Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivetrain Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:33 PM
MINImole
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Had lunch with the Mini tech before i ordered and glad i did

Care to share the highlights of your conversation?

As a possible future MINI owner I'd appreciate any info you could give me that might influence my choice of options or transmissions!!

Like Ian I've also found this a scary read...and is it true that MINI uses a plastic throwout bearing?

Last edited by MINImole; 08-16-2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: addition of question
Old 09-02-2008, 12:28 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well there is signs of progress

1st. The gearbox thud is confirmed normal. Both an MC at DTM and an MC at Ferman could both produce that thud under the same conditions. Kinda crazy and all us R56 owners may one day loose 3rd gear

2nd. The clicking was confirmed not normal and they are going to fix it. The issue I have is that they are only ordering me a pressure plate because they deemed that the cause. So I have been riding around for over 10,000 miles with a bad pressure plate and all they are going to fix is that??? This thing engages at different points on its own and has been malfunctioning for way too long. I have even asked a few people I know and they agree I should be AT LEAST getting a new clutch disk and throw out bearing just for good measures since they are already doing all the work to get to the pressure plate.
Anyone else agree?

Also what really sucks is I can't get a loaner because I'm 19 (almost 20). I have to be 21. So not only have I put many miles on the car going to DTM to have this looked at, but today had to put 160+ miles (about $20 in gas) on the car and will have to do it again when the parts come in and then I may have to wait or schedule another form of transport if they need to keep it overnight (which I'm sure it will it's supposed to take a long time to get to the clutch).
It's really frustrating. I tried to get this all done and fixed before school started, but now it had to carry on past that and now they may need to keep my car! It is such a hassle and I have been put way out for all this crap

Old 09-03-2008, 08:03 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Anyone have any insight? Am I right to think I need more since it has been malfunctioning for so long?

Old 09-04-2008, 03:57 AM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Originally Posted by checkercoop
...The issue I have is that they are only ordering me a pressure plate because they deemed that the cause. So I have been riding around for over 10,000 miles with a bad pressure plate and all they are going to fix is that??? This thing engages at different points on its own and has been malfunctioning for way too long. I have even asked a few people I know and they agree I should be AT LEAST getting a new clutch disk and throw out bearing just for good measures since they are already doing all the work to get to the pressure plate.
Anyone else agree?
I agree also that you should.But the thing with warranty repairs is they replace what is found to be defective/bad and nothing more.Now if they find that the clutch disc and throwout bearing were adversely affected by the faulty pressure plate when they take it apart I would imagine they will replace those too since it is a labor intensive repair to begin with.I would suggest you talk with your SA and see what he/she says.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Yeah i sent him an email and I'm also speaking with BMW NA (they contacted me weeks before I took it in because they got wind of my issue). It just sucks because I can't get a loaner because I'm not 21. Honestly it's ridiculous. I payed for that service when I bought it from my dealer. I should go ask for a refund on that part since I can't use it haha

It's just they picked the worse time. I went in to my local dealer again over a month ago to show them it has gotten worse and see if they could fix it before school started. Got the same answer "functions properly right now so can't replace right now." So figured I'd have better luck at a different dealer. Unfortunately that is 80 miles away (wasn't so bad when they were setting me up for a loan until they had the car fixed, but nope I find out when I'm there that I can't). Now I will have to put another 160 miles on the car (Another $20+ in gas) plus I have to find my own way back home when I drop it off!! My dealer should have fixed it in the first place that is my main point. I have put a good 600 miles going back and forth for this problem and a good amount of money and time.

Sorry end of rant

Last edited by checkercoop; 09-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
^^checkercoop it's not a rant it's frustration which we all understand.

And I hate bringing Scrappy in for the same repair that should have been fixed the first time out which wastes my time and gas.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Haha thank you. I think MINI gets away with this because they know we love these cars too much to give up on the brand haha. It's unfortunate though because it seems like they have gotten main stream. They've sold out. Used to it sounded like all the dealer employees drove MINIs and were caring, accommodating enthusiasts. Not so much anymore (at least for some)

Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well I am waiting right now at the dealer. They actually had it down in a few hours and I got to see the old clutch. It looked brand new and they said it was definitely a defect of the pressure plate because it was also not putting the proper amount of pressure down. I can't wait to show that to the other dealer who didn't want to fix it thinking it was my fault. Will get pics up tonight of the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel

