Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Handbrake Boot Tear Problem/Way to Hide and Fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:20 AM
MiniSuperCooper
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Handbrake Boot Tear Problem/Way to Hide and Fix

I recently installed the OEM Armrest. In the process, I discovered that the interior moving metal parts of the handbrake had worn a hole in the vinyl boot. I inspected it a little more and found a few other places that were beginning to wear. I covered those areas with felt (the kind with the sticky back) and patched the hole by applying Super Glue and folding the torn area. It was low, so you couldn't see it anyway...due to the way it folds while installed on the handbrake. This was just to prevent the hole from getting bigger. I then covered some of the interior metal parts with some felt too. Once again, this is just to prevent anymore wear.

If your boot is still stock, I wouldn't worry. You can't see it anyway. It's folded under...if that makes sense. However, if I were installing leather boots (like the ones from Redline Goods), I might consider taking action to prevent damage to them. The easiest way would be to stick some felt to any sharp metal parts in there. On mine, the left side had a sharp edge. There was also a nut on the right that was beginning to wear. This could have been an oddball problem on mine and not affect anyone else. Just thought I'd put it out there. Take care.

Seth

Old 08-24-2008, 10:26 AM
jubatus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info...just had my son point mine out today...it has torn through on the right side. It aligns to a screw that sticks up.