Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Clicking Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:31 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clicking Brakes!

Has anyone else had a clicking noise when braking?. I get it from the front drivers side constantly and occasionally from both back brakes. It is a single click when I hit the brakes. If I ease onto the brakes, it does not always happen, and if it does, it is not too loud. If I slam on the brakes, it is a very loud click.
My guess is that it is the outer pad sliding and hitting the caliper. I just changed my brakes not too long ago, and this started after I bedded my brakes in. I have carbotech bobcat pads up front, and mintex reds in the back. I find it odd because I have never heard this noise before! I have always had completely silent brakes. My car does have over 100k miles on it.
Is there anything else that it could possibly be? Has anyone else had this problem before?

Keep in mind that this happened as soon as I finished bedding in my brakes. They were smoking like crazy. I am mainly concerned that the heat from bedding may have damaged my brake parts.

Old 07-06-2008, 05:23 PM
AliceCooperWA
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump...

Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Ancient Mariner
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bumped yerself and still no response. Bummer.
I'm thinkin' maybe pads are moving. Does it happen when you back up? Is it everytime you use the brakes -lightly or hard-, and finally: is it more a 'click' or is it like a 'clunk'?
edit
Wait: more (dumb) questions. Can you see if the wire brake clips are still in place? Are the caliper bolts tight?
If it's always happening on a front wheel, try jacking the car up to get that wheel off the ground. Then put it in gear and (gently) let out the clutch (wheel chocks in place! e-brake ON!). With the wheel spinning at a nice clip, hit the brakes. It helps if you've got an assistant for this trick, obviously.
You -or they- can listen for the sound and maybe localize it a little better, possibly even see something amiss.
Hope you figure it out, AC.

Last edited by Ancient Mariner; 07-06-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 AM
CmdrVimes
Stuck in Reverse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My brakes have started making that noise just recently. It's periodic and usually hard to replicate. The way I usually hear it is coming to a stop and letting up on the brake pedal a bit.

Previously (at about 25000 miles) my rear calipers stuck a bit and wore out the pads pretty fast. I believe the issue then was the parking brake cable was getting stuck.

Talking with my friends at the garage they seem to think it could possibly be the pads sticking to the rotor and the noise is them braking loose. At the same time one of them has seen quite a few cars come through with rear calipers that were sticking and beginning to fail.

I figure with the ~94000 miles I have on my car it's time to replace the calipers. So I'm going to order new sets for the front and rear.