Old 10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Ok things are getting worse instead of better. You know in a bad experience how something turns around and makes you not care as much, well it went the other way. So after they put the new clutch on, I checked real quick and could still slightly hear the clicking and had them check it. They had 2 lead techs check it they all agreed it was normal. Now that I made it home, it is loader and sounds just like it did originally (although the clutch peddle itself has a little less texture to it. So now I am more mad I had to put over 510 miles on my car to have the fixed at another dealer and now the whole problem wasn't fully the pressure plate. I thank the other dealer for replacing it, but now when I take it to my local dealer they have to find a fix because they cannot deny the clutch since its already been changed. This is ridiculous I paid for a new car, now I have to pay for an old sounding one that I have to fight to get repaired

Old 10-07-2008, 03:12 PM
NZ_M3
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That squeak you hear when you push the clutch in with the gear in neutral is a faulty clutch master cylinder - it's inside the car under the dash - sometimes they can take it apart and refit the seals to correct it, sometimes they can't.

That clacking noise when you change gear is definitely something internal in the gearbox, nothing to do with the clutch, release bearing or pressure plate - I'd demand a new gearbox.

I'd say all your issues were originally caused by the faulty clutch master and is consistent with the noise that's now developing in the gearbox - i.e. when you press the clutch to disengage it wasn't disengaging properly, so you've been wearing down on the synchrons in the gearbox which have now lead to this noise.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
See the big problem is that that gearbox noise was actually proved normal at 2 different dealers on identical cars. I sat in with them and we could produce the sound so it seems to be more of a design issue.

The other thing with the clicking is it is more on the outside than internal. It is loudest with the windows down and can be heard directly around the tranny under the hood. Maybe slave cylinder?

We'll see what happens I guess

Old 10-07-2008, 09:02 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by checkercoop
See the big problem is that that gearbox noise was actually proved normal at 2 different dealers on identical cars. I sat in with them and we could produce the sound so it seems to be more of a design issue.

The other thing with the clicking is it is more on the outside than internal. It is loudest with the windows down and can be heard directly around the tranny under the hood. Maybe slave cylinder?

We'll see what happens I guess
Try driving one of their new cars to hear the noises and fell the differences. I did not read this whole thread so I may be repeating, but did an independent factory rep take a look at the car? If not, you can request one. Make sure you have a list of things for him to evaluate, rank order by importance.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
I noticed this too. While at a drive thru, waiting in line, I started bumping through the gears. I thought to myself, the linkage was really loud. I had a Jeep Wrangler with a Heavy Duty NV3550 manual trans (pick up tranny) and it was as loud as the MINI I think it has to do with the linkage, maybe there is too much slop.

I don't worry about it. If it falls out, I get a new one.

If it gets to much for you (I know some people have issues with noisy cars) trade it in for a honda or something.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
I noticed this too. While at a drive thru, waiting in line, I started bumping through the gears. I thought to myself, the linkage was really loud. I had a Jeep Wrangler with a Heavy Duty NV3550 manual trans (pick up tranny) and it was as loud as the MINI I think it has to do with the linkage, maybe there is too much slop.

I don't worry about it. If it falls out, I get a new one.

If it gets to much for you (I know some people have issues with noisy cars) trade it in for a honda or something.

Good luck.

Yeah but the noise into 3rd from 2nd is even louder while moving. Try just getting some speed (20-30), hold in the clutch and move the shifter from 2nd to 3rd a couple of times of faster shifts and you will hear an even louder clunk.

The problem with it dying is that I wanted to keep it past warrantee, but if its going to dye from a design defect then I am forced to not keep it past that.

Noises do bug me, but not enough to not have a MINI haha

Old 10-08-2008, 05:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Yes but the problem is not related to the actual transmission assembly. Mine has been pristine so far. The clutch problems in the R56 and the hit or miss Getrag reliability in the second gen MINIs were reason enough to skip the manual transmission and get the Aisin slushbox.
+1 on that. Many repeated visits to my dealer to fix the nagging clutch/dmf problems on my R53 forced me to forego any BMW product with a manual transmission. the LuK clutches and dmfs are total crap, and are the weak link in the drivetrain system.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MINImole
Like Ian I've also found this a scary read...and is it true that MINI uses a plastic throwout bearing?
yes. LuK clutches use high-impact plastic TOBs.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Yeah this experience has pushed me to want the aisin on my next MINI

Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Checkercoop,

I feel the frustration in your posts...

Very soon you have to decide what you want, ie lemon, fix, get out of a Mini etc and go for it. Otherwise this could go on forever if you are not lucky or shorten your short life.

I had a similar experience on my Porsche so I understand. They bought it back at a great price.