Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Difficult to Cold Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Difficult to Cold Start

I have a cold start issue that does not seem related to the valve train chatter described elsewhere.

For several months now, my 2007 R56S has required multiple tries to start when cold (when the engine is cold, not related to the ambient temperature). Originally it required 2-4 tries to start, but now 3 months later is up to 8-12 tries to start after sitting overnight.

I've had it at the dealer 3 times for the problem so far. The first time they found a misfire code, cleared it, and said they hoped the problem would go away. It didn't.

The second time, they said I had bad gas, too much ethanol. I'd been using only Shell or Exxon/Mobil, FWIW. They sold me a bottle of fuel system cleaner. I used it and switched to Sunoco 91, but the problem persisted.

The third time, they said there were numerous codes, but the battery was bad (duh!). They replaced the battery and returned the car to me without testing that the cold start issue was fixed. It wasn't.

They said they would contact the factory to see if they had any suggestions, but after a few weeks, still haven't gotten back to me.

My check-engine warning is persistently on these days, with the message "Increased emissions." Recently, the car entered "reduced power" mode, but that went away after turning it off and letting it cool for an hour or so,

Once the car finally does start and warm up, it runs just fine (except for the recent "reduced power" incident). When the engine is warm, it restarts every time on the first try.

This is getting to be seriously frustrating. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this, and, if so, whether and how it was resolved. Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 AM
cadfael_tex
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of the first generation cars had a similar problem. Mine to a much lesser degree. Opened your post (even though I don't have an R56) because of the problem I'm having. One thing I found on the first generation cars that I found that might be promising for you is well is someone who had this and fixed it with a fuel filter change. Worth a shot?

Old 07-08-2008, 08:44 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had cold start issues with my R53 when I first got it, the solution was to turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds, depress the gas pedal once, then start. Dunno if it'll work for yrs but worth a shot.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like you may have ECU problems. Have they checked it? Too many things going on at once to be different problems. Can you hear the gas pump pressurize when you open the car?

Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The R53 solution does not seem to work for the R56. As far as hearing the gas pump pressurize, not sure I've ever noticed that...not quite sure what I'm listening for.

When I try to start it when cold, the engine cranks fine, but it seems like it's starved for fuel. So maybe something along the lines of the fuel filter or some weirdness in the ECU could account for that?

Old 07-09-2008, 10:19 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Next time you use it, when the car is left sitting for a bit, get close to the left back end of the car, where you pump in gas, and open unlock the car with the FOB, immediately you will hear a "rrrrrrrrrrr" about 3 seconds long, that is the pump pressurizing.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
R56 Ed
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
From what you've posted, it sounds like a fuel supply issue. I agree with the suggestion of replacing the fuel filter (couldn't hurt anything except your wallet), but it sounds more like the fuel pump might not be running properly. As already mentioned, there should be a noticeable electric motor sound when you turn on the ignition, that comes from inside the gas tank. Maybe get someone to try to start your car while you're listening at the fuel filler door (cap closed, but access door opened), or listen close to the gas tank if you can do that safely.

Just out of curiosity, at any time before this started happening did you run your tank down to almost empty? If so, then there is an increased possibility of fuel pump involvement. Please PM if you have questions about why.

Please let us know what happens! And of course, good luck!

Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
npalao
2nd Gear
Just remember that in the R56, the gas pump pressurizes at the moment you unlock the doors, since there is no turning of the key involved!

Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Resolution--Fuel pump

The problem has been resolved, and it looks like Hypnohealer gets the prize for best diagnosis.

While away from home on vacation, I brought the car in to Keeler MINI near Albany, NY and they hypothesized that the problem was a defective fuel pump. They replaced it, the hose, and all the injectors, which they thought might have been contaminated by the pump.

It now starts flawlessly, cold or warm. And I'm a happy motorer again!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:55 PM
mitzidmf
Neutral
Hi Alan

Your experience sounds very similar to ours, and interestingly, we're also in Westchester NY - is your dealer Westchester MINI?

We had the same symptoms, and were also told our gas had a high ethanol content and were sent away with a bottle of cleaner. My wife had always filled it up from the same couple of stations and contacted the local trading standards people. They confirmed that they had recently tested those stations and found no problem.

The symptoms soon returned and got worse until finally the car would not start and was towed to the dealer. This time they diagnosed a faulty fuel pump and replaced it (they also said the gas was still bad, though it had had several fresh tanks from different gas stations in the meantime). On getting the car back we soon noticed an overpowering smell of gas - back to the dealer it went... The attributed the fumes to a defective, leaking fuel pump and fitted another one. We've had it back for 4 days now, seems to be running ok so far. They didn't replace any hoses or injectors on our car. They did test compression and cylinder leakdown. On the MINI2 forum, I've seen old threads about gas leaks from the pumps on early cars, and wonder if the first pump they fitted had the same problem as those cars.

(Though it still has several other, unconnected problems...)

Old 08-04-2008, 06:45 AM
colea
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mitzidmf
Hi Alan

Your experience sounds very similar to ours, and interestingly, we're also in Westchester NY - is your dealer Westchester MINI?
Yes, the dealer that was not able to resolve the problem was Westchester MINI. It was not until I took the car to Keeler MINI near Albany while on vacation that the problem was resolved, so far without any issues. No leaking replacement fuel pump for me, so far (keeping fingers crossed)!

I think maybe the ethanol testing procedure at Westchester MINI is broken. It's seemed to give really suspicious results for both of us.