Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Check engine light (MAP) sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 01:54 PM
junglemini17
|
2nd Gear
Check engine light (MAP) sensor?

My mom has an 2007 MCS w/ JCW kit. The previous owner of the car put a alta map sensor riser on there. The check engine light has come on twice now since we purchased the car, it has like 8,000 miles on it, dealership said its becuase of the riser. I was wondering if anyone else has one on their's and if they have the same problem.

Old 06-29-2008 | 12:00 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by junglemini17
My mom has an 2007 MCS w/ JCW kit. The previous owner of the car put a alta map sensor riser on there. The check engine light has come on twice now since we purchased the car, it has like 8,000 miles on it, dealership said its becuase of the riser. I was wondering if anyone else has one on their's and if they have the same problem.
I'm assuming that by "riser" you mean the adapter used to connect a vaccum line for a boost gauge. Many people have one including myself. I haven't had a problem with it, but I did have to shorten the screw that holds it on when I installed it. There is a chance that whoever installed the one on your car had a similar issue with the length of the screw. They may have not either shortened the screw or shortened it too much causing a loose connection between the MAP and the manifold.

Old 06-29-2008 | 07:26 PM
junglemini17
|
2nd Gear
It has im assuming the same screw that the kit came with. So does that mean i need to get a semi smaller screw? Does the longer screws cause problems?

Old 06-30-2008 | 06:24 PM
Xray'dit_Mini
3rd Gear
the screw that came with mine was too long, so the sensor was not held firmly down. I dont know if it was a fluke or what???
The easiest way to check it that's the prob is to remove the airbox. the MAP is located right under it. If it's an ALTA adapter that was used, then it will stare you right in the face because it's bright red and says alta on it. Just check and see if the screw is secure and holds the sensor down all the way. If it doesn't, then take it out and shorten it a couple of threads.

hope that helps

Old 06-30-2008 | 08:26 PM
junglemini17
|
2nd Gear
It was on there nice adn snug, the dealer ship keep saying that its a false explosion sensor that is causing the check engine light and that the map sensor thing from alta is causing it . So im not sure what to do.

Old 07-01-2008 | 06:50 AM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by junglemini17
It was on there nice adn snug, the dealer ship keep saying that its a false explosion sensor that is causing the check engine light and that the map sensor thing from alta is causing it . So im not sure what to do.
I seriously doubt the ALTA riser could be causing the problem. The part from ALTA makes it so that you can tap into the MAF line with tubing to get the boost readings without having to drill into the manifold.

It can easily be tested, remove the ALTA MAF component and watch the CEL continue. You'll be without your boost gauge temporarily but I'm sure you could live that. If the previous owner took the boost gauge out, well then, there isn't any point in having the part installed unless you plan on adding a boost gauge back in as the purpose of the part is to let you tap into the MAF so you can run a tube to a sensor which will read the boost pressure and send the pressure reading along to a boost gauge.

Old 07-01-2008 | 07:09 AM
junglemini17
|
2nd Gear
Yeah, i took it off, and the boost guage he actually left is non op now. Its my moms car so its not a big deal to her, i think the dealership effed something up when they put on the JCW kit on that car and they are trying to cover their a$$es. But we'll see check engine light came on again yesterday.