as a fan that spins up when you shift and back down as soon as you push in the clutch to change gears.

From my V8 truck it would sound like the fan clutch had gone bad and was always engaged. You wouldn't really hear it when accelerating but you would hear it spin down when the clutch was pushed in.

I wish I could describe it better but do not know what else to use. I guess the only other thing that comes to mind if you are at a amusement park and near a roller coaster when it goes by. It sounds kind of like the rushing sound it makes but not near as loud. If you weren't looking for it it would take a little while to notice it.

Could be just the heat and a/c but I am not sure. I may run it to the dealer but they are an hour-an-a-half away.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you re-create it while the car is sitting still, or does it have to be moving?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:45 PM
TyF
Neutral
ive noticed the same sound in my 02 mcs. doesnt seem to happen when the ac is off, only when the ac is on. Almost sounds like a turbo when you shift...

Old 06-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have the a/c on when you hear the noise, turn it off. In hotter weather the a/c compressor works harder, and if the sound is more like a whirring, it's coming from the compressor. Completely normal in 1st gens, if a tad annoying.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:39 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
Issue happened only when moving. I checked it out further and it is the a/c. Funny thing is I did not notice it last year. Must have run the radio more back then.