Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Rust on the New Mini Cooper!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust on the New Mini Cooper!!

Guys,

I just took deliver my new 08 Mini Cooper PW.
After the first rain, I wash my PW mini, and discover, a crack fine line at the Front Passenger Fender.

See attached.
This is obviously a manufacturing or dealer fault.
I think this should be dealer's fault right?
They should replace the fender or rework it without charging me?
I guess the rust perforation is this right?
This is totally unbelievable!!! New car!! with rust delivering to customer??
Rust on the New Mini Cooper!!-passenger-fender-rust-1.jpg

Rust on the New Mini Cooper!!-passenger-fender-rust-2.jpg

Rust on the New Mini Cooper!!-passenger-fender-rust-3.jpg

Old 06-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Weirdness.. did you verify that it was not repaired at the port? I'd be having a conversation with your dealer. They should never have delivered the car like that.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:35 PM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
Another question.
On my doors inside, i have those yellow sticky glue.... like oil or something
What is that?
My dealer said they are anti-rust.... is this true?
Or are they lieing to me?

Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
Its hard to tell whats going on 100% by the pics, but the 2nd photo almost looks like there was some body work done, or that the paint has bubbles coming up from under the surface.

anyway, the mini has a 40K bumper to bumper warranty, so it will be covered.

FYI, I own a vehicle customizing shop and do take in some dealer work, mostly graphics, but also the occassional body repair. you would be shocked by how many "new" cars have been repaired before reaching the customer.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:01 PM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The sticky yellow stuff is just the cosmoline they put on to prevent rust from all the salt on the boat ride over. The car will leak it for a while when it heats up. Make sure you wipe it clean because this stuff stains. It is a pain because now I have stains in the engine bay (hard to reach, but can be seen), but good thing nothing on the exterior haha

Yes I would take it to the dealer soon. That is nothing they can really try and blame you for because I don't see how anyone could pinch the paint/leave a mark under the paint. I don't think its rust, but maybe a mishap during the painting process? or something idk

Old 06-29-2008, 09:09 PM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
The line is clearly visible, and very very straight line, bubbles is start to come up.
I didn't try to pry it, I want the dealer to take a look first.
The bad thing about the delivery is that the dealer is so dark at the first place.
So I can't really sees what's has been done to the car.
The car is not even delivered for 1 week. I should have my rights to get it repaired. What if they say that's normal?

Old 06-29-2008, 09:13 PM
muladesigns1
6th Gear
its not normal for paint to crack and chip from a brand new car. and from what service ive received when taking my mini to the dealer, i wouldnt worry. the service has always been honest and top notch.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:33 PM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
It's fairly bad to say I took the Pepper White color.
I cannot believe they can delivered my car like this, when I see they clearly did the PDI. (Pre-delivery Inspection)

Old 06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call your state attorney general's office if the dealership will not fix this, but be nice and call your MA first. I'm sure they will make this right for you. One should not see this kind of flaw when taking delivery of a new car, regardless of how it happened.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 AM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
Thx Guys,

I'll post update when I get reply from my MA.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:00 PM
baggerben
2nd Gear
any news?

Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 AM
ohnoyuji
1st Gear
Hey~ there,

I've been to the dealer, and they said its not their fault.
They keep saying it must be me or road debris, or probably someone using a screwdriver to scratch that damage.
It's so BS....
Anyhow, they will pay the repair schedule in August!!! (A month from now)

It just makes no sense when a new vehicle is delivered this way.
(Partially to be blame that I couldn't pay attention and review this damage upon delivery. However, I've done most of the stuff with the delivery check list. The sales seems quite expect the vehicle have no problem, and makes me to sign all the paper done immediately at the delivery. Shame.....)

Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 AM
BigSky
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Krut
Weirdness.. did you verify that it was not repaired at the port? I'd be having a conversation with your dealer. They should never have delivered the car like that.
I'd look into this more, do you know how to check if there were repairs at the port? From your photos it looks to be under the paint, not scratched. I'd get Mini involved as the dealer might be trying to cover their a**!

From my point of view your car is devalued even after a repair. When I bought my first new car (a 91 Honda CRX) I noticed a bulge in the hood as I pulled out of the lot. On further inspection it appeared as though the hood had been closed with a wrench or something left on the motor and it bulged the hood. They resisted because I signed the papers but there was no way I did that. They offer to repair it but I didn't want a damaged/repaired car (it was black) I wanted the new car I was paying for! I called Honda and they ended up sending a rep to the dealer. In the end the dealer had to replace my car with a new undamaged one.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:30 AM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
ya i have a rust problem too. im losing faith on MINI now. it is my dream car. in my case. i guess it is expected. i bought a "brand new" 2006 base MINI last year(2007). it has 13 miles on it. but that car was sitting OUTSIDE their lot for a whole year(or more) needless to say it has experienced rain, sun, snow, thunder... whatever else. i found rust on the screw in the rear wiper and the passenger door latch. the good thing is: the dealer replaced them. no fee. but now i accidentally pushed my side mirror. and i saw a rusted screw again! anyway, i dont even know if you are supposed to move the side mirror like that can you? i know there are side mirrors that you can fold.. i just dont know if mine is... anyway.. im 300 mile short of my maintenace schedule and i will point that out to the dealer. my question is.. will i be in trouble if i tell them to take a look at it when the side mirror is not supposed to be folded or moved like that?

i also was told it is "normal" about the rust spots i mentioned above.. in my mind .. i was like yeah.. right...

Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM
checkercoop
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well usually what they are talking about in the rust maintenance is rust that has eaten through your paint and is actually attacking the body of the car. Certain bolts rust almost instantly when they are exposed to rain (not that they are falling apart, but really just a chemical reaction with certain metals with rain/air). I think I have rust on those bolts as well. When you are washing your car spray down your brake rotors and you will see that in a few minutes they will look rusted over. The metal has a quick/unique reaction with the water/air.

So I have a feeling that they aren't BSing you about the rust on the bolts. Now if you ever had any on the body panels then make sure the replace it without question because that is covered for unlimited miles/12 years

Old 02-15-2009, 02:18 AM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
hi checkercoop you made a good point on the brake rotors. mine is rusted badly all four of them. can i ask the dealer to replace all of them under warranty?

Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 AM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coopermaniac
hi checkercoop you made a good point on the brake rotors. mine is rusted badly all four of them. can i ask the dealer to replace all of them under warranty?
No

Old 02-15-2009, 05:20 PM
coopermaniac
2nd Gear
why? what happen to their 50 yr rust warranty?