Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Loud squeak in left rear when getting out of car

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008 | 04:26 AM
stevenabecker
|
Neutral
Loud squeak in left rear when getting out of car

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this aggravating situation. Occasionally when I get into or out of my '06MCS, there's a loud squeaking noise from the left rear wheel area. It sounds like a squeaky spring but the service manager told me that there are no springs that might make that noise. Could it be associated with the suspension... or possibly the parking brake? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:20 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
under those circumstances, with the ride height changing, at least the following components move - any of them might be binding a bit and cause the squeak:

1. the LR control arm (a.k.a the trailing arm) which has a large joint at its leading edge - about a foot forward of the hub where the arm joins the chassis

2. the LR control arms (a.k.a lateral links) of which there are two - upper and lower - each having a joint at each end

3. the stabilizer bar (a.k.a anti-roll bar) which has three locations that might be suspect - the bushing on the LH side of the bar itself, the upper end link joint, and the lower end link joint

the Bentley manual states that the rear stabilizer bar is located with PTFE bushings that "require no additional lubrication", however...

the judicious use of a SMALL quantity of WD 40, applied carefully using the little extension pipe that slips into the nozzle would be my choice...

i'd be careful to use as little as possible, as too much would just make the joint a dirt magnet, and i'd be extremely careful to ensure no overspray near the brakes nor any possibility that drips or overspray could migrate to the brake disk during operation of the vehicle

would anyone advise against this as a remedy?

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:56 AM
pilotart
6th Gear
What Charlie wrote above looks like very expert advice.

I am 'non-expert' and perhaps overly cautious on use of chemical when I am not sure of side effects. Have heard stories of "WD-40" referred to as 'Water Displacing - Forty Days' but only have personal knowledge of one instance of harm from use of it.

Original Piper Seneca had a rocker switch used to activate engine starters and WD-40 had been used to lube this switch. This caused (over time) a 'sticky' action and the switch remained in the 'Right Engine Starter Engaged' position ruining the expensive (turns backwards) Starter and ring gear for that engine.

I will be interested to see if any other 'first-hand' stories of WD-40 horror are posted. Again, I have no knowledge of 'proper' lube for PTFE Bushings and have never even seen a Bentley Manual.

Old 07-04-2008 | 06:14 AM
miniviper
2nd Gear
rear end squeak

I also have an 06. When my parking brake is on it also has a squeak when the suspension is compressed or releases when getting out of the car. Simple test; leave the brake off and jump in and out, then apply the brake and try it!

Old 07-04-2008 | 08:46 AM
jimmiejo
1st Gear
I had the same squeak, but from the right rear for several days, then it went away.

Old 07-04-2008 | 09:12 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniviper
I also have an 06. When my parking brake is on it also has a squeak when the suspension is compressed or releases when getting out of the car. Simple test; leave the brake off and jump in and out, then apply the brake and try it!
now there's a nice simple solution!

alternatively - perhaps a small mousetrap baited with peanut butter????

Old 07-04-2008 | 09:56 AM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
I had the same noise when my parking brake was adjusted too loosely... meaning it was just barely gripping the rotor and allowing some movement when I got in and out. Pulling the brake another notch or two, and eventually adjusting the brake cable solved it for me.