Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Possible door adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 02:42 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible door adjustment?

Not a huge problem really, but annoying just the same. Anyone know of a way of adjusting the front doors to stay open at their widest position rather than closing on your legs? Whenever I push either of the front doors open (even gently), they re-close almost immediately, often bruising my legs as I get out. Very annoying and potentially dangerous, especially when my arms are full, or my 83 yr. old mother is trying to get out carrying her oxygen. It's probably because of the weight of the doors, but there should be some sort of minor adjustment that can be made near the inner hinge area or somewhere. I've asked the techs. in the service dept. but they've been no help so far.
Any ideas?

Old 07-03-2008, 03:07 PM
joshK
4th Gear
The only time I've ever experienced what you're describing is when I'm parked on an incline.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:31 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Right, I understand what you're saying (and it happens then too ), but no incline, in this case.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:52 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
There are several threads on the issue, and it all comes down to this just being another part of the overall Mini experience...

Old 07-06-2008, 04:16 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
I've honestly never had this problem...read something about it this weekend for the first time (have no idea what post...maybe Ah-Haa moments?), and then this post is the second time.

I went out to Galileo to check, and his doors stay open without any trouble as long as I've pushed them open far enough - about 15 or 20 degrees. I can feel when I've pushed the door to the point it will stay pretty easily. And as far as having them wide open and staying...I do that every time I drive!!!

I definitely think there's a problem with Max . Maybe go to the dealership and sit in every other Mini on the lot and count how many stay and how many don't...hopefully the ones that DO stay open will outnumber the ones that DON'T and you can convince the service department that there IS a problem.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:54 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubDal
I've honestly never had this problem...read something about it this weekend for the first time (have no idea what post...maybe Ah-Haa moments?), and then this post is the second time.

I went out to Galileo to check, and his doors stay open without any trouble as long as I've pushed them open far enough - about 15 or 20 degrees. I can feel when I've pushed the door to the point it will stay pretty easily. And as far as having them wide open and staying...I do that every time I drive!!!

I definitely think there's a problem with Max . Maybe go to the dealership and sit in every other Mini on the lot and count how many stay and how many don't...hopefully the ones that DO stay open will outnumber the ones that DON'T and you can convince the service department that there IS a problem.
Good suggestion, as I'm headed there Tuesday to have a trim piece replaced. The hard part will be convincing them, and having them come up with a fix.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:21 AM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
Good suggestion, as I'm headed there Tuesday to have a trim piece replaced. The hard part will be convincing them, and having them come up with a fix.
I'm sure that you're up to the challenge . Good luck on Tuesday, and let us know how it goes!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:20 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Thanks for the encouragement; will keep ya "posted".

BTW, I finally ran across that other thread you mentioned over in Coupe Talk, and can see that I'm clearly not alone in this issue. At least that lends a little more credibility to my complaint. As others have mentioned, I may just have to chalk it up to one of the little quirks of MINI ownership and learn to live with it. Not enough to ruin the experience by any means, just mildly annoying.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
BTW, I finally ran across that other thread you mentioned over in Coupe Talk, and can see that I'm clearly not alone in this issue. At least that lends a little more credibility to my complaint. As others have mentioned, I may just have to chalk it up to one of the little quirks of MINI ownership and learn to live with it. Not enough to ruin the experience by any means, just mildly annoying.

Well we certainly don't want the doors cutting your legs off...that would make it rather difficult to drive .

Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
While I was at the dealer today, I did check at least 6-8 other MINIs on the lot and though they are a little better than mine in terms of the doors staying open, I wasn't able to get any action out of the service dept. They said they knew of nothing to adjust or replace, and they haven't had a lot of complaints about it. The tech. also said that usually if enough people have a problem with something, MINI might issue some sort of a Technical Service Bulletin incorporating a fix. Until then, I'll just have to be more careful and deliberate when opening the doors.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:54 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
While I was at the dealer today, I did check at least 6-8 other MINIs on the lot and though they are a little better than mine in terms of the doors staying open, I wasn't able to get any action out of the service dept. They said they knew of nothing to adjust or replace, and they haven't had a lot of complaints about it. The tech. also said that usually if enough people have a problem with something, MINI might issue some sort of a Technical Service Bulletin incorporating a fix. Until then, I'll just have to be more careful and deliberate when opening the doors.

Thanks for filling us in on the results of your trip. Sorry you didn't get better news!!!