Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Drivetrain Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:49 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drivetrain Woes

So that clicking in my clutch peddle has gotten worse and the noisey gear box I experience a while ago has too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsY4Orvu7E

Tell me what you think and if I should go to the dealer asap or just wait...I went in a few months ago about the clicking and they said they couldn't do anything about it yet because it functions fine, which I understand, but it now may have assisted the tranny noise. In the video, the clanking part is me holding the clutch to the floor and shifting back and forth from 2nd to 3rd (makes the clank going into 3rd...and it only does this noise while moving...if I try it still its not loud like that, so maybe syncros have gone bad?)...and the clicking you will here when I'm back in the garage. It is louder and more thumpier with the engine running, and more clicks when engine is off.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:27 PM
r56mini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your car seems to have too much character. I would definitely have a talk with my MINI if it had that much character.

Old 06-21-2008, 06:40 AM
GregO
4th Gear
yikes

Checkercoop,

Yikes! Yeah, I'd say it's dealertime - scares me to think mine may be headed in that direction given some similar sounds creeping in. Most of that sounds rather abnormal (sounds only normal for some vehicles with over 100,000 miles on the odometer).

Your cameraman/hood passenger looked to have a good ride.

Let us know what happens...
Greg

Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by GregO
Checkercoop,

Yikes! Yeah, I'd say it's dealertime - scares me to think mine may be headed in that direction given some similar sounds creeping in. Most of that sounds rather abnormal (sounds only normal for some vehicles with over 100,000 miles on the odometer).

Your cameraman/hood passenger looked to have a good ride.

Let us know what happens...
Greg
Are you getting the clanking in the gear box or the clicking in the clutch?

Haha no thats a suction cup camera mount

http://www.on-sitewireless.com/panav...l?currency=USD

Old 06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Take that right to the dealer. Make sure you get a new clutch and flywheel at a minimum and possibly a new tranny.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:21 PM
MiniBella
4th Gear
+1 Your dealer needs to address this NOW! Still drivable/functioning is not an acceptable answer.

Old 06-21-2008, 03:40 PM
GregO
4th Gear
clanking

So far, I only get the clanking and clacking (just over 2,000 miles on an 08 MC); I've yet to hear (and don't want) the clicking clutch.

Originally Posted by checkercoop
Are you getting the clanking in the gear box or the clicking in the clutch?

Haha no thats a suction cup camera mount

http://www.on-sitewireless.com/panav...l?currency=USD

Old 06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
So far, I only get the clanking and clacking (just over 2,000 miles on an 08 MC); I've yet to hear (and don't want) the clicking clutch.
Yeah I had noticed extra noise going into 3rd for a long time...I think around 4000 miles I had asked the SM if its normal for manuals to be louder...neither of us thought much on it, but now at 9700 miles it is a thud and clank now and the good thing is they know I've asked about it so it shouldn't be too difficult to get covered...the clutch definitely cuz that clicking is documented

Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
GregO
4th Gear
drivetrain noise

Anybody have any success in fixing or at least mitigating drivetrain noise? Mine is beginning to bother me a lot (after 15 minutes of driving, shifting creates too much noise). Dealer of course didn't find anything unusual, but I honestly don't believe they looked. Greg

Old 07-27-2008, 08:58 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Anybody have any success in fixing or at least mitigating drivetrain noise? Mine is beginning to bother me a lot (after 15 minutes of driving, shifting creates too much noise). Dealer of course didn't find anything unusual, but I honestly don't believe they looked. Greg
The only thing I have noticed will stop that thud I have into 3rd gear is by shifting slow. Faster shifts give me thud. I have an appointment for Monday Aug 11th to have my problems looked at.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:08 PM
Defcon888
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried a different MTF? I think I read a post somewhere saying the new 6 speeds use some fluid equivalent to ATF.. perhaps a thicker fluid would make everything a lot smoother?

With only 500 miles on my new Coop, shifting into 2nd both feels and sounds like breaking a chicken leg. My 3rd is as smooth as butter, though.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:01 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Well kinda disappointing. Went in yesterday and they did realize that the clicking has gotten a lot worse, but they still wont replace it yet because it is functioning. The only comforting thing is I basically have a free clutch replacement for the life of the car which is actually a good thing since I want to keep this car well over 100,000 miles.

Something kinda disappointing for the getrag is that me and the tech were able to reproduce that very clunking I have going into 3rd on a brand new cooper right off the lot
He agreed that that is very loud (even on the new car). I kinda wish I asked for us to go out on another car, but I can always do that another time, plus he always works on my car so he will know if he hears any different. Kinda scary how loud things tranny can be, which makes me wonder if 3rd gear will die out someday in all their lives.

If you want to see if your tranny can do this too:
1. Put down your windows and be on a really quiet road
2. Start moving. Say up to 30-40 mph
3. Hold in the clutch the whole time through this next move
4. Select 2nd the quickly shift into 3rd
5. Just do this repeatedly back to back.

If it does make the noise I am talking about, it should be a decently loud thud/clunk coming from under the hood at the transmission (driver side). It's not the noise from the actual gear stick in the car, but outside.

Just post up if you can hear that noise if you want to try and remeber, it's on a faster select not a normal, slower gear select.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird. The 6-speed Getrag in my 3+ year old 2005 R53 S is solid and quiet as a bank vault even after 45K+ miles of daily use. Is Getrag experiencing quality issues with the second gen gearboxes?

