Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Can Car Wash Rails Change Camber

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can Car Wash Rails Change Camber

Some of you may have seen my post about suspension issues. I went to an automatic car wash today, and when I drove out of the tunnel I noticed my Minis rear suspension (drivers side) didn't have that uneven feel that it has had for weeks.

I checked the rear and it seems that the wheel has less negative camber. could the springs be the issue or the camber plates, because I like the way the car drives now. It feels level on the highway.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't imagine that the car wash would have anything to do with your improved alignment, unless there was a one-in-a-million shot where your car got jammed up for a bit and the conveyor yanked it with just the right amount of force in just the right spot to improve your ride. Not likely. Why not just take it in for an alignment check to see if everything's in spec?

Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 PM
SparklingMini
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had an alignment done a week ago and it didn't solve the issue. I'm thinking the spring or shock is not installed or positioned correctly.

The dealer said they couldn't find anything but we all know how reliable they are. I have an appointment on wednesday and i'm having them take the spring out and remove the shock and inspect...of course they are charging me!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SparklingMini
I had an alignment done a week ago and it didn't solve the issue. I'm thinking the spring or shock is not installed or positioned correctly.

The dealer said they couldn't find anything but we all know how reliable they are. I have an appointment on wednesday and i'm having them take the spring out and remove the shock and inspect...of course they are charging me!
Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem. I would recommend geting MINIUSA involved, they may pick up any cost associated with getting to the bottom of your issue. When you had the alignment check done, did your dealer provide you with a computer printout of all alignment values, including the acceptable spec range for each? I always got one each year when I had my BMW aligned. Without that printout, there's no way of knowing whether the car is really aligned properly.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:44 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Alignment has nothing to do with the car being level (you said it's level now, wasn't before the carwash). Unless it's way out of alignment you probably wouldn't notice anything different until your tires started to wear unevenly. If the rear seems unlevel it's a suspension issue, something not screwed down tight enough. An inspection should show the problem, not an alignment check. A loose suspension part isn't good to drive on either. Not safe if it's a loose spring or coilover or subframe, etc.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you had a lot dirt on your MCS, and washing it lowered the weight on the rear -- reducing the negative camber.