Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

OEM Dunlop Sport 01 DSST

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008 | 09:14 PM
scott1lori1
|
Neutral
OEM Dunlop Sport 01 DSST

Has anyone had experience with these tires? The reviews I read are awful. I just purchase a set of web spoke design with these tires on. They are practically new, however they do ride a bit harsh compared to the Continental Conti Pro Contact that were on my other wheels. The performance appears to be better but with a much harsher ride. Does anyone have experience with these tires over an extended period? Does anyone have good experience with other performance run flats?

Old 06-19-2008 | 12:29 PM
scabpicker
3rd Gear
The Z01s were the first set of runflats I have had. Compared to the Dunlop Z1's they got replaced with, they had no grip, and rode horribly. I did get to experience their run flat abilities. On the front, you will probably notice the change in handling with a flat about the same time the tire monitor will. I did, the car was pulling under acceleration and breaking. On the rear, I did not notice it until the monitor went off.

No one on this board has recommended a better runflat from what I have seen. I took the advice to go to regular tires, and the car drives much, much better.

Old 06-19-2008 | 01:36 PM
scott1lori1
|
Neutral
Thanks for the input. I'm assuming that most of those that had these tires on their car kept them and are fine with the ride and the performance/handling. I am aware that the standard tires ride better, but I was hoping to find some good experience with the Dunlop runflats from someone. I have not heard anyone with another runflat tire that they would recommend.

Old 06-23-2008 | 01:35 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I have these on my clubman and love them. Yes the have a harsh ride but I'm used to a full size pickup. They stick to the road like glue and allow me to have fun avoiding all the potholes and other bumps in the road.

Now if these were on my 525iT wagon that would probably be another story. The 525iT is a luxury car that handles like a sports car. And it should have the nice soft ride. I run the Dunlop SP Sport 2000E on the 525iT they were the OEM tire. I have tried other tires but none preformed as well as the Dunlop SP Sport 2000E so i am sticking with them.

I may try other tires when it comes time to replace these but only time will tell.

Old 06-26-2008 | 11:33 AM
Psychout
1st Gear
I have these tires on my MCS 2008 w/web spoke rims (sports suspension setup) and did notice the harsh ride...however in saying that I live in Toronto where there are the worst roads I've seen in a long time (huge potholes)...each time I hit a big pot hole I worry that the tires will blow out.

I think I'm going to go with non-run flats and just rely on the road side assistance and also have a tire fill emergency kit.

Will also save me quite a bit of $$$

Old 06-26-2008 | 07:17 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
I have the OEM 17" Dunlop Sport 01 DSST on Scrappy and yes they do ride firmer then regular tires due to their thicker tire construction.Seems they do protect against some nails punctures as I found out a few days ago and it didn't go through like it would have with regular performance tires.

As a precaution I did just buy a Dynaplug tire repair kit and a mini air compressor to keep in the hatch area just in case.

I really do dislike these tires but at least Dunlop warranties against nail punctures in them for the first 12 months at an authorized Dunlop dealer.