Old 08-12-2008, 06:23 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Get the automatic. Seriously. No issues with our 6 month old Clubman S.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Get the automatic. Seriously. No issues with our 6 month old Clubman S.
Others had had many

Old 08-12-2008, 07:01 PM
JCR1960
5th Gear
Unfortunately like Cybergypsy mentioned there is a minor problem with some of the shifter interlocks on the automatics as I am one that has that particular problem.Not sure if it affects certain build dates but my build date was March 2008.Where others have had zero problems.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
GregO
4th Gear
wait...

Ccoop - Wait, wait, wait. Dealer says b/c it functions fine, but sounds abnormal, they won't replace it!!!??? That's a load of crap. Your dealer needs to step up to the plate and do what's right. Mine is annoyingly noisy, but nothing close to yours...Greg

Well kinda disappointing. Went in yesterday and they did realize that the clicking has gotten a lot worse, but they still wont replace it yet because it is functioning. The only comforting thing is I basically have a free clutch replacement for the life of the car which is actually a good thing since I want to keep this car well over 100,000 miles.

Something kinda disappointing for the getrag is that me and the tech were able to reproduce that very clunking I have going into 3rd on a brand new cooper right off the lot
He agreed that that is very loud (even on the new car). I kinda wish I asked for us to go out on another car, but I can always do that another time, plus he always works on my car so he will know if he hears any different. Kinda scary how loud things tranny can be, which makes me wonder if 3rd gear will die out someday in all their lives.

If you want to see if your tranny can do this too:
1. Put down your windows and be on a really quiet road
2. Start moving. Say up to 30-40 mph
3. Hold in the clutch the whole time through this next move
4. Select 2nd the quickly shift into 3rd
5. Just do this repeatedly back to back.

If it does make the noise I am talking about, it should be a decently loud thud/clunk coming from under the hood at the transmission (driver side). It's not the noise from the actual gear stick in the car, but outside.

Just post up if you can hear that noise if you want to try and remeber, it's on a faster select not a normal, slower gear select.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
Others had had many
Please elaborate with corresponding links.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:24 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Ccoop - Wait, wait, wait. Dealer says b/c it functions fine, but sounds abnormal, they won't replace it!!!??? That's a load of crap. Your dealer needs to step up to the plate and do what's right. Mine is annoyingly noisy, but nothing close to yours...Greg
Yeah what really sucked is how we could get the same tranny noise out of a cooper on the lot. The clutch is definitely something that the others cannot reproduce, in fact, they show how bad off mine is. Honestly, I am glad they aren't replacing it now because I was really thinking of buying the extended maintenance just because it covered the clutch up to 100,000 miles, but now the clutch and really the transmission is covered for life so I may get to save my pennies and do all the maintenance myself. My worry was that my clutch would die say at 40-50k, but now it wont matter and it wont cost me a dime, so I actually win haha. I want to keep the car well past 100,000 miles so if I have to deal with a clicking/textured clutch for 40-70k then its fine with me if that gets me a free one. I don't think the clutch will last that long tho, or, at least, the throwout bearing wont because that is probably the big culprit to the clicking.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCR1960
Unfortunately like Cybergypsy mentioned there is a minor problem with some of the shifter interlocks on the automatics as I am one that has that particular problem.Not sure if it affects certain build dates but my build date was March 2008.Where others have had zero problems.
Yes but the problem is not related to the actual transmission assembly. Mine has been pristine so far.

The clutch problems in the R56 and the hit or miss Getrag reliability in the second gen MINIs were reason enough to skip the manual transmission and get the Aisin slushbox.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Make sure the dealer puts that "Covered for life" claim on your clutch and transmission in WRITING. Otherwise, it is worthless hot air to keep you away in hopes that either or will fail post-warranty and you will be stuck with a huge repair bill.

Don't believe any claims of "covered repairs for life" from your dealer unless these are put in a piece of paper.

Yeah what really sucked is how we could get the same tranny noise out of a cooper on the lot. The clutch is definitely something that the others cannot reproduce, in fact, they show how bad off mine is. Honestly, I am glad they aren't replacing it now because I was really thinking of buying the extended maintenance just because it covered the clutch up to 100,000 miles, but now the clutch and really the transmission is covered for life so I may get to save my pennies and do all the maintenance myself. My worry was that my clutch would die say at 40-50k, but now it wont matter and it wont cost me a dime, so I actually win haha. I want to keep the car well past 100,000 miles so if I have to deal with a clicking/textured clutch for 40-70k then its fine with me if that gets me a free one. I don't think the clutch will last that long tho, or, at least, the throwout bearing wont because that is probably the big culprit to the clicking.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Make sure the dealer puts that "Covered for life" claim on your clutch and transmission in WRITING. Otherwise, it is worthless hot air to keep you away in hopes that either or will fail post-warranty and you will be stuck with a huge repair bill.

Don't believe any claims of "covered repairs for life" from your dealer unless these are put in a piece of paper.
Oh yeah trust me I know. I have plenty of time and need to see what they will do while it is still under warrantee. When it gets closer to warrantee up time (if nothings been replaced by then) I will demand either that in writing or to fix it right now.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Engender
3rd Gear
Oh yeah trust me I know. I have plenty of time and need to see what they will do while it is still under warrantee. When it gets closer to warrantee up time (if nothings been replaced by then) I will demand either that in writing or to fix it right now.
Whoa, brother, I would get it in writing ASAP. If you don't, it is VERY possible that the person who promised you they would warrantee the clutch for life may leave the dealership and no one will be there that "remembers."

Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Please elaborate with corresponding links.
Had lunch with the Mini tech before i ordered and glad i did

Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Ian Venieri
3rd Gear
Any promise made verbally or in writing by anybody short of a person listed in the Corporate Book's Minutes as an "officer" is worthless and stands no chance to see the inside of a court of law.

That being said, I find this Stock Problems/Issues thread a very scary read.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Woes