Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Silver Interior Paint

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver Interior Paint

I was wondering if anyone knows of a silver paint (preferably spray can) that matches the interior.(2006 MCS) I have some scratches on parts...then I ordered the MINI armrest a year or so ago. I just now opened the box to install it, and the cup holder trim is scratched from shipping. (I know...I waited too long to install it. ) I've seen a few threads on this, but they all seem to come to a dead end. Has anyone found a paint that matches...or is at least pretty close. I'm not just going to touch it up...I'm going to refinish the parts that need it. (So, if it doesn't match exactly, you probably won't know) I do remember seeing a thread where a guy cut his downtube to make more room for his leg. He filled the spot and repainted it. I couldn't find the thread. It was quite some time ago, but I figure he must have found a paint that came pretty close to matching. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.

Seth

Old 06-22-2008, 03:10 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
Paint Codes

I've previously posted all the MINI paint codes I could find on the Sherwin-Automotive web site

Unfortunately, I don't see a listing for an interior silver

http://www.sunshineminis.org/forums/...ic.php?t=16182

Old 06-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Xymox
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found a solution for you, Seth. I just bought an ashtray and there was a a very small scratch on the side of the the ashtray lid. I used Elmer's Metallic (Silver) Painters (available in three sizes: medium, fine, and ultra fine). Now this isn't an absolute perfect match, but it's really darn close. Obviously it depends how big your scratch(es) are. I'm sure you can find them at your local Wal*Mart, Target, or an arts and crafts store. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:25 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Xymox! Unfortunately, I couldn't find the Elmer's, so I looked and found FolkArt 662 Metallic Silver Sterling(Fabric Department - Wal*Mart. Anyplace with craft supplies should have it)...and used a toothpick to apply it. It worked perfectly. I can't even find the places that I touched up. Of course, I just had a lot of small little chips. Another good thing is that it's water-based, and very easy to wipe off and reapply. So, motorers that are looking for a touchup solution for interior silver, you actually have three cheap solutions that I've found.

1) If it's a scuff that doesn't go all the way through the paint: Try Stratch-X. It will remove the scuff. The only drawback is that it also polishes the paint. This means that the Mat (or Flat...not sure what it's officially called) Silver that's on the downtubes, cup holders, door bars, etc. will become more glossy. The more you use it...the more glossy it gets. I used this on a bad scuff that was on one of my cup holders. When the paint is glossy it looks exactly like the silver around the speedo, etc. It's easy to work on it and get a gradual change to glossy...so it doesn't abruptly change from mat to gloss. Mine looks pretty good...you can't tell what I've done to it.

2)
Elmer's Metallic (Silver) Painters Thanks Shane!

3) FolkArt 662 Metallic Silver Sterling and a toothpick.

If you find other options, please post them here.

Last edited by MiniSuperCooper; 07-04-2008 at 09:44 AM.